Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That would cut into my pay when I'm working. Lot of engineers (not computer science) will not even walk 30 feet from the office to talk to someone in the shop for 5 minutes, even though the shop is air conditioned. It's beneath them. See it all the time. One engineer literally laughed and said that's why he got an engineering degree so he didn't have to go to places like that and talk to the people in the shop. Jokes on him, I used to sign his check.

The blue collar/white collar divide is a huge one in this country and no one is talking about it. Specifically, as you mentioned, the white collar service workers who have never truly worked a day in their lives that look down on people that make everything service workers do possible. Make that fucking engineer lay his own goddamn fiber lines that make his internet work for a day. He would kiss the crew's feet when they told him he could go back and sit at his desk. Fuck him and everyone like him. This is coming from a sales person whose hardest physical job was McDonalds. I understand and appreciate how vital blue collar work is to our way of life.

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The blue collar/white collar divide is a huge one in this country and no one is talking about it. Specifically, as you mentioned, the white collar service workers who have never truly worked a day in their lives that look down on people that make everything service workers do possible. Make that fucking engineer lay his own goddamn fiber lines that make his internet work for a day. He would kiss the crew's feet when they told him he could go back and sit at his desk. Fuck him and everyone like him. This is coming from a sales person whose hardest physical job was McDonalds. I understand and appreciate how vital blue collar work is to our way of life.
Mike Rowe announced as 2022 Voices of Vision Speaker

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah people do tend to look down on blue collar shit, and trades too like they are some second class citizens. But a close look at those people will show you they make the shit around us fucking work. Without them Ted the office worker would have to get a little dirty fixing his toilet that does not work right.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
They don't even understand how it feels to do something. I installed two access points in my house over the weekend so a total of 6 screws and 6 drywall anchors. It took me more time than I care to admit because I don't do this sort of shit; also, anyone would have pointed out that the stock drywall anchors in the package fucking suck and I should have gone to Home Depot and gotten some good ones...but live and learn.

The point is that I cannot tell you of any sale I'm super proud of or remember from the last few months but every time I look at those fucking APs I think to myself 'those things are hanging there because of me and not someone else.' It is the least important and easiest thing to do on the fucking planet, but my whole being takes pride in that simple thing. I often wonder how much more satisfied white collar workers would be if they did something as simple as change their own oil every three months.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love when these threads take a nosedive. Channel your energy into things you can control and you will be a lot happier.

Back to Microsoft and the pros cons.

I am not surprised Microsoft swooped them up. I am surprised that Amazon didn’t.

Imagine if Amazon and Twitch got ahold of all of the usage data of everyone’s favorite games dating back to 2000. They would have retention data and millions of a/b tests for a large portion of the gaming population. Also whay they could do to integrate Twitch + Activision + Prime + Prime Video + MGM long term.

They could get even fancier with their investment in Rivian and pop games pre-loaded into EV trucks if they really wanted to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
That would cut into my pay when I'm working. Lot of engineers (not computer science) will not even walk 30 feet from the office to talk to someone in the shop for 5 minutes, even though the shop is air conditioned. It's beneath them. See it all the time. One engineer literally laughed and said that's why he got an engineering degree so he didn't have to go to places like that and talk to the people in the shop. Jokes on him, I used to sign his check.
This is 100% accurate. I work in the chemical refinery industry. Some of these engineers especially (new grads) think we process technicians are beneath them until they find out we make twice their yearly salary even working minimal overtime

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They don't even understand how it feels to do something. I installed two access points in my house over the weekend so a total of 6 screws and 6 drywall anchors. It took me more time than I care to admit because I don't do this sort of shit; also, anyone would have pointed out that the stock drywall anchors in the package fucking suck and I should have gone to Home Depot and gotten some good ones...but live and learn.

The point is that I cannot tell you of any sale I'm super proud of or remember from the last few months but every time I look at those fucking APs I think to myself 'those things are hanging there because of me and not someone else.' It is the least important and easiest thing to do on the fucking planet, but my whole being takes pride in that simple thing. I often wonder how much more satisfied white collar workers would be if they did something as simple as change their own oil every three months.
Not to fucking pat myself on the back but ive been doing shit like this since I bought my first house at 23. Some of the shit I lerned being around gramps when younger and helping him and some you just look up on the net or in a book. I have done flooring, fixed leaky pipes, stripped the entire hard wood floor of my current house with a sander (1500 sq ft?) and refinished it, installed tile floors, tons of electric work (which is the most tricky shit) and much more. I was always a cheap ass and never wanted to pay for the shit, so I did it myself.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I heard you morons make the same arguement about EQ. In today's world IPs are worth about jack and shit.
They have to be fleshed out and built up, but brands are a thing when it comes to IP. Shit, even EQ could become a great IP even now if they found a good writer to wrangle the story back to something coherent and epic like it was up to PoP.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah people do tend to look down on blue collar shit, and trades too like they are some second class citizens. But a close look at those people will show you they make the shit around us fucking work. Without them Ted the office worker would have to get a little dirty fixing his toilet that does not work right.
The worst are people with pointless liberal arts degrees. Art, literature, music. They spent 4 years writing 5 page book reports and they think it makes them smart and cultured, but the reality is they have no skill and no knowledge and a pile of student loans that it takes them 25 years to pay off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They have to be fleshed out and built up, but brands are a thing when it comes to IP. Shit, even EQ could become a great IP even now if they found a good writer to wrangle the story back to something coherent and epic like it was up to PoP.
There was a story in EQ?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There was a story in EQ?
Yes, go ask the prince in PoG about 'phat lewtz'. But up to PoP there was a pretty decent back drop that was built up from that very first opening cinematic. Each xpac explored various parts of the pantheon and the origins of various people and places.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Subway is evil? The employee can quit and find another job at any time; and anyone working in those conditions would do just that.

Anyone making over 30k at a white collar desk job needs to be required to work as a farmhand, garbage man, or yard maintenance for a week every year just to remind them how fucking lucky they are to do what they do.

People that think they need a union to stop companies from taking advantage of you need to grow a spine and develop an ounce of common sense.
Subway is just an example because Im friends with the guy that was doing it. Surprise, surprise, now hes having trouble filling the positions across many of his stores.

Also, some legislation has already passed.

Under the final rule that was effective on Jan. 1, the minimum salary requirement for exempt workers increased from $455 per week to $684 per week, which is equivalent to earning an annual salary of $35,568. To qualify as an exempt employee, you must be paid at least $684 per week and meet the duties tests.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I used to joke that when you were putting on a roof, the roof didn't email you at 8pm with an emergency. There was satisfaction in building something, but also in having your day actually end when the sun went down. Problem is, it's hell on your body. My boss told me early on, "Don't be doing this shit in your 40s if you can help it". He owned the place, but still put in as much work as everyone else and his body was shot as a result. This shit ain't new though, Office Space was talking about it already in the 90s.

I am not surprised Microsoft swooped them up. I am surprised that Amazon didn’t.
It's odd how Amazon keeps trying but is having a hard time finding success in doing what other people are doing. With regards to Prime Video, gaming, etc that is. AWS and the store are still the titans of their respective categories. I guess they should have bid $69,000,000.01.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Reminds me of that chapter in World War Z where they talk about trying to rebuild the west coast and all the trades people basically become the new top earning kings of society and a lot of white collar workers have to do manual labor because they have no valuable skills in that situation- like there is a line about a guy being the best contract writer in America, but because no one needs legal contracts at the moment, he needs to help dig ditches

• 4Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You know what would have been hilarious is if Bobby let all the Bliz-bois unionize only for MS to make this purchase and fire them all. The shitstorm that would have resulted could of been amazing. Missed opportunity Bobbo.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not to fucking pat myself on the back but ive been doing shit like this since I bought my first house at 23. Some of the shit I lerned being around gramps when younger and helping him and some you just look up on the net or in a book. I have done flooring, fixed leaky pipes, stripped the entire hard wood floor of my current house with a sander (1500 sq ft?) and refinished it, installed tile floors, tons of electric work (which is the most tricky shit) and much more. I was always a cheap ass and never wanted to pay for the shit, so I did it myself.

When I was young my dad decided to put some additions onto the small house we had. Ended up taking ~13 some years, but house went from like 1300 to 6700 sqft, indoor pool, 3 car garage, etc. Aside from the occasional contractor, my dad did all that shit basically by himself. I really wish my ass paid more attention to all that construction process, plumbing, electric etc. so I could use that on a house of my own one day.

I did a lot of flashlight and ladder holding back then but these days I really wish I’d gotten more into it and actually helped him build some of that out. Lately I’ve really had the urge to just build a fun project with my dad together and I worry a lot that there might not be much time left to have that opportunity. I’m finally getting my own house this summer and have some ideas of little projects I’d like to add onto it, so maybe I can finally get that chance and he can give me some tips and maybe a hand building some shit like a cat tree or two on my eventually patio or the bar and theatre room were making in the basement.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Been working on a new plant startup. We had a major crash. Lines plugged everywhere. I’m a 21 years experienced engineer. It’s Saturday morning at 6:45am outdoors week after Christmas and the shift engineer did a double take when I told him to quit gawking and start picking up pipe and instruments with the operators as mechanics broke bolts loose. I have never in my life shown up for shutdown or shift work not prepared to get dirty as an engineer. Your job at that point is to make sure those guys have water, parts, hands whatever if you’re not actively doing drawings or doing check out with another group of operators. He had about 10 years plant experience so he must just be a dick of that magnitude.

• 3Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The people I know still playing Classic are giving the acquisition news zero thought other than “Huh…that’s interesting. So are you coming back for Black Temple?”

I think most are just going through some sort of midlife crisis and Classic dulls the pain with the warm embrace of nostalgia.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users