Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I shut my miners down for btc. Was making my server room too hot and I couldn't vent them properly. I was only making like $30 a month with them with free electricity.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
What do you guys use for a miner? In the early days people were just using their PCs, right? But now the purpose built things seem to be all the rage. I was looking at them the other night and I couldn't tell what was different between a $1200 miner and a $200 miner other than that the $200 miner needed a $300 power supply.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I was using Avalon 6, got 3.7 gh/s per machine. The other asic company is bitminer. at this point unless you get free electricity, it's really not economical to mine Bitcoin. It's been centralized to much.

For some alt coins you can use your graphics cards like you could with Bitcoin in the early days.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
What about antminer? Those are on amazon. What do you look for in a good asic? Power consumption and speed, i'd assume. The antminers are 4-13 Th/s (I guess that's the price difference BTW) and draw 1-1.3 KW. How much does yours draw?

I'll have to figure out the power cost, but we have pretty cheap electricity here so I might be OK.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
What about antminer? Those are on amazon. What do you look for in a good asic? Power consumption and speed, i'd assume. The antminers are 4-13 Th/s (I guess that's the price difference BTW) and draw 1-1.3 KW. How much does yours draw?

I'll have to figure out the power cost, but we have pretty cheap electricity here so I might be OK.

I meant antminer, not bitminer. I had some of those too and they worked out pretty well.

You're probably better off buying bitcoin, rather than spending money mining it. You can use this calculator to kind of figure out what your ROI would be
Alloscomp : Bitcoin Mining Calculator

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Buying it is no fun though. So I see there are options to run those ASICs on 120V instead of 240V. I like that because it won't require me to rewire my house, and I'll have more flexibility in moving them if I don't like the first location I pick. It looks like I'd need 2 power supplies though, and I assume they'd need to be on different circuits (I'll do the math on that later). Are there any real drawbacks to using 120V power supplies? What do you use?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I had a couple of 1300 watt power supplies to each Avalon 6. If your planning on putting the miners in your house, make sure you have good ventilation. They will throw off heat like no one's business. Raised the temp of my server room by a good 10 degrees.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I mined Monero for a while but some huge botnet started farming it a few months ago, making it more or less useless to do so as a home user.
I now use Nicehash which basically lets you sell your mining time to them, they use it to mine whatever they want and you get paid in BTC. Probably not the most profitable but it's very convenient, just need to run their client and transfer your earned BTC to your own wallet occasionally.

Monero is good now after the latest release. I think it up ended up being an ASIC had been developed for it. Change in software and the hardware is now bricked so you can be competetive again. Am netting around $200 (1 XMR) a month with 2 gaming rigs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Monero is good now after the latest release. I think it up ended up being an ASIC had been developed for it. Change in software and the hardware is now bricked so you can be competetive again. Am netting around $200 (1 XMR) a month with 2 gaming rigs.

What cards you mining Monero with that you're making $3.33/day (2 cards * 30 days) mining XMR?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was about to say the same thing is happening to etherum (they're coming out with an asic for it) but etherum isn't going to change their algorithm the way monero did. Instead they're going to continue with the plans to move away from the proof of work model.

I have no idea what the difference is between proof of work and whatever they're switching to. I'm still in the middle of my research phase. I'm probably going to wind up mining monero or something like it.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
IMG_20181129_134555.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Still say everyone should be getting in on Vechain....their partnerships, approach, and functionality specifically multi-clause functionality, ability to delegate who pays for transaction enabling zero cost to the user (think corporation absorbs the cost of validation as a sales cost enabling consumer to freely use the functionality, and highly positioned/powerful investors (Jim Breyer?!) have them positioned to become an absolute titan in the world of Blockchain.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Blockchain is the buzziest of the buzzy words and is slated for a quick and imminent death.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Crypto isn't going anywhere. I expect we'll see a decline over the holidays, which has been typical, then a bump up in jan/feb.

Last time crypto/bitcoin spiked, it went to 1k then dropped back to 100-200 and stayed there a couple years until last years spike to 19k.

Crypto is still growing roots, markets will rise and fall, but over long term it's most likely to rise. It will also depend which coins "make it" .

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Crypto isn't going anywhere. I expect we'll see a decline over the holidays, which has been typical, then a bump up in jan/feb.

Last time crypto/bitcoin spiked, it went to 1k then dropped back to 100-200 and stayed there a couple years until last years spike to 19k.

Crypto is still growing roots, markets will rise and fall, but over long term it's most likely to rise. It will also depend which coins "make it" .

change1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user