Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1594491408519.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Temporary systems were their answer to feature bloat. They were very open about the fact that you can't just keep adding new abilities to a class expansion after expansion or you end up like EQ2, needing a pipe organ to play. Around WoD they started playing around with modifiers to existing abilities and by Legion just went all in on the artifact. I don't even think the problem is all the weird systems with their interactions, part of the charm of an MMO is that your class can change patch to patch or expansion to expansion and you have to learn new things. The main problem is that all of the systems have terrible shitty mobile time gaps on them, which makes it a real pain in the ass to invest in for something that is 'temporary' and will be clearly thrown out at the end of the xpac.

Legion was fun because you could easily switch over to another class and play some of the low hanging fruit of the class storylines / artifact. If the systems didn't require such a time sink or really annoying RNG (legion legendaries / corruption powers), I don't think they would be as poorly received.

This is the correct answer, however there were some they should have kept. Inscription worked they just needed to have one for every ability that were all generally good but changed gameplay styles instead of like MS damage +5% but could only choose 3. Yea you could min max it but if they were all close 1-2% then it could have worked. I REALLY liked reforging, they should have kept that as well

Chris

Potato del Grande
The lesson of FF14 is that you can absolutely have almost no systems in your game and people will play it for the fun story/dungeons/raids/grinds.

So why is WoW doing it?

If WoW had a handful of well selected, well designed systems (eg Jewelcrafting and Enchanting), FF14 would compare very poorly. And it DID compare poorly for this reason back when I first played it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I REALLY liked reforging, they should have kept that as well
How about instead of reforging, items had less stats hardcoded and more sockets or gems gave more stats?

Same effect but now it's on a profession and in the economy (instead of a weird vendor) AND you don't have two systems handling the same thing with stat customisation? You can even have gems in your bags and equip the item right away if you win it in a raid.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I feel for the weebs in FF14. All these wow people coming in, soaking up stream viewers and going like "who that fuck is that!?" during the story. Meanwhile they just were hiding in their little game enjoying being big shots in their fandom.

They're like the comic guy who is dealing with regular people during a Marvel post credits scene.

"Ackshually, that's Adam Warlock! He is..."
SHUT UP NERD, NO ONE CARES. NORMAL PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHIT NOW. GET LOST.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
FF is super snooze, the world seems so god dam bland and I’ve tried to play it multiple times. Don’t get me wrong wow is boring as sin too but the zones even when empty don’t seem as bleak and boring as the ones in FF. Sure it may have good story but just not interested 😂

• 1Moron
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Sure it may have good story but just not interested 😂
That's the problem, it doesn't. These weeb pillow hunters want you to belief it's some grandiose "triumph" in MMO/RPG storytelling, when it's really just typical, anime dogshit. There is good anime/Japanese storytelling out there - it ain't in FF14.

MMOs are just destined to have shit stories, average at best. Accept that what makes MMOs addicting has ZERO to do with story and everything to do with socialization and that sweet, sweet griiiiiiiiiiind!

• 3Moron
  • 2Salty
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
That's the problem, it doesn't. These weeb pillow hunters want you to belief it's some grandiose "triumph" in MMO/RPG storytelling, when it's really just typical, anime dogshit. There is good anime/Japanese storytelling out there - it ain't in FF14.

MMOs are just destined to have shit stories, average at best. Accept that what makes MMOs addicting has ZERO to do with story and everything to do with socialization and that sweet, sweet griiiiiiiiiiind!
FFXIV is an RPG with MMO socialization elements.

WoW is a proper MMORPG.

They're both good in their own rights.

Play both if you really want both types of gameplay.

Cybsled

Who gives a fuck what they want to play. I have yet to see a positive opinion from any of them on any type of media unless it’s from the 90s or earlier

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande

Endwalker has the most profound story in gaming history. It's just gated behind all the other expansions and specifically A Realm Reborn which is not a good story - though it is paid off later.

If you can mix the ARR MSQ with levelling multiple classes and doing side content, you'll have a good experience.

FF14 is very much a great single player RPG and an great MMO stapled together, that combo doesn't totally work and can be offputting for people who are in it just for the MMO. Think of it as unlocking the MMO content by playing through the story.

FFXIV is an RPG with MMO socialization elements.

WoW is a proper MMORPG.

They're both good in their own rights.

Play both if you really want both types of gameplay.
You underestimate the MMO part of FF14 and overestimate the MMO part of WoW. WoW doesn't even have player housing you can make gay bars and brothels in.

• 1Slow
  • 1GreNeg
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Endwalker has the most profound story in gaming history. It's just gated behind all the other expansions and specifically A Realm Reborn which is not a good story - though it is paid off later.

If you can mix the ARR MSQ with levelling multiple classes and doing side content, you'll have a good experience.

FF14 is very much a great single player RPG and an great MMO stapled together, that combo doesn't totally work and can be offputting for people who are in it just for the MMO. Think of it as unlocking the MMO content by playing through the story.

You underestimate the MMO part of FF14 and overestimate the MMO part of WoW. WoW doesn't even have player housing you can make gay bars and brothels in.

You bring up ff14 every post. We get it. Catgirls and shit.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
ROFL sure it does buddy, sure it does.

Delusional, weeb sunken cost fallacy in action, folks.
I played Heavensward for three months years ago and disliked the endgame, then played Stormblood for one month two or three years ago and disliked the story.

I had no sunken cost going into Shadowbringers and Endwalker which I pretty much played together starting last summer.

Meanwhile I probably have over a year /played in WoW which has literally the worst story in gaming history with Shadowlands.

I don't know what you are talking about.

• 1GreNeg

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I played Heavensward for three months years ago and disliked the endgame, then played Stormblood for one month two or three years ago and disliked the story.

I had no sunken cost going into Shadowbringers and Endwalker which I pretty much played together starting last summer.

Meanwhile I probably have over a year /played in WoW which has literally the worst story in gaming history with Shadowlands.

I don't know what you are talking about.
You seem to think I believe WoW has a good story, rofl. Warcraft has been a shit story dating all the way back to WC2. Diablo is about the only franchise Blizzard had that was even a tad bit compelling from a "lore" standpoint and they fucked that all off with D3.

MMO stories are straight ass and you're a retard if you think that weeb, cliched horseshit in FF14 is anywhere CLOSE to shit like Planescape: Torment when it comes to video game storytelling.

• 1Moron
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
You seem to think I believe WoW has a good story, rofl. Warcraft has been a shit story dating all the way back to WC2. Diablo is about the only franchise Blizzard had that was even a tad bit compelling from a "lore" standpoint and they fucked that all off with D3.

MMO stories are straight ass and you're a retard if you think that weeb, cliched horseshit in FF14 is anywhere CLOSE to shit like Planescape: Torment when it comes to video game storytelling.
No I'm pointing out where my sunk cost fallacy would actually be targeted (at WoW).

Not played Planescape but Endwalker's story is better than Baldur's Gate 2's story and I rate that very highly because I got that winged elf pregnant.

• 1GreNeg

xmod2

<Gold Donor>

Shit. I enjoyed Shadowbringers and Endwalker (mainly the Ascian / Emet-Selch shit). I'd rank it up there with FF6 or Chrono Trigger in terms of affect. Are you saying that I'm some kind of closeted weeb now? Is that kind of shit common in anime? I haven't watched any anime since Vampire Hunter D cause I didn't want to look gay.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Shit. I enjoyed Shadowbringers and Endwalker (mainly the Ascian / Emet-Selch shit). I'd rank it up there with FF6 or Chrono Trigger in terms of affect. Are you saying that I'm some kind of closeted weeb now? Is that kind of shit common in anime? I haven't watched any anime since Vampire Hunter D cause I didn't want to look gay.
90% of what happens in FF14 are typical, anime cliches I'd say, yeah. And you might not be full weeb, but you've definitely taken a few gateway drugs. I'd quit cold turkey if I were you.

• 1Salty
  • 1Moron

Goonsquad Officer
You monster!