Black Desert

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bartering has replaced Trading. I imagine any updates to Trading will make it similar to Bartering, but on land.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
ok thanks! I’ve been bartering slowly, trying to get more proficient. I was doing to routes that were just too long and took way too much time. I was worried the same thing would happen with trading. Seems like a huge time sink to get the appropriate buffs.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is it even worth rolling a new character outside of seasonal? I'm really not digging the Archer, but he's my seasonal character and I don't want to just delete a level 58 (especially with how useful alts are in this game). I only have access to Olvia for another 2 weeks. Is the EXP buff the same on both? I don't really give a shit about the seasonal perks/gear, since I've earned most of them already.

Also, are the quests for increased inventory space character only? I've put them off under the assumption they are a once per family thing, but I'm hoping it's per character.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Inventory quests are per character, and you also get inventory via MSQ's. You can delete the Archer and make a new Seasonal if you wanted, doing so won't reset the Seasonal goals, but you could put all the Tuvala gear in storage and use it on the new one. Doing a new non Seasonal is fine, the Olivia servers have the same XP bonus as Seasonal.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Inventory quests are per character, and you also get inventory via MSQ's. You can delete the Archer and make a new Seasonal if you wanted, doing so won't reset the Seasonal goals, but you could put all the Tuvala gear in storage and use it on the new one. Doing a new non Seasonal is fine, the Olivia servers have the same XP bonus as Seasonal.
Well, that's just it, I don't really want to delete the Archer because of the usefulness of alts in this game. If it wasn't for that, I'd easily delete it.

Speaking of rerolling, I get that this game is for fucking neckbeards and weebs, but can we get some more male classes? Fucking 13 chicks to 7 dudes. Mystics and Lahns seem badass, but there is 0 chance I play a female outside of some sort of lifeskill alt.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do as you like. You can make a new Season character with access to Season servers for the next couple months or a new non Season with access to Olivia for two weeks. Plenty of time to get either or both to 61.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Is it even worth rolling a new character outside of seasonal? I'm really not digging the Archer, but he's my seasonal character and I don't want to just delete a level 58 (especially with how useful alts are in this game). I only have access to Olvia for another 2 weeks. Is the EXP buff the same on both? I don't really give a shit about the seasonal perks/gear, since I've earned most of them already.

Also, are the quests for increased inventory space character only? I've put them off under the assumption they are a once per family thing, but I'm hoping it's per character.
You should be just fine on the regular servers. The leveling is still really fast to 56. You miss some perks, but with all avenues to get stuff in the game you should be ok. Do you still have the loyalty 530% EXP buffs? Those help a bunch. Make sure you get your Chenga tome and that helps a ton.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You should be just fine on the regular servers. The leveling is still really fast to 56. You miss some perks, but with all avenues to get stuff in the game you should be ok. Do you still have the loyalty 530% EXP buffs? Those help a bunch. Make sure you get your Chenga tome and that helps a ton.
Yeah, I really need to get the Chenga tomb before I shelve the Archer. I know I'm probably going to regret rolling Musa, but Archer is just so blah for me.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you want a male class, awakened warrior is really good, and looks pretty badass with the big sword.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really wish I had bought that deluxe package, but I was waiting and then dog died so I kind of lost gaming motivation. Now I'm feeling better though.

Anything like that come up frequently enough I should be on the lookout? Otherwise it seems like stuff costs $40 for some worthless shit that's barely even valuable.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Really wish I had bought that deluxe package, but I was waiting and then dog died so I kind of lost gaming motivation. Now I'm feeling better though.

Anything like that come up frequently enough I should be on the lookout? Otherwise it seems like stuff costs $40 for some worthless shit that's barely even valuable.
Just look for weight, inventory, and maybe some of the P2W pets if they ever go on sale. Those are about the only things outside of shit like season pass, deluxe, etc. that are really worth it.

Most of it is cosmetic or for convenience/pay to go faster. Some costumes are "necessary" if you want to min/max certain lifeskills, but a lot of times it's a relatively miniscule difference. Like the difference between 1.8m/hour or 2m/hour type of difference. It matters if you plan on trying to compete with the top income earners or absolutely feel like you need to be at peak efficiency with EVERYTHING. And obviously it matters over the course of months or years, but a couple lucky RNGs at a grind spot and you'll have made up the difference anyhow.
If you want a male class, awakened warrior is really good, and looks pretty badass with the big sword.
Yeah, I have a warrior. I don't hate him, but there's just something "off" about the feel of the class to me. I liked the movement of the Archer, I just found his skills/combos to be kinda bland. I'm hoping that Awakened Musa is the answer to that, even though he isn't the greatest PvE grinder or PvPer. If I hate the Musa, I'll probably fall back to my Warrior or Succ Striker, even though I don't want to. Hash looks kinda interesting though.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I get it, I guess the question is is there a good time to buy stuff?

For instance, a 200LT weight increase cost $17! That's ridiculous to me, especially since it's for a single character.

Seems like this has to be one of those cases where no one actually buys stuff for the listed price and always wait for some kind of sale.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I get it, I guess the question is is there a good time to buy stuff?

For instance, a 200LT weight increase cost $17! That's ridiculous to me, especially since it's for a single character.

Seems like this has to be one of those cases where no one actually buys stuff for the listed price and always wait for some kind of sale.
Yeah, there's a list for when certain things go on sale. Like all cash shops, they go on rotational "sales" for certain things. I'm just not certain what that rotation is. I'm sure you can find it though. Also, right around new events/content they'll typically release a sale of some sort. For instance, they just had all the p2w pets up for sale last week and I snagged 'em (polar bear, hedgehog, artic wolf, etc.).

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, there's a list for when certain things go on sale. Like all cash shops, they go on rotational "sales" for certain things. I'm just not certain what that rotation is. I'm sure you can find it though. Also, right around new events/content they'll typically release a sale of some sort. For instance, they just had all the p2w pets up for sale last week and I snagged 'em (polar bear, hedgehog, artic wolf, etc.).

All that should change though soon once kakao is out though? The stuff I was reading said the game should be less lay to win when they are gone. Regarding pets do those bonuses stack like 2 hedgehogs?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All that should change though soon once kakao is out though? The stuff I was reading said the game should be less lay to win when they are gone. Regarding pets do those bonuses stack like 2 hedgehogs?
Pearl Abyss taking over is kind of an unknown. Some things about KR's cash shop are better, some things are worse. I know that when PA took over EVE, they added a lot of P2W bullshit, but many people think the game's "overall" health is better. I'd suspect the same from PA taking over. There will undoubtedly be some P2W bullshit added, but they'll probably add a lot of nice QOL changes to a lot of things as well.

No, they don't stack if you have multiple out. However, you can exchange/breed them to make their gathering proc chance higher.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
I started playing this recently and am wondering if there are any not so obvious things I should know about as a new player?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I started playing this recently and am wondering if there are any not so obvious things I should know about as a new player?
Try every class so you can find the one(s) you enjoy the combat of. You make a lvl60 Trial version of all classes to give yourself an idea of how they play. Classes from lvl1 to lvl55 are known as "pre awakening". At lvl56 you get the choice taking the Awakening or Succession path. The Awakening is a new version of the pre awakening class, sometimes fairly similar, but sometimes very very different. The Succession is an updated and much stronger version of pre awakening. You'll be able to switch between the two whenever you want (in town, or if you have a certain buff).

The game is built around making silver. Do what you like the most that can earn you the most silver. The cash shop monetizes this pretty strongly through Weight / Inventory / Pets / Maids / Outfits / Buffs. No need to spend money if you're just starting out since the game will throw a lot of freebies at you, but if you enjoy the game, then spending some amount of money will be beneficial.

Lots of other stuff, but its best to ask questions.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, really find a class you enjoy thoroughly. You'll be spending HUNDREDS of hours on it. This is an extremely deep game (probably the deepest MMO out there, IMO) and something you have to plan for long-term/invest in. If your goal is to just casually fuck around for a few weeks, it's honestly probably not the right game for you.

For instance, I've spent the past 3 weeks fucking around on various classes (still having a rough time finding one that feels 100% "right") and working on gathering/cooking casually to get some cash established. And the whole time I've been watching YouTube, Twitch, and a podcast, yet feel like I only deeply understand about 10-15% of the game.

Also, understand that you're going to be really inefficient at most things early on. Lifeskilling, grinding, worker empire, etc. A lot of the "guides" out there are from the perspectives of dudes that have put years into the game. So, not only do they have great gear to make things more efficient, they have a near perfect understanding of whatever topic they're discussing. A lot of the shit they expect literally isn't possible as a fresh/newer player. Plus, a lot of efficiency gains are relatively minor. In the areas of 1-20%. It's made into a "big deal" because over the course of months or years, that's obviously a huge loss of potential money, exp, etc. But, being 5-10% less efficient for a week or two while you figure out mistakes or what works better for your particular playstyle? Not a big deal.

A good example of this is workers. Goblins are far and away the best workers in pretty much every aspect. There are a few cases where a short distance node with secondary resources can be better as a human because of luck differences, but a lot of those a goblin is still better over the long term. However, goblins have super low stamina, so they need a lot more attention in terms of food and such. So, someone who can check in on their workers every few hours is ALWAYS going to have better results. But, if you're someone who has to afk for long periods, Giants can be great for that. Because while they are mostly shit, obviously having a worker doing SOMETHING is better than a goblin who ran out of stamina 4 hours ago.

These are the examples of efficiency I'm talking about. The difference isn't huge, is impacted a lot by playstyle, and at the end of the day is really only noticeable over the course of thousands of hours.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I highly recommend focusing on cooking first on if you're into lifeskills, it'll boost your CP so you can setup a nice worker empire (and get 10 fences for 100 CP if you want to manage farming daily) and you can do daily imperial cooking turnins for a nice easy daily profit. After that gathering, hunting, bartering are strong skills to invest in, but bartering especially is complicated and will take a big investment before the money starts coming in. Like Kirun said, youtube and guides are your friend, the game has a lot of systems and many of them are complex, but they're also mostly optional. You can focus on what you want and never touch the things you're not interested in for the most part.

Use this for cooking:
Cooking spreadsheet

• 1Like