Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You bring up ff14 every post. We get it. Catgirls and shit.

Hell I enjoyed the game it was fun. But I have to wonder if chris is some unofficial spokesman, he brings up it so often.

And we all know kirun and others secretly have waifu pillows at home, they just have to act tough on the internet. You don't try so hard to distance yourself from something for nothing.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hell I enjoyed the game it was fun. But I have to wonder if chris is some unofficial spokesman, he brings up it so often.

And we all know kirun and others secretly have waifu pillows at home, they just have to act tough on the internet. You don't try so hard to distance yourself from something for nothing.
Distance myself from what? I've said there is good anime/Japanese storytelling out there. In fact, it's one of the few, mostly "non-woke" pieces of entertainment out there. But you can also enjoy/like those without it consuming you so heavily you become a total weeb (look at Chris' and others' avatars on these forums FFS)

FF14 just doesn't have a good story. Sorry that rustles your jimmies, but those are the facts. Just because one expansion had some good moments doesn't invalidate all the absolutely horrid, cliched weeb bullshit that preceded it.

• 1Moron
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
he brings up it so often.
It's the MMO subforum. If I bothered to post in here it would probably be the only thing I'd talk about too unless you wanted to hear me reminisce about WotLK raiding, or my Cata alt army.

He does wildly exaggerate how good the Endwalkers story is, I personally think Shadowbringers was a lot better. I do consider ShB the best story ever written for an MMO, but that's a low bar to get over because MMO stories are pretty low effort.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No system has been added,
They usually have one side system per expansion. 2.X has the hunting logs, 3.X had the Grand Companies squad (which I expected to be extended to 70, given that Grand Companies are still heavily involved at least in the Ala Mhigo story, so your squad should have been mobilized there as well, but no, its only up to 60), you get Shared FATEs introduced in Shadowbringers...

(I think the original exploration zone got in 4.X?)

But they keep the core gameplay loop clean. Aside for story aspects, if you liked 2.0, you like 6.0 and vice-versa.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
They usually have one side system per expansion. 2.X has the hunting logs, 3.X had the Grand Companies squad (which I expected to be extended to 70, given that Grand Companies are still heavily involved at least in the Ala Mhigo story, so your squad should have been mobilized there as well, but no, its only up to 60), you get Shared FATEs introduced in Shadowbringers...

But they keep the core gameplay loop clean. Aside for story aspects, if you liked 2.0, you like 6.0 and vice-versa.

Squads got replaced with the Trust system, which is better in every way

Chris

Potato del Grande

Well I'm more talking about player power systems, but NPC party and currency from world quests are solid additions.

You can see the iteration like Chysamere said, levelling your random squad from 1-60 became levelling story NPCs 70-80 and just preset levels for story NPCS 80-90. I've recently engaged with all 3 versions while levelling alts and the preset is better, levelling up a party 1-60 wasn't that compelling actually and actually a big barrier from 70-80.

Compare to mission table in WoW WoD and they made it worse for BFA when they dropped garrisons then added the annoying battle mechanics for Shadowlands... it's not getting better and it isn't even a system that should be in an MMO because you don't "play" it, it's a fucking menu. They could have put that effort and rewards into iterating pet battles which are pretty good actualy.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
The interesting thing about the command missions (and FF14 systems in general) is that you level them up and utilize them across multiple jobs on the same character. Doing daily training / missions levels them up as well, but having a 'free group' of NPCs to level alts is pretty nice. It takes a decent amount of investment, but it's not as painful because you get tangible benefits on your alts while doing it, and you know you won't have to do it over and over for each character.

Goonsquad Officer
Just about everything involving Thordan in Heavensward.
The analogue for the pope set in a european style gothic city who presided over a theocracy that was clearly supposed to be the catholic church was a weeb item to you?

his tolkien elven bastard sonwho had to hide it due to rules of nobility in the european style which lead to estrangement and uprising?

when he later takes all his knightst and turns them into king arthor and the knights of the round table? that was in the weeb catagory?

normal folks cite the second half of stormblood because it's in asia. or all the nodding everyone does (because it's a japaneese manerism that they put in the game). or some of hte more over the top animations on classes.

i used to cite rediculous outfits as being weeby elements but when i started to make that arguemente back in the day, some one pointed out axe head shoulders and helmets in wow so i stopped.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Goonsquad Officer
The interesting thing about the command missions (and FF14 systems in general) is that you level them up and utilize them across multiple jobs on the same character. Doing daily training / missions levels them up as well, but having a 'free group' of NPCs to level alts is pretty nice. It takes a decent amount of investment, but it's not as painful because you get tangible benefits on your alts while doing it, and you know you won't have to do it over and over for each character.
the command missions are pretty wild. they start obnoxious but if you keep at it (and diligently farm lols) you can level up your dudes and make them pure offense and suddenly they do kills so fast that it becomes literally the fastest way to level like..what...22-55?

So you do it one time, and then it becomes the most viable way to level...what...16 classes to that level.

I really wish the new trust system let you power-spec people into pure offense so you could melt dungeons, but they didn't like that it was faster than real groups so that's understandable.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The analogue for the pope set in a european style gothic city who presided over a theocracy that was clearly supposed to be the catholic church was a weeb item to you?

his tolkien elven bastard sonwho had to hide it due to rules of nobility in the european style which lead to estrangement and uprising?

when he later takes all his knightst and turns them into king arthor and the knights of the round table? that was in the weeb catagory?
When reasoning with these people, you have to keep in mind that WoW lost half of it's players because of "Kung Fu Panda" when it was probably the best overall expansion.

Yes all of Chinese culture is analogous to a children's cartoon.

Oh and don't forget that they all came back for the start of the homoerotic muscle orc expansion.

So I'm not surprised that something that is clearly based on European culture is "weeb shit".

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As usual Blizzard is late to the party for a genre that was previously on fire. It's all about BR's now not survival games.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Survival games have a pretty bad track record of not being very good.. pass.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Survival games have a pretty bad track record of not being very good.. pass.

Valhiem and even conan exiles was fun and a blast(not much lasting power in those games though because you have to wait for more content). Surely blizzard and its hundreds if not thousands can do better then the what, 5 man team of valheim?

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There's a huge opportunity in survival. Every single one that is out is filled with jank. Blizzard historically is very polished when it comes to interface, movement, feel.

Do they still have the talent to make it? Survival is all about dealing with bad data for collision, pathing etc. Your data comes from the players as they can build and shape the environment. It's tricky.

Overwatch's collision is not perfect by a longshot and that's in house designed stuff.