Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Now don't get me wrong, I think we're in a bubble/mania of epic proportions with a lot of this crypto stuff, and ascribing long term value to ANY 24px piece of 'art' regardless of provenance is foolish. But then again I'm not setting the market either, so eh? If you can find the angles and ride the waves without getting dashed on the rocks, more power to you.

Selling an NFT is like trying to sell the provenance, not the art itself. This is what has been going on with NFTs, this is what people are arguing. The original tweet about creating an NFT of a diamond and then proclaiming the NFT is now worth what the diamond is and it doesn't even matter if the diamond is destroyed is what has been argued for probably 50 pages at this point.

NFTs are not actually worth anything, just because people have been paying for them doesn't change that fact. These people have been duped, just like minimum wage workers in 2006 buying a 400k home that was only worth 150k 3 years prior were duped into thinking these were real valuations of real assets that could only go up.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The original tweet about creating an NFT of a diamond and then proclaiming the NFT

Newp, it started with Visa buying a Cryptopunk and me explaining that NFTs are a non-fungible store of value like land.

Now don't get me wrong, I think we're in a bubble/mania of epic proportions with a lot of this crypto stuff, and ascribing long term value to ANY 24px piece of 'art' regardless of provenance is foolish.

Everyone right now is wondering A) will there be another 75-90% drop that spans years? B) will Cryptopunks also follow that trend? Most everyone seems to think yes on B if A is true, but NFTs are super illiquid so there's some debate. Some are arguing that the NFT market is the best hedge against crypto winters.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Everyone right now is wondering A) will there be another 75-90% drop that spans years? B) will Cryptopunks also follow that trend? Most everyone seems to think yes on B if A is true, but NFTs are super illiquid so there's some debate. Some are arguing that the NFT market is the best hedge against crypto winters.
See? Now that's an interesting take. That's like investing in gold when you thinks stocks are going to drop and vice versa. Not sure I agree, but crazier things have happened than this scenario.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Collectables were always a shit investment. The only collectables that are worth anything are the ones made from before anybody had any notion to save and preserve them. That's why they are rare, and that rarity is why they are valuable.

When I was buying comic books in the 90s, they all had 'COLLECTOR'S EDITION' and crap written on the covers. They printed millions of them and everybody was storing them carefully and not reading them for risk of lowering their value. My mom bought 'death of superman' books and she certainly didn't read them. Those are now worth like $30? Maybe? The worst time to invest in collectables (which are shitty investments to begin with) is during the mania. The only reason my collection may be worth a few grand is because wokeism killed the industry.

I still have my Griffey rookie cards too. The only ones worth anything are cased mint quality cards which have been appraised. Upper Deck ungraded cards look to be going for sub $100 on ebay right now. Topps cards are like 5 bucks. If you had successfully gambled that Griffey's career would have ended up as good as it did and bought 1,000 cards 30 years ago, you'd now have the problem of having them all appraised and flooding the market with them when you wanted to cash out.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Heres some NFT Jordan’s you can own:

And the project:

0A92A329-A7BE-416A-AD6F-DEC8C2B01BB8.jpeg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Collectables were always a shit investment. The only collectables that are worth anything are the ones made from before anybody had any notion to save and preserve them. That's why they are rare, and that rarity is why they are valuable.

Definitely true. The oldest and most valuable baseball cards came with a pack of gum. Meaning, it was the gum you were interested in buying and the baseball card was just this little bonus no one cared much about.

There are really two arguments going on in this thread and people are conflating them. One argument involves the value of art/collectibles and the other involves the nature and utility of NFTs.

• 1Truth!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I think NFT’s have genuine applications. I just don’t think collectibles are it. The collectibles don’t align w my interests at all.

• 1Solidarity

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
James James take a look at that vEMP token. I read a bit of their white paper but a lot of it went over my head... something about fucking over decentraland? Seems interesting but also maybe overambitious, like a Pomeranian chasing a truck.

So this looks a lot like what Deadbears are doing, converting their treasury from ETH to an alt coin ($FLOKI or $VEMP) and distributing that to people who stake their NFTs. I have a lot of faith in $FLOKI and Deadbears in general, they're almost finished minting!

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Jesus fucking Christ. How do you even read something like that with a straight face.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's very easy when thousands of dollars are flowing into your wallet.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As VR avatars, they are near worthless unless somehow people gatekeep which NFTs are able to be used.

Nobody can use your nft bunny, but someone can create a nearly identical one, or billions of variations of your bunny.

There will be some value in having the original. But when there are infinite copies, and infinite variations... Well, what's the value of things there are near infinite supply of?

Make hay while you can tho.
The way I see it I can infinitely copy the Mona Lisa if I wanted as well.

It's all about how people perceive the value of something, even if digital.

I dunno. Just go with it