Black Panther (2018)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
daaaaaaaaaaamn, gina
Thats the work of shanaynay.

I just dont get how people continue to turn their brains off at this stuff anymore. No one else annoyed how serious these movies try to themselves yet how comically unlogical they are?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Thats the work of shanaynay.

I just dont get how people continue to turn their brains off at this stuff anymore. No one else annoyed how serious these movies try to themselves yet how comically unlogical they are?

Lol. I think that ship sailed when the Nolan Batman Movies didn't tank for exactly this reason. Those flicks are still the definition of pretentious stick-up-your-ass seriousness applied to hilariously illogical nonsense.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Didn't really read thread. Black Panther was officially created by 2 white dudes during the comic/marvel pseudo-blacksploitation period. Suddenly in 2018 is an icon for civil rights, and inspiration for black youth

What the fuck.

• 11Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
It was good. High second tier/bottom first tier.

Rhino's were dumb and CGI was terrible.

The thing I don't get is they basically say outside of fictional Wakanda with meteorite metal, that black civilization has failed. I don't quite get the celebration of this movie for them.

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mandriana

Just saw the movie, enjoyed it, decent enough Marvel movie.

One thing that was running through my mind... Will the hordes of SJW's and the Wakanda forever LARP'ing inventors, take to heart the whole message about the importance of positive masculine father figures, self-reliance, and excelling in STEM fields?

P.S. T'challa's sister should totally be the new Iron-Man when RDJ retires from the role, that would be so woke.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm

ax1V5Bb_460s.jpg

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just saw the movie, enjoyed it, decent enough Marvel movie.

One thing that was running through my mind... Will the hordes of SJW's and the Wakanda forever LARP'ing inventors, take to heart the whole message about the importance of positive masculine father figures, self-reliance, and excelling in STEM fields?

P.S. T'challa's sister should totally be the new Iron-Man when RDJ retires from the role, that would be so woke.

No... it's only a good thing if you have enough minority / oppression points to pay for the cost of the trait. Otherwise your just a shit lord oppressing people. Or something.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
T'challa's sister should totally be the new Iron-Man when RDJ retires from the role, that would be so woke.
I think that happened in the comics? Except it was a sociopath SJW. I found T'Challa's sister mostly belivable since they portrayed her as a scrawny nerd. She also did lose to Killmonger so shes no Mary Sue. Same class privilage with her education that Tony Stark had I expect!

Personally I'd only want to see Warmachine take over if someone takes over Ironman. It's gotta be someone from Ironman's story. Having Peter Parker as Iron Spider in that role could be cool too.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Saw it today. 6-7/10. Slightly above average movie.

1. What the heck? So they drink the "heart shaped herb" and they get the power of Black Panther, which they stated gives them superhuman powers, but then can be defeated, or almost defeated, by regular humans? I promise you Captain America could have beat the shit out of both of those bad guys.
2. Interesting take on Africa... They have a valuable resource and all fight over it, and kill their own people...
3. Killmonger would have been a great ally later on. MBJ is a great actor.
4. The general (bald lady) was fucking awesome, and his sister was awesome. The cast was all really enjoyable.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Frequenting a bar near a local theater I hear a lot of folks come in after this movie thoroughly pleased, but apparently everyone I've talked to about it before they saw it walked out with a fairly negative opinion. When you call out the clearly offensive bullshit that hasn't really been present in any previous Marvel film apparently alters their ability to enjoy it.

Spoilered for length and...spoilers...
Jordan "sneakers" that aren't used outside that one scene, white racism with the "colonialist" "jokes" while their entire army is a group of spear chuckers, the dichotomy of ideals - BP wants to remain isolationist, post WW1 pre WW2 America style, and the bad guy's objectives to give weapons to his "people" like a black Nazi fascist, and the absolutely absurd comment about being buried at sea like he had any idea what that was like especially being a post grad at MIT and a SEAL operative. "Muh privileges and oppression", fucking really.

It's almost relatable to what's going on in South Africa. Doing what America was doing before the Emancipation Proclamation or giving poc's overpowered weapons like a fuckin Hydra agent, yeah, guess no one is really better than anyone else.

At least Iron Man was smart enough to know "nah, bitch, this tech is *mine*, copy it and I'll make something better to counter it", and only shares pieces with people he trusts, like Rhodes or Parker, or Fury and Shield (but then fails monumentally by not discovering the infiltration of Hydra into Shield).

BP sharing his tech with the rest of the world still doesn't make sense, even if he's sharing it with the entire world or the most organized entities like the UN. I like how in IM3 the affects of an alien invasion on Tony in that film, but BP? With all of their secret operatives, didn't develop a plan to protect themselves and the planet that we all live on assuming they fully knew of the invasion and had done nothing, "You're apart of this world!" Kinna felt similarly about Doctor Strange and the Sorcerer Supreme, but I guess you can only plan across so many movies and have so many references.

If I look at BP as a standalone, it's still a poor movie. The villain has stupid ideals, but the rage made sense, BP dealing with the sins of the father was an interesting plot device, BP's visions taking him to the African savannah, but Killmonger? Nope, your vision takes you back to Oakland, though that scene was still his best. The action was dumb and very poorly choreographed. They killed Klaue. The CGI was poor in a lot of action scenes. The train dampeners was lame. When someone compared this to Lion King, I couldn't disagree with it. I like Michonne even if she didn't stand up for her people until the last minute, and I liked Shuri as a character, even with her dumb lines. Martin Freeman basically being placed on the back burner and silenced the whole film, but having the critical role of stopping the transport of illicit arms... Oh, and fuck those stupid rhinos.

I've definitely over thought this film to try and figure out why it irritates me, and it's mostly for the same reason as Iron Man 3 and Thor Dark World. The characters make blatantly stupid decisions, the hero isn't a hero, the villain has exceptionally poor rationalizations, and the weak utilization of the sins of the father trope. And that I really wanted to thoroughly enjoy this movie, especially after what a fuckin phenom BP was in Civil War, his lines were all amazing. Here, in his own film, he's relegated to a background character. Sad face.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
$111M second week, second best all time, and eight better than Avengers. Almost certainly will be the highest grossing comic book film of all time. That just blows my mind.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
$111M second week, second best all time, and eight better than Avengers. Almost certainly will be the highest grossing comic book film of all time. That just blows my mind.
And racism will be defeated. All blacks will now live in Wakanda ala The Matrix.

• 1Worf

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This movie had a lot of indirect hype pushing it. It only had to be somewhat decent to capture it. This was genius on Disney/Marvel's part pushing just as much Infinity War as they have BP. People wanted something from Marvel to hold them over until May, not to mention if there was a chance BP dropped anything leading up to IW (which it didn't really). People wanted to see the Soul Gem, Winter Solider (maybe a nod to Cap), and a little more of BP, Wakanda, etc backstory so it was a perfect storm for BP. The only thing BP had to do was not suck.

It was a good movie. Thought the story was solid, Serkis was great, MBJ solid, and several good supporting actors. Nice taste of Marvel before IW... so bring it on. :)

• 2Solidarity

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Can anyone please explain:

Black Panther has superhuman strength, because he drinks the stupid potion. How come as soon as he drinks the potion, he has the strength, then he is challenged (by the guy from the other tribe, then by Creed) and they are fucking just as strong if not stronger??

• 1Picard