Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Graphics sell, gameplay retains.
At this point in time, there is no one left you could sell WoW to anymore.

You have only former players to advertise to, who just like Mist's friends come in out of nostalgia with rose-tinted glasses, maybe sub for a month and then leave again. In part because the current game is not what they remember, and in part because it is close enough so that it makes them remember why they left in the first place.

The kids think this is a stupid boomer gamer, which is only played in retirement homes, as it can't even be played on their phones.

But when will men be depicted as the malnourished, disease ridden, poorly trained and equipped fodder they where for almost all of history?
Have you not noticed that every male in Shadowlands is either evil, incompetent, or both? Except the token gay. They already started working on the malnourished part:

1644253539503.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Ignoring FFXIV, player housing is a proven means of retaining people in a game, be in FF14, or TESO/Fallout76, or whatever.

You just need to be to robust enough that the player feels like they can be creative, if that is their goal. Overly restrictive housing systems like SWTOR are less appealing.

My concern with WoW is the engine is pretty old and while Garrisons kinda showed what they could maybe do with a housing system, it was still pretty bare bones in terms of housing promise.

I mean Wildstar had a pretty amazing system, "Older" games like EQ2 implemented a system on par with FFXIV without the FUCKING RETARDED AS AIDS housing limitations.

Hell WoW essentially HAD "Housing" in Mists era. All they needed to do was flesh it out. Then they did it again in WoD with garrisons. Their issue is the same with ALL of California Tech, people want job security, so nothing they build is permanent and it all gets trashed every so often so they can rebuild it with green instead of blue trim.

Imagine if they made the MoP farming area, transition into a new location but gain more functions, then casually built housing over 4 expansions, saving and moving your "Houses" progression til they got their final piece in allowing you to modify your "house" in a way similar to EQ2 and FFXIV.

Instead...they fucked off for years, built disposable content and jerked each other off.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
WoW def dropped ball for sure. They could have made some special housing zone that would be expansion agnostic and continued to build shit up instead of these “fuck around for 1 xpac then ignore”

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
WoW def dropped ball for sure. They could have made some special housing zone that would be expansion agnostic and continued to build shit up instead of these “fuck around for 1 xpac then ignore”
Wasnt that essentially what garrisons where?

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wasnt that essentially what garrisons where?

Yes, but they existed in the zones of WoD, so to speak. Even though they were instanced. So from a lore perspective, they feel like it doesn’t make sense. And their design philosophy basically discards prior xpac zones, with rare exceptions

They need a housing zone that exists in some zone that is independent of all expansion zones / basically treated as a vanilla zone, so they can weave it into the Norma gameplay of any xpac.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And their design philosophy basically discards prior xpac zones, with rare exceptions
Well that was what I meant. It was literally there then in typical Blizzard stupidity they completely discarded it after the expansion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Nah, dailies and timegating ruined WoW. Developers who are hellbent on "beating" the playerbase into submitting to their design philosophy ruined WoW.

Garrisons could have been cool, fun and interesting but because of the above they turned into chore house instead of being a fun little mini game on the side. They forced you to participate by combining dailies and character progression into the garrison itself. And then made it so the best way to get gold was also by building multiple garrisons with alts. Then they made it even worse with order halls. When so much power is derived from a singular activity, and that activity isnt even the actual fucking game you're paying to play, that's a colossal failure.

They tried to turn wow into a goddamn Facebook game with the garrison because they got so far up their own ass with how profitable dailies and timesinks ended up being for them.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't know if I would say order halls made it worse. Order halls were one of the best things about Legion for me. But I didn't play until the final patch of Legion, and never messed with WoD when it was current, so my experience may have been vastly different.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Don't know if I would say order halls made it worse. Order halls were one of the best things about Legion for me. But I didn't play until the final patch of Legion, and never messed with WoD when it was current, so my experience may have been vastly different.

I should clarify by saying order halls made passive gold farming even worse, and they added a mobile app to facilitate it

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I should clarify by saying order halls made passive gold farming even worse, and they added a mobile app to facilitate it

Something I probably missed out on coming back to WoW so late in Legion. I was never a big alt guy either. I mainly just liked the different class stories and artifact quests.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Garrisons completely ruined WoW IMO.
Yeah it was a huge misstep to bring shitty timegated mobile game filler menus into a 3D open world game.

The worst thing is they kept the mobile game menus in every expansion after and dropped the player housing part.

Garrisons really showed that they had no idea what they were doing. How you iterate the decent and optional Pandaria farming minigame into that I have no idea.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They probably saw player engagement could be higher on garrisons over farm if they made it more mandatory. Like you pointed out, the MoP farm patch was just a nice bit of optional content that got players logging in frequently just to care for them, so they expanded the net and more or less forced players to do it, but made them happy by showering them with gold so they wouldn’t complain

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Common mistake when you see your customers as cows to be milked vs people to be entertained.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
$150+ million dollar payout to a sociopath CEO, that's not capitalism, that's not even evil capitalism, that's corrupt cronyism and vile technocracy.

• 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users