Black Desert

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not guild drama so much as me and a middle aged woman not getting along. She's Asian and sounds like she's in her 20's, so she has a lot more popularity points.
Americans have nothing on the intolerance of Asians. This is known.

Had to reinstall the game last night. Patches would inevitably find a corrupt file, forcing a check. Usually resolved itself but it was a good waste of 20 minutes just to start up the game. Yesterday it kept looping the whole process. Stuck it on a different drive. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Also, definitely the modern day EQ from where I'm standing. If you can't find anything to do then I don't know what to tell you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was in PRX for a short while on Archeage - didn't have any problems with people but there was some interesting drama involving trade runs. Definitely wasn't for me being casual because it seemed like every time I logged on there was some mandatory trade run where I'd have to take my guy, pick up a pack, then set on someone's ship for 30 minutes or longer. This game would be even worse for me. I log on, do a bunch of crafting and selling and talking to NPC's, realize I'm out of time to play and haven't even killed anything. There was one girl in the guild that I wanted to backhand, but she definitely wasn't Asian. I wish I could remember her name - she was like KV's second in command. It would take great restraint in real life not to dot her eye if she had that attitude with me. Everyone else was cool though.
That person was removed last year. Now that was some serious drama.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I also don't get the comparisons to EQ.

1. No forced grouping.
2. No named spawn camping
3. No raiding.
4. Completely different leveling and gearing system.
5. Action style combat.
6. No support classes.
7. PvP

I mean, what makes it like EQ?

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Semi-pay 2 win Ultima Online variant with levels and talents, and no item loss.

And their cash shop is the god damn Bellagio.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Say what you want about whatever "drama" I caused, I was never "negative" to any member in the guild until I went nuclear on Lady_Claire.

Relient says she's Asian, but she identifies herself as coming from Dubai. She seriously has an axe to grind with America. Says the Saudi's don't stone or mistreat women, and the only reason we think they do is because Western media flat out lies. I mean she asked me for facts and attacked the veracity of the god damn PEW poll. Say's it isn't accurate because there are 320 million Americans and it only polls a small percentage, lol.

I have a hard enough time getting along with my girlfriends, women who play video games tend to have personalities that are very feminist/elitist (guys give them way too much attention, it's almost annoying), yet you know they are probably the women featured on Hoarders. That said, there's one girl in PRX I like a lot, but I can't remember her name.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The lack of #2 saddens me, i miss spawn camping so much
I actually do too. In BDO grinding is so easy (as a wizard) because you can just hop around and use any one of the many "kill everything buttons" but if you stop for 4 seconds to type mobs will spawn and attack you. I actually prefer EQ's grinding where it's slower, methodical and inherently social. I wish EQ had a higher apm skill cap, but unlike BDO if you screw up in EQ things can fall apart spectacularly and slowly.

Hell, in BDO it's actually a blessing if someone runs by and trains you with 8 mobs, because you can just tag, grab and bag them with whatever your normal rotation is.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I also don't get the comparisons to EQ.

1. No forced grouping.
2. No named spawn camping
3. No raiding.
4. Completely different leveling and gearing system.
5. Action style combat.
6. No support classes.
7. PvP

I mean, what makes it like EQ?
For me it has nothing to do with gameplay itself which I agree is nothing like EQ.

It's more about how the game makes me feel. It is by far the best "World" of any MMO since EQ. WoW was a great game, but Azeroth never felt like a great world, WoW always felt like a game. EQ always felt more like a world to me, and Black Desert gives me that same feeling.

The other thing is for the first time since EQ, I feel lost in the game. I don't know what to do, how to do it, or rather how to do it efficiently. The systems are poorly explained, there very few guides out there and most of them are incomplete.

There is a lot less hand-holding, few breadcrumbs, and the game is probably the most open in that it lets you play how you want. Log in and do whatever you feel like doing, and you'll make some sort of progress and get some form of rewards. You don't have to play it a certain way, follow a clear linear path to progress.

Finally...nights being dark.
smile.png

moontayle

Golden Squire
For me it has nothing to do with gameplay itself which I agree is nothing like EQ.

It's more about how the game makes me feel. It is by far the best "World" of any MMO since EQ. WoW was a great game, but Azeroth never felt like a great world, WoW always felt like a game. EQ always felt more like a world to me, and Black Desert gives me that same feeling.

The other thing is for the first time since EQ, I feel lost in the game. I don't know what to do, how to do it, or rather how to do it efficiently. The systems are poorly explained, there very few guides out there and most of them are incomplete.

There is a lot less hand-holding, few breadcrumbs, and the game is probably the most open in that it lets you play how you want. Log in and do whatever you feel like doing, and you'll make some sort of progress and get some form of rewards. You don't have to play it a certain way, follow a clear linear path to progress.

smile.png
+1. I really like how they decoupled quests from actual leveling (by and large doesn't contribute to level exp), and they instead contribute to the growth of your character in other ways. So doing them is still good but is not how you explicitly level.

Tuco, it's not a 1:1 feels comparison. It's more like it's the first time I haven't felt like I was playing in an MMO theme park since Star Wars: Galaxies. For all it's "sandbox", even Archeage had you run from quest hub to quest hub just to continue leveling.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

smile.png
I don't see the world comparison either. EQ had a massive world with a variety of zones and traversing from one end to the other without porting took hours and could be pretty dangerous (<3 kithicor) with severe penalties if you fucked up and lost your corpse. BDO has basically three zones, all of which look the same and traversing it can be done quickly, in safety and while AFK. There's also no real dungeons, which I found to be the heart of EQ's world even though I enjoyed the outdoor areas also.

BDO, on the other hand, has bustling cities and the roadways are populated with travelling players and NPC workers, which I find super cool.

I kind of understand the "I felt lost in EQ, and now I feel lost in BDO." but I think that comparison is pretty weak.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

smile.png
This. Plus the grind.

Also guild drama is back. Bunch of members in the guild I'm in up and quit last night. Not sure why, wasn't keeping up or in TS at the time. Just saw the aftermath and all the butthurt texts. Was pretty amusing and brought back the EQ nostalgia.

Then I went back to fishing.

@Tuco

He perhaps didn't articulate the reasons for it well, don't think I could either. Especially since when you look at the details, there doesn't seem to be any comparison. But for whatever reason when I'm playing this game it reminds me of being in EQ. No other mmo has done that.

The deja vu isn't intense but it is there.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's always soon after release drama for so many different reasons.

We had one guy quit the game this week. He played BDO for two years through a VPN in a different language he didn't understand, then in NA release he got to a high level and geared in two weeks then quit. This is a super common phenomena which is why we tell our folks not to play betas or foreign releases that much. People play a game for months or years pre-release not because they're having fun, but because they want to be prepared to have fun after release. Then release comes and it's the same shit they've been playing, just now they don't have anything to look forward to and prepare for.

Other people place such a massive important on every little detail because everything is new or something. Every little problem that happens is a huge deal. Someone sneaks a legionnaire bracer and people treat it like they ninja'd a fungi tunic.

People crack under the self-imposed pressure, are told to stand down or be brought down, and the war marches on. So far PRX has been pretty clean. Not as clean as GW2 where our immediate and decisive victories smoothed over any problems with the sweet scent of winning, but better than ESO and AA where our core membership was bitter about the game when it was released and either didn't play or quit within weeks.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Was it Clemintine? I only played with PRX in GW2, but there was something about her that just always rubbed me the wrong way. Then again, most "gamer girls!" tend to do that. Usually because they tend to be giant drama bombs waiting to go off, all while being pretty terrible at games.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Fucks sake you folks look too deep into things.

I feel like I just mentioned to a room full of addicts that this is the closest thing to heroin they will get. Then they spent the next 6000 pages claiming I said it was heroin.

TL;DR You're never getting EQ again...sorry. But this is the closest thing to it. No one is ever again going to give players the freedom in combat that EQ did. Protip: It wasn't intentional in EQ either...

Amenra

Molten Core Raider
Game is worth the price, but expect to spend have to buy 100 Elion's Tears and a $20 costume (either +10% experience or Ghilli Suit) if you want to actually compete.

Start AFK fishing at the spot I mentioned earlier as soon as possible, and get a good high durability fishing pole. Craft a Balph's (blue with no fishing requirement, 50 dura) and you can have yourself a pole that will last all night. Then you just need to quest on your fishing alt to get some inventory space.

It really is worth playing. Every day you have to login to claim loyalty points and do your daily scrolls as they really generate profit. Each scroll boss gets you another 4 people's bosses (since groups tend to group around everyone having the same amount of scrolls), so you get 5 marks and a few black stones all tallying up to roughly 1-2 mil per scroll.

So each daily is 1-2 mil, AFK fishing over 24 hours (if you go to town 3x every 24h) nets you another 1.5 mil. So you're looking at 3 mil per day logging in.

I have a 40 wizard, 50 Berserker, 50 Warrior. I went back to my Berserker after talking to Jamrock. Choose wisely, ALL the classes have massively different playstyles. Berserker is the best farming class in the game atm, followed by Wizard. There are almost no tamers.
Warrior is fun but I just liked the chaoticness of the Berserker. Wizards are a ton of fun, can't go wrong with it.
I went to that spot last night and the fish I was getting were all crap. Maybe the spot changed since maintenance?

Non the less though, I went to Illya Island instead and made about 400k last night, so thanks for the tip.

Why would you need a fishing alt?