BLESS

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like every 2-faction mmo ever made...? Starting with WoW? You've mentioned this "free open pvp" thing several times, like you've never seen it before. Was something like BDO your first mmo?
Yea, go play BDO and pvp at will and see how you like that karma system. :rolleyes:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yea, go play BDO and pvp at will and see how you like that karma system. :rolleyes:
That's what he's saying though? BDO had limited PvP, but free PvP isn't really new especially in faction mmos and you'd only think so if BDO was your first mmo.

WoW, as PvE centric as it was, let you kill anybody that was PvP flagged on the other faction, which was everyone past 25(newbie zones were safezones though, unless people just recalled from a pvp area then you could kill them). See Hillsbrad wars or STV ganking parties. And that shit isn't even all that much if you compare to old FFA systems like they had in AC and EQ, where you could literally attack everyone else that wasn't in your guild. Then a lot of games since wow had free pvp, Rift, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Wildstar etc. Generally, it's korean games that have shitty karma systems for PKing because they don't have pvp/pve separate rulesets so they allow pvp with harsh penalties, like UO did back in the days(well harsher than original penalties, more like Trammel stuff). Even TERA had free pvp, although you did get penalties for killing lowbies but you could kill everyone around your level with no repercussions. Aion too as far as I remember but that was a long time ago.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's what he's saying though? BDO had limited PvP, but free PvP isn't really new especially in faction mmos and you'd only think so if BDO was your first mmo.

WoW, as PvE centric as it was, let you kill anybody that was PvP flagged on the other faction, which was everyone past 25(newbie zones were safezones though, unless people just recalled from a pvp area then you could kill them). See Hillsbrad wars or STV ganking parties. And that shit isn't even all that much if you compare to old FFA systems like they had in AC and EQ, where you could literally attack everyone else that wasn't in your guild. Then a lot of games since wow had free pvp, Rift, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Wildstar etc. Generally, it's korean games that have shitty karma systems for PKing because they don't have pvp/pve separate rulesets so they allow pvp with harsh penalties, like UO did back in the days(well harsher than original penalties, more like Trammel stuff). Even TERA had free pvp, although you did get penalties for killing lowbies but you could kill everyone around your level with no repercussions. Aion too as far as I remember but that was a long time ago.
Did some of you misunderstand what I said though? I wasn't saying Bless had an amazing, new style of pvp at all. I said it had the most open pvp of a game I am playing... as in playing right now; which for mmo's is BDO / Bless. Yes, tons of other games have some sort of pvp system in there, and some of those are open pvp without penalties, and some do have restrictions.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well, UO had penalties for PVP. And the closest thing to factions/free pvp was that pick a side, wear the shield thing they added later.

Oh, did it have penalties? It's been so long I don't really remember, I just remember I used to sit in my house naked with a GM katana with deadly poison and run out and kill people as they ran by when I wasn't doing anything else.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh, did it have penalties? It's been so long I don't really remember, I just remember I used to sit in my house naked with a GM katana with deadly poison and run out and kill people as they ran by when I wasn't doing anything else.
It had the murderer system where if you killed enough people you'd turn red and get edgy titles like The Dark Lord, which early on had limited penalties(couldn't enter towns so you had to use bucaneer's den and people could put bounties on you). Then they added the rep system and you lost a bunch of stats if you died as a red so you had to remacro your char and it was pretty expensive especially for annoying skills like magic resist. And then they added Trammel which prevented you from attacking anyone that was in Trammel(pve only areas basically).

In many ways, UO had systems that are similar to many of what the korean games do, with karma systems and what not, where you can in theory kill whoever you want but there's pretty harsh penalties to prevent you from just killing everyone constantly.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Thank god for Siege Perilous. That shard had none of those murderer penalties except for being KoS in towns, yet maintained a good red-to-blue ratio (although with a smaller population).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thank god for Siege Perilous. That shard had none of those murderer penalties except for being KoS in towns, yet maintained a good red-to-blue ratio (although with a smaller population).
Well yeah originally that's how UO was and most private servers seeked to emulate that period of time rather than the garbage that came after.

Even during the rep period it was still fine though, sure you'd take stats loss on death as a murderer but it could be macroed back overnight/in 2 days generally other than magic resist(and especially if you played a dex monkey which was a lot easier to macro back than casters), and the rep system was abusable to force people to get themselves flagged criminals(grey) so you could kill them without repercussions. Shit like summoning a blade vortex then having it guard a door in a dungeon, so whenever someone used the door, the game flagged it as a criminal act against you and you could kill them(and yeah that's retarded as fuck, but that was UO in a nutshell, just fucking retarded decisions). You could also steal from people which wasn't wasn't as bad as killing people in terms of rep hit, and then hope people would attack you so you could kill them in "self defense". Or just run away with their regs anyway. Stealing was pretty fun in UO since you had to snoop in their bags directly and people would trap their bags and stack them on top of each other to make it hard to find the right ones.

And obviously you had like 1-2hours before DAILY maintenances that weren't saved so you could just murder people freely, although you wouldn't keep the gear.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I want Vanguards FFA server back. It was a buggy mess, but, hotdamn, no safe zones at all, Level 7 and everybody could kill you. Cities were giant murderfests. It was awsome.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I want Vanguards FFA server back. It was a buggy mess, but, hotdamn, no safe zones at all, Level 7 and everybody could kill you. Cities were giant murderfests. It was awsome.
Yeah I played that for a while too. Lots of speedhackers though, fuckers could catch my 400+%movespeed song bard(or whatever the class was that had songs, I think it was bard, but with daggers/shortswords?).

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
All kinds of hackers. Not only speed hackers, but invulerable/immune to CC hackers.. And non hacking unbalancedness such as druids and sorcs ability to 1 shot everyone, invis making you lose target on someone even if you could see invis so you had to macro the person you're trying to kill's name into a target macro and spam it during combat if they were a bard/had a bard in their group. PvP was fun in vanguard for a while, but the unbalanced brokeness and hacking is what drove me away.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
All kinds of hackers. Not only speed hackers, but invulerable/immune to CC hackers.. And non hacking unbalancedness such as druids and sorcs ability to 1 shot everyone, invis making you lose target on someone even if you could see invis so you had to macro the person you're trying to kill's name into a target macro and spam it during combat if they were a bard/had a bard in their group. PvP was fun in vanguard for a while, but the unbalanced brokeness and hacking is what drove me away.
Yeah I used that invis song shit to kill people. I had forgotten about druid 1hour solar beam or whatever that was a one shot. Sorcs iirc were kinda shit so not many people played them and their one shot was high lvl or whatever so didn't get to see it as much.

But yeah it was mostly broken garbage. I mean they couldn't even balance the pve properly, so no way they were going to balance the pvp. Then again the same is true for most games, especially in non controlled environments like arenas. Shit tends to be broken as fuck, not balanced for 1vs1 or gear plays too much of an impact and it's mostly about ganking people and making them rage than actually a battle of skill and wits.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
lol makes sense why they took forever to fix shit.. too busy making this for xbox while soaking up money from their intended failure of a game with half content. too bad

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they can make the game run smooth on Xbox, better than Tera at least, it should do alright.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
i mean getting the game running smooth i had no issue i modified my cfg from day 1, most people were upset bout the hackers and the crazy grind and the lack of content release as promised, not to mention mascu rangers dodge roll 1/4th of the distance a panthera ranger dodge rolls, other stupid crap like that. all bugs from previous regions that were fixed but not carried over.