Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this at a Dolby Cinema and it was epic. Everything about this movie was on point. Wasn't a big fan of the first one but this had me hooked.

Yeah, some people have been complaining about audio. I watched this in a Dolby Cinema at AMC as well, sounded fantastic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea dude the theater I watched this at was fucking LOUD. Like close to ear damage loud. More than a few people sitting in the back by the speakers got up and left.

I don't know if it was just the movie or what. Never had any problems like that before and I've been using that theater my whole life.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yea dude the theater I watched this at was fucking LOUD. Like close to ear damage loud. More than a few people sitting in the back by the speakers got up and left.

I don't know if it was just the movie or what. Never had any problems like that before and I've been using that theater my whole life.

The only time the sound was obnoxious, is when killer bot lady was blowing shit up with missiles. Other than that, there were a few moments of heavy bass from the music that would rattle the entire theater, fortunately the Drafthouse has solid sound and acoustics, so it was OK. Can't even imagine how punishing it would have been at an IMAX. Curious to see how it'll sound at home with my Dolby Atmos setup.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse here in KC which actually tends to be on the loud side (fucking Antman was a little difficult to sit through at times), but they toned it down or something and it was spot-on for this.

Someone mentioned earlier about Replicants not aging proving Deckard is a human, but that's actually proven false (or unreliable) in this exact movie. Freysa is shown in the photo as a younger 30s-something and then met current time clearly aged. It's possible that some Replicants don't age, especially if their lifespan is set super short, but "indefinite" lifespan doesn't seem to mean "ageless" in the case of many of them. So by that measure at least, Deckard could be either still.

One thing that bugged me about the rebellion is that it seems... kind of short sighted. They don't actually have a way of making more of themselves right now, the one known case of it working resulted in the mother's death and the secret was lost. They should actually want Wallace to succeed in reproducing the technology first, unless they plan on becoming super scientists and sorting it out themselves. If they succeed in convincing everyone they're more than just bio-robots that seems unlikely to result in much of a victory considering it means the sole reason for making them right now, slave labor / pleasure / whatever you need, is gone and so is the money with it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Luv was the Roy Batty of this movie. She's the ACTUAL revolutionary---the one who does the grunt work and stoicly muddles through her servitude with tears flowing even as her entire body compels her to watch or act against her own interests. The most subversive lines the film were spoken by Luv to Claire Underwood.

Plus she's grown on me.... trying to get the wife to rock those brunette bangs as we speak.

tNqr9S8.jpg

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Luv was the Roy Batty of this movie. She's the ACTUAL revolutionary---the one who does the grunt work and stoicly muddles through her servitude with tears flowing even as her entire body compels her to watch or act against her own interests. The most subversive lines the film were spoken by Luv to Claire Underwood.

Plus she's grown on me.... trying to get the wife to rock those brunette bangs as we speak.

tNqr9S8.jpg

Luv > Ryan Gosling > Dave Bautista

It makes sense, hide the deadliest replicant in the shell of a disarming, attractive woman.

Most any other movie the idea of Ryan Gosling being capable of beating up Dave Bautista would annoy me greatly.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Did I miss there being a reason K was so fucking tough? He easily overpowered Bautisa, which was fine, he's a new model or something. But he runs through walls and judging by the ending fight with Angel he's far, far stronger than her, which seemed kind of odd given she had to be whatever the latest tech was?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Did I miss there being a reason K was so fucking tough? He easily overpowered Bautisa, which was fine, he's a new model or something. But he runs through walls and judging by the ending fight with Angel he's far, far stronger than her, which seemed kind of odd given she had to be whatever the latest tech was?

The same reason fuck face outswims his genetically superior brother in GATTACA. The power of will. Nothing new there.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On my second viewing, as a shitlord with a berglord sense of humor I'm going to shout "LOUD NOISES" at the top of my lungs when that scene comes on.

The audio mixing is all kinds fucked up. I know nothing about it, I just know the theaters weren't ready to show this "as-is". Someone screwed up. Its ridiculously fucking loud. I should bring a fucking airhorn and Donald Trump the movie anytime the mixing is obviously borked and hope some important shotcalling Jew happens to be in the crowd and takes note.

If it goes to Blu-Ray in that condition, I feel bad for luxury apartment communities nation wide. And yes if I was 10 years younger I'd bring that fucking airhorn goddamnit.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist

One of the things the sequel showed was that there are multiple replicant manufacturers in the market. There were ads for labor replicants and in the scene where K is chilling outside the replicant brothel, we see a couple different vendors of sex replicants including the rollergirl one and the Russian "Soviet Happy" giant ballerina holograms for the GARBAGE-TIER fuck droids. In fact when we first meet Luv, she's talking about how Wallace can custom-build a client's entire workforce and could include a couple pleasure models before her meeting is interrupted.

I'm guessing the LAPD gets a boosted/militarized replicant for their services, kinda like how Ford supercharges those Interceptor SUVs for use as police cruisers.

Though Sapper Morton was a full-blown military replicant, later in the movie Freysa tells K that Sapper "let him kill him" to protect their secret---though it certainly did look like K wasn't faring all that well early in the fight.

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

If I remember the series of events during that fight she initially fucked him up, and instead of finishing him off, she intentionally walked away, figure that Gosling as a Blade Runner, must have been given more than usual capacities, to do his job. Enough to contend with her, but apparently not enough to outright win, he did get the jump on her at the end.

• 1Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist
Luv > Ryan Gosling > Dave Bautista
Sapper didn't get enough screentime to judge, but he set the film's overall tone that sacrifice-IS-humanity within the first few minutes of the movie REALLY well. That's the distinguishing arc of the movie that improves on the philosophical challenge of the original: When Deckard screams "I KNOW WHAT'S REAL" he's unspooling everything he's distilled from his unique perspective in the human-replicant context of the BR films. That the PLATFORM doesn't matter---that the agency matters more than the agent.

There's a scene in the film where three synthetic beings have sex and I thought my wife and her sister would think it was silly---but after the movie I asked them what they thought and my sister-in-law said it was the most real part of the movie. I realized that was the intent! Here were three fake humans and yet the only genuinely human thing in the scene was the affection the wife felt for her husband. That's what Deckard meant.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thought the one hooker girl was "real"? "I guess you don't like real girls." Or whatever.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I'm pretty sure she is supposed to be a replicant too, and real girl is more in the context of AI and virtual vs flesh and blood. One of the shorts does have a real human helping the resistance (the 2022 blackout anime) but the movie and shorts heavily imply few humans view replicants as anything other than tools to be used, so it'd be kinda weird for a hooker to be human, plus wouldn't they be creeped out if a replicant wanted to fuck them?

There weren't many scenes with a lot of real people around, so I kind of wonder how populated Earth is in 2049. Ready Player One by contrast shows an extremely overcrowded world, but all that empty LA/San Diego land in 2049 implies to me a huge population shift off world, but then again you have that orphan thing...

One of the podcasts I listen to goes into a long episode on 2049, only listened to half but it was pretty interesting. The more I hear other people talk about the movie the more I like it, and feel kinda sad that it didn't do great in the box office. I'm glad at my local IMAX theaters its still showing for at least one more week, might see it for a third and final time (before blu rays) in theaters. I really wish they had made a 2h theatrical cut and a 3h directors home cut, I think it would have helped out a lot with $$.
#219: Blade Runner 2049

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I thought the hooker was human as well. When she first met him and he seemed disinterested in her advances she guessed "You don't like real girls".

khorum

Murder Apologist
I thought the hooker was human as well. When she first met him and he seemed disinterested in her advances she guessed "You don't like real girls".
That's because the "Wallace Tone" from his emanator chimed up and she realized he was married to his Joi AI. Who's an AI Hologram.

If you watch it again she's doing what Freysa tells her to do (finding out what he knows), even after her friend realizes K is a Blade Runner, but it's not until the Wallace chime plays that she realizes he's a Joi user and she says "Oh---you don't like real girls".... by which she didn't mean HUMAN girls, she meant PHYSICAL girls.

• 2Like