Black Friday 2018

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've bought a lot of Lego sets on Ebay. My experiences have been pretty positive, and the one time I didn't get what I paid for, Ebay refunded me, no hassle. YMMV of course, but /shrug

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I might be crazy but I never buy anything from eBay. I assume everything on there is border line a scam or 2nd hand shit which is what eBay was for, I haven’t bought anything from that site in like 20 years.

The only things I go to eBay for on the regular are out of print books, and electronic components. ANd I assume the latter are always chinese knock offs and order twice as many as I need expecting at least part to be defective.

This sounds terribly "old guy" of me but anybody scoped out any good Black Friday deals on mattresses yet? The Mrs and I are rough on mattresses and need a new one. But haven't gotten enough trust in the online only places to just blindly order a memory foam one yet.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I've had little issues with the stuff I've actually bought from there. In fact, some of the usual vendors or ebay themselves peddle some decent sales.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
well the deal was from newegg, so not some random scammer, the deal is dead now.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Nah it's probably just me being an old guy with a weird bias. Somewhere along the years I convinced myself eBay was dogshit.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There are quite a few companies that have a storefront on ebay now like Newegg. I don't bother with the site because it's utter dogshit in Canada. Everything is from the UK or the US with $30+ shipping costs

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The only things I go to eBay for on the regular are out of print books, and electronic components. ANd I assume the latter are always chinese knock offs and order twice as many as I need expecting at least part to be defective.

This sounds terribly "old guy" of me but anybody scoped out any good Black Friday deals on mattresses yet? The Mrs and I are rough on mattresses and need a new one. But haven't gotten enough trust in the online only places to just blindly order a memory foam one yet.
Where dem mattress deals at brah? I’m still using a sleep number hand me down from 2006 :emoji_grimacing:

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Where dem mattress deals at brah? I’m still using a sleep number hand me down from 2006 :emoji_grimacing:

Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I are on a Serta iComfort from around 2008 and that foam, she don't hold up like she used to..... Which is why we're looking and despite her desires to play Spiderman in 4K bed will probably trump new TV as next "toy" to get....

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Also need a mattress deal here. And a king size bed deal here

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
is foam that good now? i like a firm mattress, the foam i messed with makes you sink down like a stone.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Foam sucks.

No bounce for the sex.

I have a really high end one, so we fuck in the spare / guest room...

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
is foam that good now? i like a firm mattress, the foam i messed with makes you sink down like a stone.

Every negative review I read talks about the off-gassing too.

I dunno that just makes me think it's a cheap "Fad" of sorts. Cheap being the manufacturing process and the fad being peoples attraction to cheap shit.

I would totally buy one if it didn't seem like a cost cutting "Godsend" that suddenly fell into the laps of mattress manufacturers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Foam sucks.

No bounce for the sex.

I have a really high end one, so we fuck in the spare / guest room...
yea i agree, which is why i went w/ super foam topper + regular spring mattress, although this now puts you into having to buy deep sheets, mine are 21in regular i think is 14

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every negative review I read talks about the off-gassing too.

I dunno that just makes me think it's a cheap "Fad" of sorts. Cheap being the manufacturing process and the fad being peoples attraction to cheap shit.

I would totally buy one if it didn't seem like a cost cutting "Godsend" that suddenly fell into the laps of mattress manufacturers.

Wife and I had one, lasted for about a year before it was totally unsuitable for sleeping. I would avoid these things at any price.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, in defense of memory foam mattresses (who thought that would be my Sunday?!?)....

We've had ours 8-10 years or so, hard to remember. It's been a good medium in terms of firmness. It sleeps a little warm , which caused problems at one point as I also generated a lot of heat while sleeping but that seems to have trended back to normal. Mrs. Haus has a slight nerve impingement in her back which she picked up in the last few years and as it's started to sag a little it's making that more problematic for her. I'm also noticing a dent I'm sleeping in, but also the thing is around a decade old... The first 7 or so years we had it the sleep was so good it spoiled me and made it difficult for me to get a good nights sleep when travelling and on the road at hotels... We tried a box mattress from Sam's and it was so firm neither of us were comfortable on it so we returned it. (good thing we kept the old one while we were trying out the new).

So I'm supposing it's a YMMV thing. I'm debating this time getting one of the hybrids, so the foam is on top and a layer of coils under that.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
OK, in defense of memory foam mattresses (who thought that would be my Sunday?!?)....

We've had ours 8-10 years or so, hard to remember. It's been a good medium in terms of firmness. It sleeps a little warm , which caused problems at one point as I also generated a lot of heat while sleeping but that seems to have trended back to normal. Mrs. Haus has a slight nerve impingement in her back which she picked up in the last few years and as it's started to sag a little it's making that more problematic for her. I'm also noticing a dent I'm sleeping in, but also the thing is around a decade old... The first 7 or so years we had it the sleep was so good it spoiled me and made it difficult for me to get a good nights sleep when travelling and on the road at hotels... We tried a box mattress from Sam's and it was so firm neither of us were comfortable on it so we returned it. (good thing we kept the old one while we were trying out the new).

So I'm supposing it's a YMMV thing. I'm debating this time getting one of the hybrids, so the foam is on top and a layer of coils under that.

Do you remember who made your "Jesus" bed?

LoL

the wife and I are in the market for a new mattress and I just really have not been looking forward to the new all foam mattresses. Perceived Issues as stated previously.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Do you remember who made your "Jesus" bed?

LoL

the wife and I are in the market for a new mattress and I just really have not been looking forward to the new all foam mattresses. Perceived Issues as stated previously.

For us, the bed before this one was the Queen I owned when we met and married. It was a Sealy Posturepedic, and only became a really comfortable bed to me once I put a (at that time "brand new technology") memory gel topper on it.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I got a hybrid (pillow top and foam wrapped coils). Seems decent, but I can see it wearing out after 10-20 years. Think I'm about 7 in right now.