Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't JPMorgan or one of those other criminal banks "test" the BTC market a year or two ago and see how much it took to materially move the market?

I think they did and I think it took them a very insignificant amount of cash to do so. (at least then)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ethereum creeping to 3000 and MATIC is still hovering near 1.70. Gotta admit I’m a tinge curious myself about selling. I think if ETH breaks to 2900 and if by that time MATIC is *still* in the 1.60s I’ll probably sell on the precipice of god knows what.

Moved all my Ethereum to Polygon for the moment (I consider it a loan and will move that money back to it later, hopefully at a lower rate). Did this at $3400/$2.41 respectively this afternoon. Eth has gone down while MATIC has been hovering around there since. No steep drops at least. We'll see how it goes over the next couple weeks.

For reference, before this, my first big MATIC buy was .97 and the second was 1.45 IIRC. So I'm way up. Adding my Eth to it at $2.41 might pay off, or it might not. I could move the Eth money back if I sense the current Eth crash is ending soon, or if it hits $2900. It's too bad I got Eth at 4k but I take the good with the bad. I could potentially undo that mistake by moving the money back to Eth at a lower point after it gains some ground in Polygon.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Moved all my Ethereum to Polygon for the moment (I consider it a loan and will move that money back to it later, hopefully at a lower rate). Did this at $3400/$2.41 respectively this afternoon. Eth has gone down while MATIC has been hovering around there since. No steep drops at least. We'll see how it goes over the next couple weeks.

For reference, before this, my first big MATIC buy was .97 and the second was 1.45 IIRC. So I'm way up. Adding my Eth to it at $2.41 might pay off, or it might not. I could move the Eth money back if I sense the current Eth crash is ending soon, or if it hits $2900. It's too bad I got Eth at 4k but I take the good with the bad. I could potentially undo that mistake by moving the money back to Eth at a lower point after it gains some ground in Polygon.

Do you think you're too casual with your losses?

I got into BTC at $60k and when I was looking at the SMA's I knew it wasn't a good time to get in, but I had FOMO.

FOMO trading is something I now detest bc it made me lose money and was 100% avoidable. But, you seem to live and die off FOMO. Do you see it? If you do why aren't you trying to change the way you trade?

It's a kind-hearted joke that you signal losses to the forum, but you're also incredibly casual about losing money. Too casual, imo. Not that losing is wrong, but rather having a losing strategy is wrong.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>

My play...I got a $30,000 loan of USDT from $2.38 MATIC...converted it to MATIC...now I'm going to wait for MATIC to get up to 4, if not 5 (depending on how strong it looks) and repay the loan.

If MATIC goes up to 5, I'll net around 6000 coins.

• 1Tendies
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Moved all my Ethereum to Polygon

tenor.gif

• 2Worf
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
guys making me FOMO on this matic shit. what is driving this bump? jackies infinate money loop scam go public?

My operating theory is first mover advantage for an Ethereum scaling solution. It's really the only L2 solution up and running right now, I suspect it will remain strong through this summer but zkSync and Optimism are both technically superior solutions that may end up stealing the show.

• 1Like

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
guys making me FOMO on this matic shit. what is driving this bump? jackies infinate money loop scam go public?
I would say DeFi + high ETH gas fees. This bull run has been fascinating to watch. Last bull run was all hype and no apps were really developed on any of these platforms. Now that ETH has DeFi and other things being built on it, I have become super bullish and I am starting to see the true power of the blockchain. I am actually using my crypto for something, making me more money/crypto by lending and borrowing.

The problem when I first read about DeFi was I didn't even want to try it because of the gas fees. Then Binance Smart Chain launched but that's not really decentralized and I pretty much shrugged it off and has a bunch of dumb coins. Matic, however, has pulled me in. I've been messing with it the last few weeks and it's been a blast! If Coinbase, Binance, or Gemini offer withdraws onto the Matic networks I would think we'd get another bump, but who knows. The caveat of Matic is what happens when ETH2 launches? Is it still necessary? I am still trying to figure that one out.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My operating theory is first mover advantage for an Ethereum scaling solution. It's really the only L2 solution up and running right now, I suspect it will remain strong through this summer but zkSync and Optimism are both technically superior solutions that may end up stealing the show.
What's the expected value come end of summer? Should I double down on my investment or just let my initital $500 investment at $0.38 ride?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The caveat of Matic is what happens when ETH2 launches? Is it still necessary? I am still trying to figure that one out.

It's really when sharding comes to Ethereum, which was supposed to be before the PoS merge, but is now happening after due to viable L2 solutions being developed. Sidechains like Polygon will, imo, be totally subverted by an Ethereum sharding regime that offers the L1 security, composability, and interoperability of the Ethereum blockchain. There may be specific applications that operate on Polygon that are worthwhile, but I wouldn't bet long term on any solution that sees development happening somewhere other than Ethereum -- which is why EVM compatible rollups are so exciting.

What's the expected value come end of summer? Should I double down on my investment or just let my initital $500 investment at $0.38 ride?

Who knows? You want a safe bet, buy Ethereum.

• 3Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The caveat of Matic is what happens when ETH2 launches? Is it still necessary? I am still trying to figure that one out.

Let us know when you do, please. I personally haven't seen a reason to stray from ETH- not even to chase Matic- but I could be wrong.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Wish I would of read Rajaah Rajaah post before I just bought 100 matic at 2.5 haha Oh well, minor case of FOMO here since I was going to buy it when it was under $1 and didn't. Then it started to climb and I kept waiting for the dip and it never happened. Still new to all the crypto purchasing/selling. Rajaah makes me feel good about my losses Even though they are minor in scale compared to some of the stories I've read. I get all bent out of shape over a $20 loss. Don't feel bad man, I feel like I have the same curse in investing/gambling. I'm really tempted to take money out of savings to buy 1 ETH but it goes against my saving rules.

I remember back when it was Bitcoin and eth were dirt cheap and my buddy tried to get me to buy Bitcoin. I told him that sounded like a scam and I didn't trust the system. Lost out on a bunch of potential gains there...

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking about it this way...

Ethereum 2.0 fully coming into play is like what, a couple of years off? Even more than that? Less? Polygon / L2 in general is going to become ensconced in the world of crypto before Ethereum itself solves what L2 does. By the time Ethereum is as cheap to use as Polygon...where is Polygon going to be technologically then? Maybe it does (whatever more than it does now.) And how fast are people going to just dump it and move to Ethereum? It seems like a matter of who wins the race first.

From what I've read, and maybe this is just from people who are pumping it, but it's frequently stated that Vitalik and Ethereum devs have said that L2 is needed into the future to keep Ethereum scaling - - not sure how totally true that is, but I see it a lot.

Long story short - - obviously we want Ethereum to win this thing over all - - but Polygon I think is going to take some major market share in the next couple of years, and thus will do more with my money than just investing in Ethereum would.

I will say it's tempting to convert the MATIC I have to almost THIRTY NINE! Ethereum right now...which is insane since I had started with 17 Ethereum back in April. The hope is by the end of this year I could be looking at converting my MATIC to even more Ethereum if I wanted to.

Last edited:

Caliane

haha. I said fuck it, and went ahead and did clean up all those free shitcoins. some went into Eth, others polygon/Matic. $83 worth into matic.
Doing so, made me notice I had ADA on coinbase pro unstaked..

I decided I want to stake my eth now, instead of waiting for rocketpool. but its all on coinbase. And I dont have staking access on that yet. dont want to pay the fees to move it to kraken..

edit: checking. looks like about $7.30 worth of fee.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Do you think you're too casual with your losses?

I got into BTC at $60k and when I was looking at the SMA's I knew it wasn't a good time to get in, but I had FOMO.

FOMO trading is something I now detest bc it made me lose money and was 100% avoidable. But, you seem to live and die off FOMO. Do you see it? If you do why aren't you trying to change the way you trade?

It's a kind-hearted joke that you signal losses to the forum, but you're also incredibly casual about losing money. Too casual, imo. Not that losing is wrong, but rather having a losing strategy is wrong.

I'm casual with my losses because it's better than getting depressed. I definitely care about them and when they add up it bothers me. I got into this with the goal of making $1 in any given week (aka being in the green) and so far I've always pulled that off. In other words, I always make up the losses one way or another. That said, I'd have a lot more without those losses, and stuff like the recent Doge/COIN/Eth transactions adds up and bothers the shit out of me if I let it.

Also helps that for a while I largely worked with smaller numbers (aka investments topped out at $1k) so losses aren't crushing. I started even smaller than that ($300 usually). It's only the past month where I've been putting any major funds into this stuff, with VET, Eth, now MATIC. If it goes off a cliff it'll definitely hurt since I'm doing more than dipping my toes in now. However I'm trying to maintain that same level head I had when I was just using smaller amounts. (Well, mostly, a couple times I flipped out at what I saw as bad luck).

FOMO trading is also something I hate because it rarely goes well. I have a knack for jumping into things right before their decline and bag-holding (GME, Doge x2). I'd rather look at "big picture" holdings. I had a big win on Bitcoin early on but I haven't had any BTC since then because I don't have confidence in it long-term. I try to avoid FOMO but sometimes you've got things with great potential that come along and seem like a good idea.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Question...

How big of an advantage is it to stake your own 32+ Ethereum vs. the pools where people have lower numbers? Is it substantially more interest? Just advantageous because you aren't committing your coins to someone else?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm thinking about it this way...

The PoS merge is happening later this year, and I'm not quite sure what the progress is on sharding specifically right now. Polygon becoming ensconced in the Ethereum ecosystem is really pretty meaningless at this stage of adoption, as we have no idea what retail investors will consider valuable when they do finally buy into Ethereum. No doubt that if there was some killer app developed on Polygon that it would see increased usage in retail adoption, but right now that killer app does not exist anywhere, let alone Polygon. Even IMO relatively safe things like the Aave protocol I have no idea if it will survive through retail adoption.

Question...

How big of an advantage is it to stake your own 32+ Ethereum vs. the pools where people have lower numbers? Is it substantially more interest? Just advantageous because you aren't committing your coins to someone else?

There are technical considerations to staking your own Eth as well, but if you can afford to lock up hundreds of thousands of dollars indefinitely while being punished for going offline then yes, it's worth several points on your Eth over Rocketpool/Coinbase/etc.

• 3Like

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
Conversation with a friend about recent MATIC stuff.

"Ethermine the bigger etherium pools will go though matic polygone to pay small miner. so about half their payment made per month will go through it."

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

Question...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users