Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
You know Microsoft will push them to make WoW 2. I feel like that's a no brainer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We look at ABK from the perspective of Blizzard, but MSFT doesn't. They bought them for King's money printing racket and CoD:Warzone. The blizz stuff was just icing on the cake, especially since the pending litigation drove the price down.
That's not how the press releases are looking. Microsoft Xbox team put the big Blizzard brands out front in the press.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Clueless, old man Microsoft thinks they are buying the best game company that just got a recent black eye with the bad press...

Reality? The company has been dead for 10 years and they have bled most all of their loyal customers. I kind of feel bad for MS, lol. Bobby Kucktick wins again.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Maybe they will finally drop daily engagement metrics for WoW and it can go back to a normal fucking MMO. Blows my mind they still havent figured that out considering classic and tbc classic are keeping the game afloat

• 1Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This is probably over-generalizing but honestly don't think this is the best thing for WoW. MMO's have shown that not just anyone can make or understand them. Suits and big money people focus on the wrong aspects of the game. Typically the best MMO's have been driven by folks working on passion projects. Everquest was made by a group of Table-top gamers. WoW was guided by the people who played EQ. Valheim (though not a MMO but feels like one more than modern MMOs) was made by 5 guys. Business guys can crank out big name titles but not necessarily good MMOs. While I'm curious where this goes, I'm not very excited about with the exception of hoping that if the environment was truly that horrid that it improves under new leadership. I've always thought Phil Spencer seemed like a decent enough guy but we'll see.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Reality? The company has been dead for 10 years and they have bled most all of their loyal customers. I kind of feel bad for MS, lol. Bobby Kucktick wins again

The IP alone are worth quite a bit.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
These are from internal Microsoft videos. They are massively taken over by woke. Blizzard wont get fixed but hopefully the let other devs make games with the IPs

• 5Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But they haven't even had a Moon Expansion!
Fuckin' amateurs.

They should even break the old joke about how players would get there back in the day. Steam powered Gnomish rocket ships!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The IP alone are worth quite a bit.
This. They will likely be smart enough to start pushing the IPs into various media. Watch us get some animated WoW tv show next year.

Overall wont be a positive for WoW the game. Theyre gonna squeeze that dying cow(and other avbi IPs) even harder for money to pay for the cost of acquiring them.

• 2Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Glad that the folks there will still have jobs like Holly Longdale, Jonathan Caraker, and others.
But damn, I can't help but see this as a move for maintaining the status quo and preventing unionization. Whether that's a good thing is yet to be seen, but now we'll never know.

Most expensive union busting move ever. Vote unlikely to pass now that they're under Microsoft's rule. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Microsoft seems to be listening with Halo's monetization and has otherwise a great game. I'd love to see some cross-pollination with passionate studios like 343 with Blizzard IPs.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Glad that the folks there will still have jobs like Holly Longdale, Jonathan Caraker, and others.
But damn, I can't help but see this as a move for maintaining the status quo and preventing unionization. Whether that's a good thing is yet to be seen, but now we'll never know.

Most expensive union busting move ever. Vote unlikely to pass now that they're under Microsoft's rule. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Microsoft seems to be listening with Halo's monetization and has otherwise a great game. I'd love to see some cross-pollination with passionate studios like 343 with Blizzard IPs.

Why do employees in 2022 need a union? Are there workers being forced to work or dying on the job?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was really hoping Daybreak would buy Blizzard at the bottom. Maximum lulz have been prevented

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
S Secrets I know you're hopeful for it and all but Game Dev Union ain't never going to happen.

It would deliberately strengthen all the useless people in game dev who don't actually contribute in the hard technical aspects of creating or designing the product.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL at you guys tinking that this was all about WOW. This is all about purchasing the biggest and most famous game of all time CALL OF DUTY. Blizzard was just a nice side dish.

• 8Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah. For WoW and Blizzard, Tencent might have been better. They’ve been mostly hands off on GGG and PoE. (Mostly…)

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
As far as that goes MS hasn't been too intrusive with their games developers either. If anything they've been too hands off considering how a lot of their tentpole IPs like Halo have been underwhelming. Even their big acquisitions like Obsidian were given very long leashes to make whatever they want without pressure to monetize day-1 DLCs or lootboxes.

Between Age of Empires taking their sweet time and Halo stumbling over the last decade, you wouldn't blame MS for taking a heavier hand with their devs but that hasn't been the case. That could change with WoW and CoD but the most likely direction would be towards xbox exclusivity and mobile clients.

• 1Like