Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
its clear he was running the show in their "story group".
First and foremost: I'm not looking to defend Furor here, but my world view on this topic isn't as black/white as yours. I know you partake in some of the more ... charged threads in the political sec... spectrum here on this board, so:

Again, from the article: "I've found that sometimes that can be challenging when you're trying to land a story, but it also makes a story that much better. We don't have Yes Men and Yes Women in our story rooms. It's more like, 'can we make it better, I need to challenge that?'"

If Furor really made everyone in that room submit, then he was probably a gigachad. My theory is that he was abrasive, polarizing and had no qualms butting heads with people, and that a lot of people on the more sensitive end of the spectrum at Blizzard disliked him for exactly that, and were really glad he was gone.

Now, did the snowflakes at Blizzard collude to either set a trap for him on sexual harassment charges, or outright fabricate those to oust the old guard? We may never now, but from what we heard from other famous people (like Linus Torvalds) it can't be completely ruled out. Have you ever heard the statement "no bad tactics, only bad targets?" Look at Blizzard now and what happened once the new people thought they have the upper hand: fruit bowls, because clearly that's important when you have one content patch per year.

And on Furor running the story room: Was the Legion expansion a story shitshow? Bringing back Illidan was an obvious attempt to bring back a fan favorite, but the whole "I am my scars" plus "the hunter is nothing without the prey" worked out well in the end, and Sargeras' sword in the planet was a finale that could jumpstart another expansion. If he REALLY made everyone in that room submit, you have to at least give him credit that the story up to the end of Legion made somewhat sense.

So, if your theory is correct and he ran the show there, then Legion proves that he could at least deliver decent work that most players enjoyed. What really happened with BfA we may never know.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

“No negativity” in that type of setting doesn’t mean all smiles and rainbows, it means “bring solutions / improvements”

It’s easy to point out flaws, but without solutions, it isnt always constructive. It’s harder to bring up solutions or improvements to said flaws, but if the idea is sound, you’ll get more support from peers

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean I won't pretend having him as a guild leader let me get to know him the same as working with him in a professional setting, but I can't imagine him getting so attached to a video game character that he'd sabotage the project on purpose for petty revenge. He did have a major blind spot when it came to the competency of long-time friends though.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Before he vanished and Furor was still around on battle.net with legion's release and I asked him something about the idea to make Sylvanas warchief, he said I should just wait regarding Sylvanas as we haven't seen anything yet. All those posts about the simp vs simp rivalry kinda makes even more sense.

If I knew what I know now, i would have thought to ask if there was a scoring system for cubicle crawling.

• 1Moron

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Again, from the article: "I've found that sometimes that can be challenging when you're trying to land a story, but it also makes a story that much better. We don't have Yes Men and Yes Women in our story rooms. It's more like, 'can we make it better, I need to challenge that?'"
“No negativity” in that type of setting doesn’t mean all smiles and rainbows, it means “bring solutions / improvements”
Obviously none of us worked in the story group so we dont know what that meant in practice but considering how long insanely stupid mechanics that have equally simple/easy remedies like the faction system have been in place, id say its clear feedback and constructive criticism are not welcome at Blizzard anywhere. George even says they dont want to be "distracted" by their fans, which is just a nice way of saying were going to ignore our fans.

If Furor really made everyone in that room submit, then he was probably a gigachad. My theory is that he was abrasive, polarizing and had no qualms butting heads with people, and that a lot of people on the more sensitive end of the spectrum at Blizzard disliked him for exactly that, and were really glad he was gone.
Hes only a chad if being an abrasive asshole gets results(wow's narrative being enjoyable), if not hes just an asshole to naturally timid people.
And on Furor running the story room: Was the Legion expansion a story shitshow? Bringing back Illidan was an obvious attempt to bring back a fan favorite, but the whole "I am my scars" plus "the hunter is nothing without the prey" worked out well in the end, and Sargeras' sword in the planet was a finale that could jumpstart another expansion. If he REALLY made everyone in that room submit, you have to at least give him credit that the story up to the end of Legion made somewhat sense.
In a vacuum Id say it would be acceptable(class focus, nordic themes everyone loves, dealing with long established characters), but once you take into account its building off of previous expansions(or should narrative wise) and leads to another it becomes wtf as usual. Illidan was a huge retcon, space goats became even more space goat, an epilogue that was pretty bad and major characters introduced that basically didnt exist in the next expansion(just like with WoD).
Now, did the snowflakes at Blizzard collude to either set a trap for him on sexual harassment charges, or outright fabricate those to oust the old guard? We may never now, but from what we heard from other famous people (like Linus Torvalds) it can't be completely ruled out. Have you ever heard the statement "no bad tactics, only bad targets?" Look at Blizzard now and what happened once the new people thought they have the upper hand: fruit bowls, because clearly that's important when you have one content patch per year.
Oh I agree the bluehairs at Blizzard and the press have completely blown everything about this out of proportion. They act like the guy was raping women when absolutely nothing close to that happened. That doesnt mean though that some seriously unprofessional behavior was occurring that warranted people being fired. You had people stealing women's breastmilk there and no one seemed to care, such creepy degeneracy and the management that ignores it should be dealt with.

IMO at the end of the day no one at Blizzard gave a damn. People running the show knew for the longest time they had a brand that printed money so who cares about anything else. What does it matter if some incompetent like Danasuer is in charge of a major aspect of the game? Were making money regardless. Firing him would just mean having to work and spend money to find a replacement. End result is a bunch of people playing god in their little enclaves perpetually forcing the faction system, bad stories etc. on the player base.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Before he vanished and Furor was still around on battle.net with legion's release and I asked him something about the idea to make Sylvanas warchief, he said I should just wait regarding Sylvanas as we haven't seen anything yet. All those posts about the simp vs simp rivalry kinda makes even more sense.

If I knew what I know now, i would have thought to ask if there was a scoring system for cubicle crawling.
I’d pay big money for a AMA with Furor.

Someone get that boy on the bat phone and make this shit happen.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’ll be honest I’m mostly interested in his experience from being a player to becoming a game designer. Some insights into why certain decisions were made…was it part of the “vision” or more of a business decision to drive revenue? Shit like that.

If we get a couple stories about the office tom foolery that took place then all the better.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I’ll be honest I’m mostly interested in his experience from being a player to becoming a game designer. Some insights into why certain decisions were made…
He used our fucking raids to decide what needed to be nerfed in WotLK. Was the most annoying shit ever.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
He used our fucking raids to decide what needed to be nerfed in WotLK. Was the most annoying shit ever.
That would be an awesome discussion to witness. It would likely devolve into everyone calling each other a faggot.

I’d buy a fucking ticket to that show.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So you had no druids?
Actually I was responsible for a minor druid nerf. There was a talent that made some of your HoTs generate secondary resource, and it generated it fast enough that I could pre-fill his runic power gauge to full before we engaged a boss. He decided that was no good and the talent got gutted. We are also the ones who got Judgement of Light normalized, because our lone ret pally was missing one night for Stormbreaker and we kept wiping to aoe damage because it was like we were short two extra healers with him gone because of how OP ret JoL was.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Actually I was responsible for a minor druid nerf. There was a talent that made some of your HoTs generate secondary resource, and it generated it fast enough that I could pre-fill his runic power gauge to full before we engaged a boss. He decided that was no good and the talent got gutted. We are also the ones who got Judgement of Light normalized, because our lone ret pally was missing one night for Stormbreaker and we kept wiping to aoe damage because it was like we were short two extra healers with him gone because of how OP ret JoL was.

To be fair, at least we could get legit bugs fixed through him, too. Since the bug report features in game and on the forums were useless 99% of the time.

I still remember when cata launched and he didn't like the spawn rate of mining nodes in the first day or two so he tweaked it and they were respawning instantly and claimed it as an accident. So suddenly there were hundreds of people in hyjal flying around gathering as fast as they could.

• 1Dislike

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I mean I won't pretend having him as a guild leader let me get to know him the same as working with him in a professional setting, but I can't imagine him getting so attached to a video game character that he'd sabotage the project on purpose for petty revenge. He did have a major blind spot when it came to the competency of long-time friends though.
FBFC0E7F-FB33-497D-874D-6174FBC092F3.png

Etc.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm calling all of this bullshit, it's just a bad BOF (Blame On Furor) operation and even if he did all those things like fucking Sylvanas he should be praised rather than vilified for the burning of Teldrassil god I have elves so much it's unreal.

• 1Worf