Blade and Soul - Kung Fu Korea - Action MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I made it to 30 on my Blade Master, I stopped when Nightcrawler came out on Marvel Heroes, but he's 60 now so will probably get back to this soon.

While the questing is on rails, the combat and movement is so awesome that I don't really give a crap about the questing, the fact that I can't read it may have something to do with it too.
smile.png

The combat system is really fun, the combos are cool and the animation are spectacular. While the game isn't particularly hard...I'm starting to feel at 25+ that my lack of understanding of the abilities, skill trees, gear and stats, some of the game systems and the high ping is starting to affect my efficiency somewhat.

Be careful at 15-17 or so when you get costume with the "Faction" Tag on them if you use the english patch. These flag you for pvp, which you may want or not...I found that there is a lot of respawn point camping in PVP.
Indeed, if you wear a Faction suit (any of them), the opposing Faction can attack you wherever you are, even in towns or dungeons. Ping does start to matter for BM's the higher you get, especially 36+ (the lvl36 epic dungeons endboss will wipe the party if your group can't interrupt his wtfpwnyou attack in time).

I wouldn't try to PvP a local either, they will usually smoke you due to the latency difference, unless they are bad. Fun thing about BM's, they have a nice 3sec block skill, which allows them to fire off a quick attack after a block...but this can happen without using the main block skill. Whenever a BM parrys an attack (you can hear the "ting" sound of a parry), they can fire off that instant attack...can be quite fun.

I stuck with Destroyer, even though I could not use the spam attack combo that low latency players could. The class is pretty tough, and has a simple set of skills, while a KFM has many options in how to counter attacks.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I installed the english patch and it does help a lot with the interface. However, one big area still missing is the skill translations. The dojo forums have some translated screenshots of the skill trees.

There are a few unofficial english servers. I rolled on ???? - ???? which seemed to have a large english community (and more importantly the lowest ping for me). The server thread over on the dojo forums has a good summary of which are the active english servers:

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topi...ist-version-2/
I thought the quests were the biggest thing along with the skills, unless mine just didn't translate them.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just watched a video claiming to be the last mission in the game. Probably major spoilers, but for a story I won't understand anyways.

This game won't hit the west. Kid murderers, suicides, naked women. The parent organizations of the west would collectively flip tables no matter if the game gets a M rating. Themes are much too mature for the censoring of the west, no matter if they imported the censored version from China.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought the quests were the biggest thing along with the skills, unless mine just didn't translate them.
Quest translations are not really needed, they are all mostly standard fetch or kill quests. You'll run across some that have you get items to use on mobs, which can be difficult to figure out. The Wiki link at those Dojo Forums have most of the class skills translated, or at worst MMOSite forums have them as well.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
got it, yeah sadly this game isn't gonna come to NA I guess best we can hope for is a sick translation eventually.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
got it, yeah sadly this game isn't gonna come to NA I guess best we can hope for is a sick translation eventually.
It will be here, eventually. From what I have read in NC Soft's investor relations documents and heard in the public meetings (both of which are available on their website in English translations), NC Soft's strategy is pretty clear. Once you understand it, their decisions seem to be a lot less random:

1. They think the console and mobile market is flat. You wont see them enter into it any time soon. They feel the best / most growing market is in Online Games. You will find this view is very different from most U.S. companies because most U.S. companies are more focused on the U.S. and these statements aren't as true in the U.S. as they are globally.

2. NC Soft believes that the fastest growing global markets for online games is Eastern Europe and China. They particularly feel that China has huge untapped potential for online games.

3. NC Soft believes that you should develop products for each of the major markets, rather than try to develop one super project for the world. Of the products in development, Wildstar is being developed to compete with WoW in the U.S. It is a specific play for the U.S. and I don't think that NC Soft expects it to be a huge global hit. Blade and Soul was specifically developed to cater to the Chinese market. It didn't release there because (1) Koreans made it and (2) they wanted to hit the Chinese market with a very polished product. In one investor conference, NC Soft specifically said that Blade and Soul was going to do very well in China and was developed for that purpose.

Bottom line, they probably don't think it will do as well in the U.S. for some reason, so its not a priority getting it out here. That said, U.S. is a huge market and I expect all future NC Soft titles to release here.

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Just watched a video claiming to be the last mission in the game. Probably major spoilers, but for a story I won't understand anyways.

This game won't hit the west. Kid murderers, suicides, naked women. The parent organizations of the west would collectively flip tables no matter if the game gets a M rating. Themes are much too mature for the censoring of the west, no matter if they imported the censored version from China.

eh it's not actually that bad and you never see anything on the naked chick. I think the only thing they would censor is anything that looks like pedophilia(aka probably censor that little people race). Otherwise violence and sexuality is fine. There's no nudity and I don't really see any excessive gore, so a pretty easy M rating.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
is there battle grounds or is this only 1v1 / 3v3 and open world?
No BG's, but with PvP dailies that have good rewards, there are areas which can be seen as BG's.

Pretty sure B&S would do quite well here in NA, drawing a sizable local audience and many from Europe / Oceanica / South America. It is no worse than Tera in portraying ladies in skimpy outfits, and even less so if you compare the Lynn to Tera's Elin. The main Story quest is a bit darker though, and more epic. There is quite a bit more to the Story after the events of the video posted above, but China hasn't caught up to Korea yet. And yea, B&S is insanely popular in China right now, Tencent (the publisher there) has said there has been over a million players online concurrently. Rather impressive since while I was playing their servers never crashed.

The biggest problem NCSoft would have in releasing here in NA is game content, and the grind needed to level up weapons / accessories. They would be wise to only release in NA once they have all content up to the lvl50 cap, including Tower of Mushin, and then try to tweak the leveling grind for gear somehow. Hopefully I'll get to play a KFM with 30ms latency before I die. =)

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
No BG's, but with PvP dailies that have good rewards, there are areas which can be seen as BG's.

Pretty sure B&S would do quite well here in NA, drawing a sizable local audience and many from Europe / Oceanica / South America. It is no worse than Tera in portraying ladies in skimpy outfits, and even less so if you compare the Lynn to Tera's Elin. The main Story quest is a bit darker though, and more epic. There is quite a bit more to the Story after the events of the video posted above, but China hasn't caught up to Korea yet. And yea, B&S is insanely popular in China right now, Tencent (the publisher there) has said there has been over a million players online concurrently. Rather impressive since while I was playing their servers never crashed.

The biggest problem NCSoft would have in releasing here in NA is game content, and the grind needed to level up weapons / accessories. They would be wise to only release in NA once they have all content up to the lvl50 cap, including Tower of Mushin, and then try to tweak the leveling grind for gear somehow. Hopefully I'll get to play a KFM with 30ms latency before I die. =)
so 3v3 is basically it for any type of arena or bg instanced pvp got it, yeah someone was explaining to me the bg zones it seemed really interesting just hit 12 cant wait to hit 30 I guess that's when it gets interesting.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
I updated the first post with some of the information that was given in the thread, and listed a server with good ping in the US to be the "main" server for the FOH crew. If you reply to this post with your in game name on that server, I will add it to the list. Maybe we can get a guild going?

Also looking for a link/guide to a decensor patch that someone has successfully installed.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
im on that server as fayth I found a group of about 10 americans that I joined up with, they have a pretty good knowledge of the game up to about lvl 36 id be down for a FOH guild we can grab these guys.

Parallel45

Silver Knight of the Realm
Might want to include the subserver as well (unless i missed it). In the dojo thread, the ???? server seems to have the most interest.

Also, Summoner class is crazy OP.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
B&S is really fun, but I can't really recommend the foreign versions for any sort of long term play. I played the chinese version up to about level 22, and then quit when I realized that the ping issues would just end up annoying me more and more as time went on. It's a shame that the game has been so delayed for a US release, because it really does have the best overall combat of any MMO released thus far.