Black Panther (2018)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Can anyone please explain:

Black Panther has superhuman strength, because he drinks the stupid potion. How come as soon as he drinks the potion, he has the strength, then he is challenged (by the guy from the other tribe, then by Creed) and they are fucking just as strong if not stronger??

You have it backwards. Drinking the liquid takes away the power of the Black Panther. When he fought M'Baku and Human Torch in the waterfall fights, they were all de-powered. After knocking him off the waterfall, Human Torch was fed the raw flower which imbued him with the power of Black Panther (after a short hallucination/dream), then they fed BP's corpse the last flower and he got his power back, too.

The whole point of that was so that they'd be on level ground when fighting for the chair.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You have it backwards. Drinking the liquid takes away the power of the Black Panther. When he fought M'Baku and Human Torch in the waterfall fights, they were all de-powered. After knocking him off the waterfall, Human Torch was fed the raw flower which imbued him with the power of Black Panther (after a short hallucination/dream), then they fed BP's corpse the last flower and he got his power back, too.

The whole point of that was so that they'd be on level ground when fighting for the chair.

Oh shit, I got that totally wrong. Thank you! Makes more sense now.

• 1Solidarity

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I thought it was pretty solid. I think the first throne room scene with Erik single-handedly brought the whole movie down a couple spots for me, it felt like it should have been 10 minutes long but instead it was just random yelling and glossing over basically every major moral and social question that the movie had raised so far in favor of... not talking as much? I dunno. It was a crucial point of the story and they just floundered it hard, and the characterization and everything else suffered for it. They never addressed the two different factions of warriors that ended up fighting either, although it's somewhat decipherable but there was no development, just suddenly happened.

The characters themselves were all great, though. Mostly the movie was great. I think those things bugged me so much because it builds itself up and then just forgets what it is trying to do.

Didn't really read thread. Black Panther was officially created by 2 white dudes during the comic/marvel pseudo-blacksploitation period. Suddenly in 2018 is an icon for civil rights, and inspiration for black youth

What the fuck.

I'm not crazy familiar with the comics but it's only "suddenly" if you ignore like 40 years of development and writing in the comics. If you compare any comic character volume 1 to the movie you they are not going to add up a lot of the time.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Didn't really read thread. Black Panther was officially created by 2 white dudes during the comic/marvel pseudo-blacksploitation period. Suddenly in 2018 is an icon for civil rights, and inspiration for black youth

What the fuck.

Curious. Almost as weird as Evangelicals and other value voters falling for a thrice married hucksters who likes golden showers from Russian hookers, fiscal hawks falling for a guy pushing the deficit over a trillion, rural working poor falling for a guy stealing their health care to bolster hedge funds and his Goldman Sachs cronies, anti-DC swamp hawks falling for a guy that immediately hires his whole family, etc.., etc.., etc.. etc..

:)

• 6Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Can anyone please explain:

Black Panther has superhuman strength, because he drinks the stupid potion. How come as soon as he drinks the potion, he has the strength, then he is challenged (by the guy from the other tribe, then by Creed) and they are fucking just as strong if not stronger??
The other guy had gorilla blood and Creed is Wakandan-American. Harambe Strength and Ghetto Training trumps any dumbass Kangz potion.

• 3Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Curious. Almost as weird as Evangelicals and other value voters falling for a thrice married hucksters who likes golden showers from Russian hookers, fiscal hawks falling for a guy pushing the deficit over a trillion, rural working poor falling for a guy stealing their health care to bolster hedge funds and his Goldman Sachs cronies, anti-DC swamp hawks falling for a guy that immediately hires his whole family, etc.., etc.., etc.. etc..

:)
Or aryan ubermenschen letting three million subhumans into their country to impregnate their sisters.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Spoildered for length.

Screenshot_20180227-172113.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
#wakandaforever is getting trolled w/ this
a9pA7pK_700b.jpg

every other reply

• 10Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
How did people miss the removing of powers before ritual combat plot point :/

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
How did people miss the removing of powers before ritual combat plot point :/

Or the guy flat out saying every time before the fight I take from you the powers of the black panther. I am not sure how much more blatant they could make that they were depowering him so it would be a fair fight.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Or the guy flat out saying every time before the fight I take from you the powers of the black panther. I am not sure how much more blatant they could make that they were depowering him so it would be a fair fight.
I thought a huge positive point of the movie was that T'Challa, while a great fighter, found it so difficult to win ritual combat and actually lost once (nearly lost both).

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

I missed it. Don't forget this was a movie that was heavily populated by black people in theaters. So naturally the one a seat over from me had his cell phone light on to help him see his sliders while he was eating, and the two elderly black grandmothers that couldn't find their assigned seats were standing right next to me talking, and they also pulled out their cell phone light (after struggling and talking), and even shined the light in my eyes twice without apologizing "We trying to find our seats!" Haha, and I'm not even exaggerating. So I did miss some at the beginning.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Saw it yesterday. Pretty good but the guy playing Black Panther was boring as shit. His sister and Andy Serkis totally stole the show. The costume design was definitely top notch.

The whole time I'm just thinking "you know, this is why monarchies suck."

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I missed it. Don't forget this was a movie that was heavily populated by black people in theaters. So naturally the one a seat over from me had his cell phone light on to help him see his sliders while he was eating, and the two elderly black grandmothers that couldn't find their assigned seats were standing right next to me talking, and they also pulled out their cell phone light (after struggling and talking), and even shined the light in my eyes twice without apologizing "We trying to find our seats!" Haha, and I'm not even exaggerating. So I did miss some at the beginning.

Ahhh, the things I don't miss.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
6/10 Movie wasn't very good, not really worth going into the details on. I only really wanted to see it so that I wasn't missing anything going into Infinity War, probably wasn't even worth it for that.

I did appreciate the Tim Hardaway reference at the beginning of the movie when Killmonger was balling with his homies on the streets of Oaktown, back when the Warriors were still in the dark ages. They should have had one of the kids at the end wearing a Steph jersey. As he brought the Warriors franchise into a period of enlightenment, T'Challa was now going to bring the entire world into a period of enlightenment, starting in Oakland.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Maybe a 7/10 for me. Highlights had nothing to do with the story, which was just ok, but had dumb moments like the tribes fighting each other and then being "no hard feelings bro" 10 minutes later. Soundtrack, geographical visuals, and the 3 female characters closest to T'Challa were the highlight. Funny how this is all about black people being empowered or some shit, but its far more of a women empowerment movie.
And Lupita Nyong'o is a fucking smokeshow, holy geez.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users