Black Desert

Malkav

French Madman
Tried it out recently, and I think I'd really love it if the combat was just a bit less actionny/spammy and less "gather as many mobs as possible and AOE the shit down".

I'm getting too old for this kind of shit. I mean, I like action combat, but slower and maybe more tactical.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just started using pets tonight because I no longer have time to move or loot before the next wave spawns. Need to get to 21 asap for EES then I can just farm the fuck out of it all. Trying to just do all the black spirit quests, but I keep running across farmers having problems with bees. Fucking farmers.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the overall consensus on BDO here?
Game's not bad, most people have a nice discovery experience because the game is gorgeous (graphics and art), some mechanics are cool and kind of refreshing regarding latest MMO releases. There's also a lot of content to do (whether you like it or not) since the game has been released in 2014 in korea and had updates since then. Combat gameplay works with classes, combos and potions. There's no real trinity though and teamplay / combat interactions are limited compared to other MMOs.

The PvP mechanics are bad, the penalties prevent most of it unless you're at war with other guilds and PvP suffers from the gear > level > buffs > skill formula, depending of which class you play you're gonna one shot and / or get one shot a lot (castle sieges and ressource control is ingame tho, just not available yet). Low end PvE is what Malkav said, it's "gather all the mobs and AoE them", quests are very bland, lore is generic asian MMO crap and quite forgetable. "High" level PvE is bosses you summon with items farmed from daily quests, and there's world bosses as well.

If you have a MMO itch you can buy the game, it's $30 there's no sub and the cash shop isn't really P2W (careful though, some people seem to suffer from pet addiction, they purchase them like it's heroin). There's a lot of stuff to do and whilst some of it is mediocre, you might find your joy in other aspects of the game.

Libra_sl

shitlord
Game's not bad, most people have a nice discovery experience because the game is gorgeous (graphics and art), some mechanics are cool and kind of refreshing regarding latest MMO releases. There's also a lot of content to do (whether you like it or not) since the game has been released in 2014 in korea and had updates since then. Combat gameplay works with classes, combos and potions. There's no real trinity though and teamplay / combat interactions are limited compared to other MMOs.

The PvP mechanics are bad, the penalties prevent most of it unless you're at war with other guilds and PvP suffers from the gear > level > buffs > skill formula, depending of which class you play you're gonna one shot and / or get one shot a lot (castle sieges and ressource control is ingame tho, just not available yet). Low end PvE is what Malkav said, it's "gather all the mobs and AoE them", quests are very bland, lore is generic asian MMO crap and quite forgetable. "High" level PvE is bosses you summon with items farmed from daily quests, and there's world bosses as well.

If you have a MMO itch you can buy the game, it's $30 there's no sub and the cash shop isn't really P2W (careful though, some people seem to suffer from pet addiction, they purchase them like it's heroin). There's a lot of stuff to do and whilst some of it is mediocre, you might find your joy in other aspects of the game.
Thank you very much for the write up -- exactly what I was looking for and covered all the key bullet points I wanted to know about. Very much appreciated! I'll probably pick it up here for $30 and give it a shot -- since there's no subscription fee it's a lot more palatable to me. If there was a subscription there would be no chance I would get it I don't think -- it would take quite a game to get me back into paying a monthly sub.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I've been itching to play an MMO again, and a good, deep sandbox is right up my alley. What's the overall consensus on BDO here?
Since you say sandbox is right up your alley then no question it's worth the 30 bucks.

If you only gave a shit about bread crumb quest hub solo 10 bear ass quests til cap then doing dailies and the only meaningful system is PVE combat then there are other games I'd recommend over this one, namely blade and soul since it's combat is superior. But like most themepark mmos, PVE combat is 100% of that games content.

But since PVE combat is like 10% of this game and the amount of content puts nearly every other MMO to shame, if you are cool with the not-so-hand-holding of a Sandbox game then definitely worth the money.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It's like trying to juggle a dozen sacks of cats. You can go the tradeskill route. The questing route. The gathering route. The grinding route. You have stables. Workers. Pets. Gear. And just because it's a fucking asian mmo you have your own blackface Navi.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It's like trying to juggle a dozen sacks of cats. You can go the tradeskill route. The questing route. The gathering route. The grinding route. You have stables. Workers. Pets. Gear. And just because it's a fucking asian mmo you have your own blackface Navi.
You.... you left out fishing. Y U DO DIS? /hides

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I've been itching to play an MMO again, and a good, deep sandbox is right up my alley. What's the overall consensus on BDO here? From what I've seen casually reading around the nets, it seems people are pretty positive on this one. Anyone have a spare guest pass I could mooch from you so I could give this a shot before I shell out $30?
Just from a guy that stood from the outside looking in for a while and now have been playing it for 2-3 days, I will say the first impression is strong for the traditional MMO player. I felt as if some of the elements that I love were there but a lot of new stuff that I hadn't really experienced (i.e. the Terra-esque combat).

I love the exploration, the quest lines are familiar enough that you don't feel too lost as you progress early levels, and then you realize that's not really even the part of the game you want to invest too much time. When you realize you don't have to stay on the quest rails, fishing, conversations, trade skills, all open up your world. I think the traveling and taking part in the guild quests are a blast. I'm not high enough to PvP but when your guild declares war or whatever you get quests you can take part in. It's pretty fun. It feels crowded too which I like and everyone isn't hidden in instance a, b, and c.

I'm not sure where i'll be a month from now or do I know where BDO will be. It's evolving quickly and it seems they are working hard to add more content (or catch up to the original version).

I feel like I have already got my moneys worth in under a week of playing for $30. I have on scratched the surface but I really like the first impression I have receive thus far.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There is one cat. The grind. And you need to skin it. It is very large.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
There is one cat. The grind. And you need to skin it. It is very large.
Yea, seems to me that once you get past that initial impression there really only is the grind. You can totally do all the other things, but when it comes to a value for time comparison grinding is infinitely more valuable. Almost nothing you craft outside food and costumes has real value as far as I can tell and the crafting that IS worth doing for moneymaking is fairly hands-off once its set up. Don't get me wrong the game is super fun, but it isn't quite as deep as it first appears. If you don't enjoy the grind you're going to have trouble finding longterm enjoyment here I think.

Luckily grinding with this combat system can be fun as shit

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
I found myself barely grinding. It is incredibly easy to grind as a Ranger and is easily the most efficient way to level up, but you miss so much. I enjoy all the other parts to this game. I've barely scratched the surface of so many of the systems. Not sure what I'll do, but just questing and killing mobs along the way I've gotten to 50 in a couple weeks. Thats casual playing. I've got about 102 contribution points and 107 energy. Going to start noding up and then grinding mobs for loot next. I'm really amazed everytime I play this game with the amount of filler there is in the world. Nothing special, just the number of npcs wandering around, the busy streets in the cities, etc. I love the atmosphere and I love some of the mechanics that are actually a pain. Its odd, but I like having my stuff in one town and not having it available to me when I'm in another city.

kaxfenix

N00b
how does exploration benefit you in the game besides just seeing cool stuff..

I feel like my inner EQ player is dead asleep from the years of WoW like MMO game play

How does one wake this back up ? So is the recommended path that is most beneficial leveling to make then going back and doing other stuff..

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
how does exploration benefit you in the game besides just seeing cool stuff..

I feel like my inner EQ player is dead asleep from the years of WoW like MMO game play

How does one wake this back up ? So is the recommended path that is most beneficial leveling to make then going back and doing other stuff..
If you just want to level fast, just grind there is no reason to do anything else. Exploration helps you collect 'knowledge' which is mostly obtained from talking to npc's and this increases your total energy which is used for gathering/crafting. If you are looking to min/max grind to max then do repeatables to get contribution points and energy. Otherwise just run around and have fun there is a shit ton of content to consume if this games questing is up your alley.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Exploration gives you knowledge, knowledge gives you energy. Energy lets you do more life skills which gives you energy and knowledge. It also opens you up to more quests that can give you contribution points and more nodes. Damn near anything you do in the game has a very small effect on you.

It is not the game itself that is evoking hard core nostolgia of eq for me. It is the fact that this game fucks. It fucks with you when you die and shit breaks. It fucks with you when you are looting a ton of crap and run out of space or weight or energy for your pets. It fucks with you by dropping some really rare trade loot in a node you have not contributed to.

It has potential and feels like a world. People are doing things! Guildies are bitching about all of the above, or are lost as hell, or just plain need a helping hand. Then you realize 4 hours has passed your bladder is friggen full, your eyes hurt and you just need one more black stone.

And fail the enchant. Fuckers!

This game Fucks

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
what Flobee said, but also the world map is covered in Fog of War meaning you have to travel to uncover it. Also you have to travel and explore to discover nodes, which you can invest in to increase drop rates for the area you are killing in, along with other benefits like being able to sell trade goods, etc.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Just started using pets tonight because I no longer have time to move or loot before the next wave spawns. Need to get to 21 asap for EES then I can just farm the fuck out of it all. Trying to just do all the black spirit quests, but I keep running across farmers having problems with bees. Fucking farmers.
Wrong. In this game.

FUCKING BEES!