Black Panther (2018)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
"It's what africa would have been like without white capitalists!"

But with magic. And mystery super metals. And science that doesn't exist in the real world.

Was I supposed to get some kind of white person high watching Lord of the Rings or something?

"I can finally love myself now that I know we defeated lord sauron"
Yeah I keep seeing this but it wasn't Africa that was involved, it was Wakkanda.

Africa still sucks in this movie. I think there is a distinction to be made there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
6/10. Yes there were more blacks than anyone at my theater. That chick
Lupita Nyong'o has the best skin on the whole damn planet. I had a watermelon martini. Shit was delicious.

CGI was way overused
Fights were not the best
Bad guy reasons for wanting to take over was plain ass stupid
Bad guy over acted EVERYTHING
Had that limp eye bastard Forest Whitaker in the movie
Zero super hero cameo's
General was more interesting than the king whenever she was on screen
Bilbo Baggins looks old as fuck now
Bad guy: MIT grad. Special forces, green beret, professional snail racer and master knitter. Lets try and have him act like a thug.

Best looking Marvel movie though. Good setup for technology being released come Infinity Wars.

• 7Worf
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Meteor Man. Ghost Dog. Oya.

Black Panther in the Xmen TV show. Ultimate Avengers 2. New Avengers. Ironman armored adventures. Super hero squad show. Black Panther (Djimon Hounsou). Earths mightiest heroes. Avengers Assemble. Wolverine vs Sabretooth. Marvel disk wars: the Avengers.

Jeanne Bell. Jim Brown. Shaft. Like a dozen others.

A Uganda "film". Wakaliwood.

Carl weathers, Wesley snipes, Lawrence fishburne, Sam Jackson, will smith, Naomie Harris, Michael jai white, halle berry, Idris Elba, Tyrese Gibson, john boyega.

Theater is surprisingly empty, even for a late showing. I also noticed this in the bathroom and I honestly don't think it had been posted before tonight.
20180215_221055.jpg

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Someone who saw it do a spoiler command for the ending credits. Brahma?

They said they would share their tech at the U.N. That was it. I was too dispirited to stay for the SECOND ending credits. But the girl said Bucky was shown Wakanda.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Best comedy of the year

Water screws and Irrigation? Vibranium
Textiles and sewing techniques? Vibranium
Medicine? Vibranium
Mathematics, logistics, software? Vibranium

Bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who understood it was better to die free than in bondage. Jesus Christ this movie was cringe worthy at every turn. I wanted to like it so much I took my damn family to the first showing. It was "We waz Kangz because of something we live on top of. Not because of our people."

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back, not bad 6.5/10. Not top 5 or even 10 maybe MCU tier, because the bad guy(s) all were pretty lame and their plans were completely idiotic. You can't get the benefit of synergy with the big Marvel universe and then pretend no one exists who can stop you with a couple of spears or some shit. Weirdly enough Black Panther himself was the most generic, boring ass character in the movie, all the supporting characters stole the show and had far better arcs and lines. Script should have been a lot tighter, lot of wasted time on pointless stuff. The action sequences for the most part looked awful, way too much quick cuts and dark shots and bad choreography. The final battles also were pretty generic and boring. Worth a watch if you are a comic book fan, because this movie felt very comic-booky in how plots and characters unfolded, and thats not a good thing imo.

Re: the two post credit scenes
First one just has T'Challa addressing the UN saying Wakanda will share its tech with the world, we should work together, blah blah. Setup for Thanos fucking up Earth I assume.
Second one has Bucky, one-armed, thanking T'Challas sister for saving him. Presumably he has been wiped of all that shit that would trigger winter soldier mode, hope they build him a nice Wakandan arm.

Also my first thought was after T'Challa reveals vibranium and how it works to the world, the Russians or Chinese would definitely invade the country and claim vibranium for themselves.

Crowd was pretty diverse, 0 yells at the theater during the movie (woo) and a lot of clapping at the beginning and end. I saw a ton of absolutely gorgeous black men and women all dressed up in fancy evening wear, I kinda felt bad wearing my Star Wars hoodie.

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'll agree with 6/10. It didn't inspire me at all really. I actually commented about Lupita's skin (I'm assuming she's the ex), particularly in that scene at the end, so it wasn't just you.

It is possible that I was way too hyped up about Infinity War and wanted there to be SOME connection to the rest of the heroes besides Bilbo, so maybe that influenced me some, but I still feel this is down there in the bottom third of the movies. Like, I really didn't like Thor: The Dark World when I saw it in theaters, but I still watched it again before the last Avengers movie and didn't mind it as much now that I saw how it fit into the bigger picture. This...it doesn't fit into the bigger picture at all except that it's Black Panther. Maybe in the future they'll use tech-girl or something, but they could just as easily leave all that to Stark and Banner. The first Captain America is a good comparison to this movie in that it didn't have much at all to do with the rest of the characters and was an origin story, but to me it was still a much more compelling movie because of the underdog, never quit attitude Cap had even as a wimp. Black Panther, even with the "trials and tribulations" he experiences in this movie, is never really an underdog to the viewers.

Mediocre is really the best way I can describe Black Panther. I don't care about the politics or "colonizer" comments (although I'd love to see the reaction if someone called a Wakandan a spear-chucker, for example), it just wasn't a very engaging movie at all. Oh, and some people said this was the best villain yet??? What. The. Fuck. He was terrible. Like, Mickey Rourke's Whiplash is maybe a better character. I'm not kidding. Whiplash shits on this guy and then goes and has breakfast.

Gah, as I talk more about it I start to think it is even worse than my initial reaction. I might revise my earlier ranking and say it is maybe in the bottom 3 with Dark World and Iron Man 3. Norton's Hulk was better.

Oh, and Jesus, one part where the Quinjet ripoff is landing on the water, the CGI was complete shit. Most of the rest of it was great, but it stood out terribly to me and I couldn't look away.

I better stop. I'm getting triggered now.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The film was also super dark. Not sure if the contrast was messed up in our theatre or if it was covering up some of the CGI.

Andy Serkis is starting to look more like Hagrid every day.

• 1Worf

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I'd put this solidly towards the top of my Second Tier Marvel movies.

Visually, I thought it was incredible, especially as far as costumes/makeup and tech was concerned. Michael B Jordan's bad guy was cliched, but I thought his performance was good (third good performance he has turned in for this director). Wakanda was cool. The Dora Milaje were really cool to see in live action. There is so much color in this movie (99% black cast pun not intended) and the interweaving of traditional African stylings/clothes/traditions/colors/etc and the hyper-advanced Wakanda was really well done. There's a lot of Coming to America and Lion King vibes in the movie.

The biggest problem this movie had was it was too safe and straightforward, but they executed that safe and straightforward story pretty well, imo.

Assuming this gets a sequel like every marvel hero, I hope they let Ryan Coogler take the helm again. I've not seen Fruitvale Station, but between this and Creed, I'd watch another offering of his in the Marvel Universe.

• 1Picard

Oldbased

> Than U
The twitter trend is full of nonstop praise and anyone who disagrees is a racist.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Saw it. I could go on and on about certain ridiculous scenes, but my huge gripe right now is towards media outlets that hyped up the villain as the "best ever". Really...what the fuck movie did they see? Can we not give Wallace any more parts. Between this, creed, and F4, I'm less than impressed.

CGI....these scenes are so depressing. The only way CGI works is if it is flawlessly done...and it wasn't here. Scenery was cool, action sequences weren't. Meh, whatever...it wasn't the worst thing ever, just boring. If it wasn't being praised as the second coming I probably wouldn't be this harsh about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
6/10 is accurate, acceptable, and fair. Michael B. Jordan hammed it up exactly as I expected him to. Thug from MIT? gtfo. BP was the most bland character. General and sister were both good. Iono I just don't really feel like saying much about it. It was a movie where stuff happened.

It was too long.

I also saw dudes walking into the theater with coming to America style African shirts.

Crowd only laughed at the vegetarian joke. Groaned at "colonialist".

• 1Solidarity

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Saw this tonight and thought it was pretty decent. I liked the setting, characters, look, etc. I feel its near the top of the 2nd tier solo movies. Action scenes weren't the best. The anti Trump messages were strong ranging from we are obligated to help all immigrants, to a UN speech saying a wise man wanting to unite all peoples should be building bridges not barriers. Anyhow good flick worth watching. Two side notes...

The 1st is the rhinos in the end battle. My daughter asked if they were gophers. Maybe I missed it but where the fuck did they come from. I know they showed them earlier in the movie shit just made no sense to me in that final battle.

Other thing I thought of was that Resident Evil game they had take place in Africa where everyone flipped out when the majority of zombies were black so they redid the game to change that aspect. They had no problem with any of that in this movie.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Michael B Jordan's bad guy was cliched, but I thought his performance was good

Ya...he was the worst actor in the movie man. His character even worse than the acting.

Bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who understood it was better to die free than in bondage. Jesus Christ this movie was cringe worthy at every turn.

Yeah....That was way too forced. Someone in the theater clapped for a split second at that. I face palmed.

The film was also super dark. Not sure if the contrast was messed up in our theatre or if it was covering up some of the CGI.

Andy Serkis is starting to look more like Hagrid every day.

Ok...thought it was just me. WTF was the movie so dark?

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
6/10 is accurate, acceptable, and fair. Michael B. Jordan hammed it up exactly as I expected him to. Thug from MIT? gtfo. BP was the most bland character. General and sister were both good. Iono I just don't really feel like saying much about it. It was a movie where stuff happened.

It was too long.

I also saw dudes walking into the theater with coming to America style African shirts.

Crowd only laughed at the vegetarian joke. Groaned at "colonialist".

That's crappy, I've seen a few people here say the same thing. I thought the character was smooth as shit in CW and was looking for a great movie. Can't all be top tier though, even a marvel 6/10 is better than a lot of movies.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Best part of the movie: anything with Gollum. Everything else: meh.
And they fucked that up: RIP Gollum.
White token Bilbo totally misplaced.
Clearly made for African audience only... Music too noisy and annoying for me, woudn't trade Western civilization for any African craphole (no offense) no matter how super rich it is, accent became quickly annoying.
Not a bad movie, but clearly not a 98% RT movie. F**k our spineless society.

• 1Picard

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
For those saying it was "too dark", did you see it in 3D? I saw it in 2D, and my theater must have just changed the bulb on the projector cuz when it'd flash the sun the shit was blindingly bright. Only scenes that were dark were when they were underground without any artificial lighting.

The tribal fight at the end was decidedly bright as fuck, too . Also, fuck stupid armored super-rhinos. Killing Claw was also a mistake, and he should have been the primary villain, then we could have avoided the cheesy fight between two black "penthers" (as their fake accents made it sound).

Also, it doesn't take place entirely in Africa. The first third of the movie is in South Korea. Also Oakland, CA, and London.

Last edited: