Black Desert

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Guildy. Plays on controller, says ranger has too many button combos to really be viable. He mains a wizard they are easy enough.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw the option, but never even thought about it. Hell, I might actually like playing my Warrior better with a controller... Going to have to try it, at least.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I started and made it to 13. The controls can be confusing with a gamepad but I think some button mapping will take care of that.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not to turn anyone away from playing this game for a bit, but this video basically expands on Tuco's previous comment of "there is only the grind".

Now TLP has his own reasons for quitting that expand beyond the foibles of the game, but he's not wrong in his assessment after some perspective from actually playing for a bit. Key points that I (and others) struggle with are the RNG for gear progression and the lack of level cap which translates into a never-ending grind for exp.

That said, it's absolutely worth playing if you like MMOs.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Honestly, I don't think anything beats out the shit you had to go through for Vex Thal entry. Sure, let's put a rare drop on a mob that spawns rarely. Oh, and you need a bunch of things like that.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoy that there's so much to do in Black Desert because I love that feeling of accomplishment, checking the box, being task oriented, etc. The problem (for me personally) is that this sense of accomplishment makes me feel like I'm being productive, and I ignore the actual productive behaviors/activities that Ishouldbe doing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the video; TLP has convinced me that I just need to uninstall now as my unhealthy relationship with the game isn't going to get better. I tried to shut it off for good last week, but that only lasted about 24 hours before I told myself, "Well, I'll just afk fish. That's enough to scratch that itch without being fully committed." By the end of the day I was grinding out mobs and running around gathering crafting mats.

So long Black Desert, and thanks for all the fish.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not to turn anyone away from playing this game for a bit, but this video basically expands on Tuco's previous comment of "there is only the grind".
[/video]

Now TLP has his own reasons for quitting that expand beyond the foibles of the game, but he's not wrong in his assessment after some perspective from actually playing for a bit. Key points that I (and others) struggle with are the RNG for gear progression and the lack of level cap which translates into a never-ending grind for exp.

That said, it's absolutely worth playing if you like MMOs.
I actually think he *is* wrong (whoever he is).

There is a grind and a million things to progress, but if you pursue them your character becomes appreciably different than other characters who did not pursue the same progression paths.

Very few people know there's an entirely additional fishing game that opens up later for dedicated fishers, for example.

Too many people try to play and consume this game like they already know how it's gonna go, and they don't. BDO makes it so that you can do what you want, and your character and rewards in the end are different' enough for having chose that path.

This is the best true virtual world MMO in 13 years. It's not perfect, but the best we have.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Too many people try to play and consume this game like they already know how it's gonna go, and they don't. BDO makes it so that you can do what you want, and your character and rewards in the end are different' enough for having chose that path.
I think too many people are coming into it thinking, "OMG a WoW killer!" or various other comparisons to WoW and it really has nothing similar to WoW other than the quest systems.

This game is closer to Diablo 2 than it is to a traditional MMO (Yeah i know, diablo 2 had more loot diversity, blame PvP for those limitations because that is why they exist).

You grind mobs, not quests.

You RNG loot, not daily raid / dungeon resets.

Those 2 things encompass a small portion of the available content out there.

"I don't like anything that isn't PvP or killing things!"
- Then grind out your levels, get your best in slot and then rage quit the broken game with no content.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
About to load this up in an hour or so, is Musa good times?(they look like it) I usually go support so was looking at Valkyrie as well, keeping in mind my MMO twitch skills are pretty shitty these days.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
About to load this up in an hour or so, is Musa good times?(they look like it) I usually go support so was looking at Valkyrie as well, keeping in mind my MMO twitch skills are pretty shitty these days.
Play a ranger, wizard or witch. Don't base your opinion on what the game is like from playing a handful of level 20 characters.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I really enjoy that there's so much to do in Black Desert because I love that feeling of accomplishment, checking the box, being task oriented, etc. The problem (for me personally) is that this sense of accomplishment makes me feel like I'm being productive, and I ignore the actual productive behaviors/activities that Ishouldbe doing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the video; TLP has convinced me that I just need to uninstall now as my unhealthy relationship with the game isn't going to get better. I tried to shut it off for good last week, but that only lasted about 24 hours before I told myself, "Well, I'll just afk fish. That's enough to scratch that itch without being fully committed." By the end of the day I was grinding out mobs and running around gathering crafting mats.

So long Black Desert, and thanks for all the fish.
I don't understand views like this. Were you not having any fun?

To Hatorade: unfortunately you really do need to play a bunch to find one you like. I played Warrior to mid 20's before switching to Ranger, played that to low 40's then swapped to Wizard. Only mid-40's on Wizard so far but it is my favorite. I grinded a Musa to 28 last night and it is a ton of fun but melee definitely have it harder than ranged in this game (and like, every MMO ever).

tarb

Trakanon Raider
I actually think he *is* wrong (whoever he is).

There is a grind and a million things to progress, but if you pursue them your character becomes appreciably different than other characters who did not pursue the same progression paths.

Very few people know there's an entirely additional fishing game that opens up later for dedicated fishers, for example.

This is the best true virtual world MMO in 13 years. It's not perfect, but the best we have.
This. I watch some of TLP vids and he doesn't like BDO because he is a PVP'er and its too hard to stay in the top 1% for PVP, he does not do any of the tons of other things in the game and if you look at his stats he shows at the end of the video it proves it, he isn't even close to 175 CP has low energy and neg 1 Mil Karma. Go play Call of Duty Peon.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit will hit the fan as soon as they release GvG content anyway, 18h/day +300ADP grind robots meeting regular / casual players. As for RNG gear progression, if you don't like to gamble just buy everything, it's not like it's hard to make money in Black Desert if you have the time to grind.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Shit will hit the fan as soon as they release GvG content anyway, 18h/day +300ADP grind robots meeting regular / casual players. As for RNG gear progression, if you don't like to gamble just buy everything, it's not like it's hard to make money in Black Desert if you have the time to grind.
^^

Everyone in the main PRX guild is 290 ADP or higher. It'll be 300 in a week or so, and June 1st is our 56+ requirement. We regularly have coordinated skirmishes with other guilds and the guilds who don't have very geared players are completely rolled over.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't releasing +20, awakenings and other grind-extenders. Once you get +15 on liverto/armor etc and PRI on your jewelry gains become exponentially harder.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The RNG really really must have gotten to that guy. Thats really all i can think of. Ill agree about the bit with the bosses though. That shit is for the birds as a Warrior. If you're trying to do enough damage to get loot, then you're going to die and die a lot. I wouldnt be doing a boss if I was trying to level though. Thats just dumb.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A lot of our guys are leveling ranger alts to do bosses with. Kind of silly but it works.