Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You don't scale L1 to do what ETH is doing and stay decentralized. Thats the whole point. They screwed up by shoving all of that data in L1 instead of waiting for L2 to develop to a place where they could do the calculations off chain. Even Vitalik is admitting that now. ETH is a bungled project and they're scrambling to try to bail it out. Maybe PoS will breath some life into it and prolong the abomination.

Vitalik created ETH because he was impation with BTC dev pacing. He wanted to move fast and break this, BTC devs wanted to keep the codebase rock solid and move slowly. In the long run I'd rather be using the platform that took its time testing before moving code into production. Fortunately we all get to invest into what we're comfortable with. IMO Ethereum will not fare well in the long run, and if it does, it will do so as a effectively centralized entity.

Do you know about the difficulty they built into ETH?

Just for fun, here is a 4 year old thread, updated every time ETH 2.0 gets delayed.

And the latest update in this thread:

Right, that's what I said.

You read a Twitter thread, and it scared you.

You might be right, but I haven't seen any of the hallmarks that indicate you actually know. But rather your are conveying the opinion of another.

Which is what I am doing as well to a large degree.

But linking random Twitter threads, or a BTC evangelist isn't really convincing in any way other than emotionally

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Right, that's what I said.

You read a Twitter thread, and it scared you.

You might be right, but I haven't seen any of the hallmarks that indicate you actually know. But rather your are conveying the opinion of another.

Which is what I am doing as well to a large degree.

But linking random Twitter threads, or a BTC evangelist isn't really convincing in any way other than emotionally
First time reading a Flobee btc post?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Feel free to look into it yourself. I'm not going to go get all primary sources for you. I'm not going to try to "emotionally convince" any of you. I present the facts as I understand them and breadcrumbs you can follow to make your own decision.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Feel free to look into it yourself. I'm not going to go get all primary sources for you.

I didnt ask you to.

Like I said, you dont convey the hallmarks of someone that actually KNOWS, but rather is just conveying what others have said.

And thats fine, but its just 3rd, fourth? hand fear pimping.

I read a lot about this stuff years ago, before I started investing in it. But when all the ETH negative takes come from BTC evangelists / maximalists, then its hard to take it as unbiased.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I read a lot about this stuff years ago, before I started investing in it. But when all the ETH negative takes come from BTC evangelists / maximalists, then its hard to take it as unbiased.
If you start a business, and somebody moves in across the street to start a competing business but they're selling a scammy product that they've attached to your brand... wouldn't you try let people know? BTC people are some of the only people in the world that understand this enough to warn you. Listen to who you want of course, but dismissing their viewpoint out of hand is foolish imo.

This has moved quite a ways from the original point. PoS gives control of block validation to those that hold the most ETH. PoW exists for a reason and removing it will not improve the system. If you don't understand why then you don't understand what Bitcoin is.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
If you start a business, and somebody moves in across the street to start a competing business but they're selling a scammy product that they've attached to your brand... wouldn't you try let people know? BTC people are some of the only people in the world that understand this enough to warn you. Listen to who you want of course, but dismissing their viewpoint out of hand is foolish imo

Dude, fuck off with this "BTC people are all altruistic and thats all there is to it!"

Thats just . . . naive.

If there was a better BTC, that they had none of, and was completely mined, we all know damn well they wouldnt be shilling for everyone to dump BTC.

Something show me the incentive, something something result.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Dude, fuck off with this "BTC people are all altruistic and thats all there is to it!"

Thats just . . . naive.
You're attributing that to me. That isn't what I'm saying at all. If you really care to we can get of Discord some time and talk about it. I can explain it if you care to listen.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
4qg5o693jnp61.png

Still some MATIC supply being released until the end of next year. I like MATIC a lot but I'm not sure I love it at this price. Eventually I see it going far past it once the supply is fully released so whatever I guess?
Other than buy some shit a few years ago and not paying any attention to it I know nothing about Crypto, so this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask.

When you say there is still some to be released next year, does that basically mean whatever I own now will be diluted.

EDIT: My example math was fucked so I deleted it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You're attributing that to me. That isn't what I'm saying at all. If you really care to we can get of Discord some time and talk about it. I can explain it if you care to listen.

I'm all for learning as much as I can, but to be frank, there is a point where I either have to commit 1000hrs, or accept I'm just going to have to guess.

I've kind of accepted I'm going to have to guess on crypto.

My guess is BTC + ETH.

I just dont think I'm at a point where a few hours is going to tell me much, I'll need a lot of hours and people that really understand the math / coding behind it, and for me to even know wtf people are saying on that is prolly several hundred more hours.

• 1Solidarity

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Other than buy some shit a few years ago and not paying any attention to it I know nothing about Crypto, so this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask.

When you say there is still some to be released next year, does that basically mean whatever I own now will be diluted.

EDIT: My example math was fucked so I deleted it.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I think the short answer (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), is that if the value of Matic was to stay precisely static relative to the coin's circulating supply between now and August 2022 then adding more coins would reduce the value of the coins you currently have.

But there's pretty much a zero percent chance of that. Crypto is way too volatile and the price is fluctuating all the time. If they were planning on doubling the supply of Matic in the next 6 months it might give me pause, but if I'm reading that chart right, they only have about 10% left to introduce.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm all for learning as much as I can, but to be frank, there is a point where I either have to commit 1000hrs, or accept I'm just going to have to guess.

I've kind of accepted I'm going to have to guess on crypto.

My guess is BTC + ETH.

I just dont think I'm at a point where a few hours is going to tell me much, I'll need a lot of hours and people that really understand the math / coding behind it, and for me to even know wtf people are saying on that is prolly several hundred more hours.

The only people that give a shit about the "BTC vs. ETH" arguments are the maxis on either side. Most people have accepted that they will continue to coexist (like they do now) and have moved on.

• 1Truth!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I wish I owned more BTC and I think ETH won’t be able to scale, but I’ma HODL and take my tendies.

I like BTC mostly bc of Breedlove and other maximalists philosophical perspective. He was raised Southern Baptist and so our worldviews align where I can easily grasp his perspective. I’m also willing to wait for the realization of level 2 payment gateways that make the BTC payment process less painful. Mostly bc at its core Bitcoin represents sound money. The world needs sound money.

I like the idea of ETH, but their position on painless transactions is the core of their chain, and my experience with it sucks. I’ve lost more money trying to utilize the ETH blockchain than any other and it hasn’t gotten any better.

The initial phase of PoS only made high gas more consistent and they’ve yet to innovate. They could solve these problems, but the clock is ticking.

I’ll take my tendies and ironically I own more ETH than BTC, but I already own too much crypto and don’t want to invest more.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just speculation, but I'm kind of envisioning a future where web 3 is built on the ethereum platform, but scaled up several layers. In other words, everyday people don't use ethereum, they use a designated scaling solution like matic. Whales and big DAOs are the only ones who actually make moves on the bottom layer (ETH), because the gas fees to them are trivial.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just speculation, but I'm kind of envisioning a future where web 3 is built on the ethereum platform, but scaled up several layers. In other words, everyday people don't use ethereum, they use a designated scaling solution like matic. Whales and big DAOs are the only ones who actually make moves on the bottom layer (ETH), because the gas fees to them are trivial.
There is absolutely no evidence that 'web 3' actually does anything or solves any problem worth solving.

If there ever is a web3, it will likely be fucking awful, with micropaywalls everywhere, identity-tracking, social credit system, etc; a fintech jew banker's idea of what the internet should have been, rather than the technotopia envisioned by the original people who made the web free.

• 3Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is absolutely no evidence that 'web 3' actually does anything or solves any problem worth solving.

If there ever is a web3, it will likely be fucking awful, with micropaywalls everywhere, identity-tracking, social credit system, etc; a fintech jew banker's idea of what the internet should have been, rather than the technotopia envisioned by the original people who made the web free.

Sadly, im inclined to agree on this one. Awesome technology and the first use of it will be annoying as shit

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor

Pop-up ads, email spam, and phishing scams were some of the first "features" that came with the internet opening up to the masses. Twenty years later the whole god damned thing is a giant censored propaganda hole for corporations and governments. Quite the opposite of what most of us envisioned it would end up being.

I expect the exact same thing to happen with crypto as it gets more mainstream attention. It's going to be scams on top of scams.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Pop-up ads, email spam, and phishing scams were some of the first "features" that came with the internet opening up to the masses. Twenty years later the whole god damned thing is a giant censored propaganda hole for corporations and governments. Quite the opposite of what most of us envisioned it would end up being.

I expect the exact same thing to happen with crypto as it gets more mainstream attention. It's going to be scams on top of scams.

its already happened, there is like 30 new coins everyday, 90% of which are rugpulls or wont survive past the first month due to inexperienced devs.