Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yea dude the theater I watched this at was fucking LOUD. Like close to ear damage loud. More than a few people sitting in the back by the speakers got up and left.

I don't know if it was just the movie or what. Never had any problems like that before and I've been using that theater my whole life.

One of the biggest things keeping me out of theaters. Literally breaks my brain how loud some of these movies are nowdays. I think it's a combo of sometimes it's just someone fucking up the volume nob in the theatre and the studies telling them to crank it for shock and awe value.

That said I'm going to see this tomorrow looking forward to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Take earplugs man. Just give into your old age. Hike your pants up to your armpits, wear socks with sandals, and take earplugs to the movies.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Take earplugs man. Just give into your old age. Hike your pants up to your armpits, wear socks with sandals, and take earplugs to the movies.

I've been meaning to get a pair of those concerts ear plugs (like semi-ear plugs just to lower not block sound) for the movies. Too lazy though.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
tucgsm4s8jrz.jpg

Ryan Gosling wrote the baseline testing scene

I loved that baseline test scene. Apparently the original baseline test scenes had another blade runner conducting a newer VK test with two armed guards in the room. That antiseptic version felt more lived-in and "production mode".

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I loved that baseline test scene. Apparently the original baseline test scenes had another blade runner conducting a newer VK test with two armed guards in the room. That antiseptic version felt more lived-in and "production mode".

I liked those scenes a lot to. It was semi unnerving just as a spectator.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
I realized as well the movie gives definitive proof the hooker is a replicant: after sex, she picks up the horse and immediately looks at the bottom for the date. On first viewing that doesn't really mean much to us, but afterwards or on second everything immediately clicks and it explains a lot of things beyond just that moment. Its amazing no one ever vomits out an explanation scene about that kind of thing, as viewers we have to kind of connect the dots in that, about the bubble girl, how sentient Joi is, what Wallace's plans for the universe are, and a bunch of other things.

I was a bit down on the movie after my first watching but after thinking about a lot of the scenes and themes I definitely appreciate the film a LOT more now. I do wish the director had stuck to 2 hours for theatrical release, would have helped with $$ I think. But just thinking about Luv having tears in some scenes, never explained, and possibly debating about what it means (could talk about it for hours) is just a small thing on why the movie brings up a lot of great sci fi ideas in extremely subtle ways and never hits you over the head with explanations.

I'll probably go see the movie a third and final time in IMAX next week.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Luv crying as she watched Wallace, or crying as as she retrieved the bones or crying in her scene with Claire Underwood is the most understated thing about Luv and K's generation of replicants---problem is you kinda needed to see Luke Scott's short film to understand that Luv has NO CHOICE but to sit there and comply while Wallace essentially murders a baby or she's forced to commit heinous shit: Wallace managed to get the replicant prohibition repealed by promising that future replicants would be absolutely obedient.

But since they'd still be mostly human, he apparently managed that by just inhibiting their ability to intervene---not their capacity for empathy---which is utterly monstrous.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's because the "Wallace Tone" from his emanator chimed up and she realized he was married to his Joi AI. Who's an AI Hologram.

If you watch it again she's doing what Freysa tells her to do (finding out what he knows), even after her friend realizes K is a Blade Runner, but it's not until the Wallace chime plays that she realizes he's a Joi user and she says "Oh---you don't like real girls".... by which she didn't mean HUMAN girls, she meant PHYSICAL girls.

Thank you for that. That's something that was bothering me. I didn't notice the Wallace chime during that scene but now what she says makes sense and doesn't contradict her being revealed as a replicant later.

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The only cheesy part is the 'revolution'.

Agree with this. Seems like they threw that in for a possible "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" type sequel which would probably be stupid.

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've been meaning to get a pair of those concerts ear plugs (like semi-ear plugs just to lower not block sound) for the movies. Too lazy though.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Got a link? All earplugs just lower sound. Usually between 25 - 33 dB attenuation. I don't think there are any capable of actually blocking 100% of sound. Technically earplugs are adjustable too. Sometimes i'm wearing them and it kills a little too much noise, so I partially pull them out.

If i get something fancy for the movies i might get something electronic that blocks anything over a certain dB. Problem is all of those I've seen also amplify and i don't need that.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Got a link? All earplugs just lower sound. Usually between 25 - 33 dB attenuation. I don't think there are any capable of actually blocking 100% of sound. Technically earplugs are adjustable too. Sometimes i'm wearing them and it kills a little too much noise, so I partially pull them out.

If i get something fancy for the movies i might get something electronic that blocks anything over a certain dB. Problem is all of those I've seen also amplify and i don't need that.

Our Products

Something like this. I think they are designed a little different than normal earplugs to keep as much quality fidelity as possible vs getting muffled sound. Or maybe it's the same shit and i'm buying into the marketing, but at 25 bucks it's not really a huge rip off risk.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I loved this movie. Watched the HD version today in a nearly empty theater. The visuals, music, themes, and storyline were all really well done. I was completely immersed.

I do not know if I would have enjoyed how long the film was if my theater wasn't so empty and comfortable. But, despite it lasting nearly 3 hours, I was disappointed that it was over.

Favorite scene.
That they managed to make me feel sad for Joi's death, even though I initially was worried she was just going to be a poorly implemented love interest/cat he can talk to.
Scene I hated the most
When all the replicants walked into the room when it is revealed that he is not the one.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
*clenches fist* /duke nukem accent

those motherfuckers are gonna pay for jackin up my volume

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ya the volume was completely retarded. I wonder if it's a theater industry thing to try to differentiate going to the theater from home, since so many people just say fuck it and stay home to watch movies now. If so it's backfiring on me. It's a specific reason we go to see less movies (among a few others).

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really enjoyed this movie. Easily the best movie of the year. The pacing was wonderful. Yes the movie was long, but it was so nice watching a movie that did not rush anything. All of the little details with the story and the effects were damn near perfect. If I were to nitpick, the music was kind of a disappointment. I considered the music as one of the strengths of the original movie and was kind of surprised at how this movie did not rework more of the original music in. However, that did make the final scene that much more enjoyable with the music track that was played.

All about that BASE!!!! I got a great back massage watching this movie as the base was unreal.

I did miss the self dialogue that Harrison Ford had in the first movie but understood why that would not have worked with this one. This movie really can make a person think about what AI would mean and what we are as well.

If you loved the original, I HIGHLY recommend this movie. That said, it can still a wonderful movie without having enjoyed the first one.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I've finally reached that old man status where if I'm not seeing a movie under a massive screen, with upgraded audio, and recliners and distance in between the people next to me, I don't wanna go see it. I watched It Comes At Night at the local AMC in the mall, in one of their small theaters... never again. If it's not at the Angelika/Alamo Drafthouses/the really nice AMCs, I don't wanna waste my money.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Gonna go again with a friend this week and he suggested going for AMC's discount Tuesday for a 3D matinee so it ends up being like 8 bucks. It seems like there are a few setpieces that were constructed for 3D, but both times I've seen it, it wasn't in 3D.

Anyone catch it in 3D or know if it's more than DOF/parallax halfass 3D? I imagine all the flyby's and the cityscape holograms would be cool in 3D.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
cinematographer says dont see it in 3d
Roger Deakins Thinks Seeing ‘Blade Runner 2049’ in 3D is Not a Good Idea
“A problem I have with some viewing systems is their use of silvered screens,” he said of the 3D format. “The image projected on a silvered screen lacks saturation as well as density as it falls off from a hot spot in the center of vision. This may not be so apparent for someone sitting in the optimum viewing seat but it is a compromise in terms of image quality wherever you are seated, though it maybe a compromise worth accepting if you are a fan of 3D.”

• 1Like