Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I believe there is a very good chance that Web3 explodes and DAOs replace LLCs, coins replace (or coexist with) stocks, and teams like Polygon become the next Microsoft, Facebook, and Google.
Gordon Ramsay Internet GIF

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, if you're asking for my "sources" as to why I feel that way, I could definitely point you to a variety of articles, interviews, and general information that, all combined, lead me to this belief. But, honestly, it'd be a waste of time because I doubt you'd read/watch them. Not saying that as a knock to you in particular Izo Izo , but I think really parsing the "cryptosphere" and it's future potential takes a deep dive, and deep dives take time and effort. If you aren't motivated to go digging on your own, somebody curating the info for you probably won't make a difference.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, if you're asking for my "sources" as to why I feel that way, I could definitely point you to a variety of articles, interviews, and general information that, all combined, lead me to this belief. But, honestly, it'd be a waste of time because I doubt you'd read/watch them. Not saying that as a knock to you in particular Izo Izo , but I think really parsing the "cryptosphere" and it's future potential takes a deep dive, and deep dives take time and effort. If you aren't motivated to go digging on your own, somebody curating the info for you probably won't make a difference.
read ray romano GIF by TV Land
Read Beauty And The Beast GIF

But really, you could sum up why you think it is so, instead of just doing a dear diary. Summarize the points, dude. You've read and, apparently, youtube'd a lot of info. Share the wealth.

• 1Truth!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
read ray romano GIF by TV Land
Read Beauty And The Beast GIF

But really, you could sum up why you think it is so, instead of just doing a dear diary. Summarize the points, dude. You've read and, apparently, youtube'd a lot of info. Share the wealth.

People way, way smarter than I have a hard time breaking down the technical potential of Web3 into a concise summary, so I sure as fuck won't be able to do it. But I'll try and summarize my impressions at least, even though it will probably leave you with more questions than answers:

-Blockchain tech automates lots of processes that eliminate the need for middlemen. Importantly, it does so in a way that is extremely trustworthy and reliable, thanks (in part) to the immutability and distributed nature of the blockchain. Middlemen like governments, banks, and other organizations slow things down, drain resources, and put up roadblocks. Blockchain tech allows you to bypass many of these roadblocks.

-For example, if you want to set up a traditional company, you need to go through a painstaking process involving lawyers, governments, banks, courts, and various other regulatory bodies. With DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations), blockchain tech automates and/or eliminates the need for most of those things. You can set up a DAO that serves the same function as a traditional company, but you can do it with a DAO much quicker, cheaper, and easier. DAOs are also trustless (again thanks to blockchain tech) and they are more transparent than traditional companies because everything is written immutably on the blockchain for everyone to see.

-As people really start to embrace using blockchain tech, crypto will skyrocket in use and value. Crypto "coins" are 100% necessary to using blockchain tech. I.e. you can't separate the crypto from the blockchain. Yes, coins can be used as a currency because they hold value, but they serve lots of other purposes. Primarily, they are the means by which users of blockchain systems interact with those systems. Examples? You can use an organizations' crypto coins to invest in the organization, to vote for changes in the organization, to establish authority within the organization, etc.

-Let's take stocks as an example. Like setting up a trad company, the process of going public is a huge pain in the ass, filled with all kinds of regulatory hurdles. Prior to crypto, buying stock in a company was the primary way for the public to invest in a company. You can invest in DAOs and other organizations that utilize crypto coins simply by buying their coin. This provides them with capital and provides you with a stake in their organization. Why the hell is any company in the future going to bother with trad stocks and IPOs when they can simply design their own coin and sell it to investors.

-Binance (which considers itself a DAO- in function if not in name) is a great example of this. Binance has hardly any external shareholders- investment in Binance is done through its proprietary coin, BNB. And it's a great deal for people who invest in the right organizations. People who invested early in BNB have gotten huge returns for their investment. This article is worth reading: Can Crypto’s Richest Man Stand the Cold?

Anyway, there's a lot more to it, but I don't want to spend my whole Saturday trying to summarize my deep dive into crypto and Web3. I'd recommend these interviews as definitely worth a listen if you are interested in this stuff:

Edit: if you listen to the freakonomics podcast do yourself a favor and skip to minute 6

Last edited:
  • 2Moron
  • 1Slow
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
People way, way smarter than I have a hard time breaking down the technical potential of Web3 into a concise summary, so I sure as fuck won't be able to do it. But I'll try and summarize my impressions at least, even though it will probably leave you with more questions than answers:

-Blockchain tech automates lots of processes that eliminate the need for middlemen. Importantly, it does so in a way that is extremely trustworthy and reliable, thanks (in part) to the immutability and distributed nature of the blockchain. Middlemen like governments, banks, and other organizations slow things down, drain resources, and put up roadblocks. Blockchain tech allows you to bypass many of these roadblocks.

-For example, if you want to set up a traditional company, you need to go through a painstaking process involving lawyers, governments, banks, courts, and various other regulatory bodies. With DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations), blockchain tech automates and/or eliminates the need for most of those things. You can set up a DAO that serves the same function as a traditional company, but you can do it with a DAO much quicker, cheaper, and easier. DAOs are also trustless (again thanks to blockchain tech) and they are more transparent than traditional companies because everything is written immutably on the blockchain for everyone to see.

-As people really start to embrace using blockchain tech, crypto will skyrocket in use and value. Crypto "coins" are 100% necessary to using blockchain tech. I.e. you can't separate the crypto from the blockchain. Yes, coins can be used as a currency because they hold value, but they serve lots of other purposes. Primarily, they are the means by which users of blockchain systems interact with those systems. Examples? You can use an organizations' crypto coins to invest in the organization, to vote for changes in the organization, to establish authority within the organization, etc.

-Let's take stocks as an example. Like setting up a trad company, the process of going public is a huge pain in the ass, filled with all kinds of regulatory hurdles. Prior to crypto, buying stock in a company was the primary way for the public to invest in a company. You can invest in DAOs and other organizations that utilize crypto coins simply by buying their coin. This provides them with capital and provides you with a stake in their organization. Why the hell is any company in the future going to bother with trad stocks and IPOs when they can simply design their own coin and sell it to investors.

-Binance (which considers itself a DAO- in function if not in name) is a great example of this. Binance has hardly any external shareholders- investment in Binance is done through its proprietary coin, BNB. And it's a great deal for people who invest in the right organizations. People who invested early in BNB have gotten huge returns for their investment. This article is worth reading: Can Crypto’s Richest Man Stand the Cold?

Anyway, there's a lot more to it, but I don't want to spend my whole Saturday trying to summarize my deep dive into crypto and Web3. I'd recommend these interviews as definitely worth a listen if you are interested in this stuff:

Edit: if you listen to the freakonomics podcast do yourself a favor and skip to minute 6
Please explain how blockchain eliminates the need for corporate lawyers and/or legal compliance. The laws are still there regardless of what the tech does or doesn't do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
DAOs probably are a better way of getting initial public investment than the way we're doing it now.

Blockchains are a great mechanism for banks to transfer money to each other, from retail banks all the way up to central banks. It is a great way to keep the system honest and make transfers clear faster. They may one day replace the current clearinghouse model of stock transactions as well.

Bitcoin will probably remain a store of value with significant value appreciation.

But the idea that it'll take over everything and underpin every transaction, page request, etc you make online and offline is absolutely ridiculous. There's a reason we don't bring gold bricks to the supermarket.

• 3Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It also amazes me how the techno-libertarian people are pro-Web3, which it is very clearly the most Orwellian system ever developed. You'd basically have an online identity where the history of everything you ever did anywhere on the net was tracked on a handful of blockchains aka public ledgers. Combine that with the fact that it would allow the paywalling of every bit of information on the internet and you've got the death of free speech, liberty and privacy all rolled together.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well then, I guess that settles it.

I'm not going to explain it because I don't think blockchains eliminate the need for corporate lawyers and/or legal compliance. There will always be lawyers as long as there are laws. I also don't think blockchain tech will eliminate middle men entirely, but it will reduce them and change what they look like.

Moving from horses to cars didn't eliminate the need for roads, but it changed their design and made traveling much more efficient. That's the way progress works; it's incremental and it never looks exactly like people predict. Web3 will be the same.

Anyway, I'm not here to sell anything or defend Web3. One, I'm not qualified and two I probably have as many questions as everyone else. Izo asked me why I believed DAOs and crypto were going to be a huge part of the future and I summarized the potential benefits. There's a zero percent chance that all of the "ideals" behind Web3 happen, but I think a lot of them will.

• 3Moron

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure where you live. In Texas you need 15 minutes 350 bucks and a computer. That's it to start a business.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure where you live. In Texas you need 15 minutes 350 bucks and a computer. That's it to start a business.

I'm guessing the proponents of Web3 had something more complicated in mind than the type of LLC you can set up from your home computer in 15 minutes.

• 2Moron
  • 1Picard
  • 1Slow

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't remember where the NFT thread is so I'll just post this dumb shit here. This guy...

1656694069692.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Committed
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I don't remember where the NFT thread is so I'll just post this dumb shit here. This guy...

View attachment 419893

What in the hell? LOL.

"Receipts. Everyone uses receipts. Remember that KitKat you bought at the grocery store? You got a receipt for that. Soon that receipt will be an NFT. Today all of our receipts get thrown away, but in a decade they will become collectibles..."

WHAT AN IDIOT.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
What in the hell? LOL.

"Receipts. Everyone uses receipts. Remember that KitKat you bought at the grocery store? You got a receipt for that. Soon that receipt will be an NFT. Today all of our receipts get thrown away, but in a decade they will become collectibles..."

WHAT AN IDIOT.
Dude, I'll trade you for a 2015 Tmac Tmac 1am Walgreens condom receipt for a 2018 Mist Mist 1am Walgreen's catfood receipt.

Are you kidding? My Tmac is far more rare and valuable than your Mist. Hell, they're still being printed!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users