Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ion has to be gone if they are sacking 10-year senior designers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The WoW Open Beta was November 8th 2004.

I will concede that there was a Closed Beta Stress Test on September 7th 2004, which was still during GoD.

But the point still stands. World of Warcraft did not 'launch' or 'release' during GoD.

View attachment 366731,
i was in an early beta, no candy ass open beta shit either, i was playing in 2003, but i thought i got my invite in late 2002.

• 2Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 2 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Any of those guys legit talented?
This is the crux of the problem: We don't know, we only see their posturing and virtue signaling on Twitter. We don't really know who does what, except for some rare cases.

1629055775856.png

• 1Like

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
As long as we are watching Blizzard die and reliving our memories...

I was in beta on either Test Server 4 or 5. To this day, I can't remember which one it was.

One evening, all the mobs despawned, and nothing respawned. It was like this for at least a half hour. The whole world was empty except for players.

So, the majority of the server created Gnomes with bright green, pink, and red hair, stripped down to their skimpies, and we all marched from Ironforge to Undercity.

It was a massive parade of naked gnomes marching to Undercity. Was the most hilarious thing ever to witness.
Thank goodness you thought to make some screenshots for prosperity. I was in one of the open tests, and have screenshots from 09/02/04 to 09/12/04. I took 201 in that time. Always remember.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Blizzard was an amazing place to work, full of the nicest talentedest and most awesomest people, and people are so thankful they worked there?

WHICH IS IT?
The people saying that are the ones who are leaving AKA people who have had complaints filed against them with HR and were the abusers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard was an amazing place to work, full of the nicest talentedest and most awesomest people, and people are so thankful they worked there?

WHICH IS IT?
A place can be filled with amazing coworkers and completely ruined by terrible management and/or a few assholes in the wrong places.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
A place can be filled with amazing coworkers and completely ruined by terrible management and/or a few assholes in the wrong places.

Yeah, this video really opened my eyes to the culture, which I was oblivious to before all this:

The quotes that stuck w me were, "They hired female managers based on looks" and "By 2016 they had replaced half of their dev managers with females".

Turns out when you hire people for their looks or skin color, you get very little talent.

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I've worked at some places that had great people at my level, and then really shitty people at the top of the food chain. This happens a lot, and it sucks for those good people that work at companies with bad upper management.

• 3Like

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
It happens a lot due to imposter syndrome for those with talent and overconfidence in abilities for people without talent. So the skilled individuals undervalue themselves and don't think they can do a better job at a higher level and don't try to promote. Meanwhile those who are already over their head think they're the solution and push to advance. Advancement is often the difference between making it a priority and not. It is rarely competence.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Developer lead cultures where the developers tell the business yes to everything is a god damn nightmare to the competent people.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Developer lead cultures where the developers tell the business yes to everything is a god damn nightmare to the competent people.
Ah yes. This always reminds me of the first time I had a director who had spent like 15 years as a dev before he moved into management. The dude knew exactly when and how to push back against the business about stupid bullshit. Rather than say yes to every single thing like most shitty/mediocre middle managers do.

• 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, this video really opened my eyes to the culture, which I was oblivious to before all this:

The quotes that stuck w me were, "They hired female managers based on looks" and "By 2016 they had replaced half of their dev managers with females".

Turns out when you hire people for their looks or skin color, you get very little talent.

This right here epitomizes most ALL game companies. Relating to at least one single part: Coming in drunk, fucking around, playing other games all day for "Research" and when they fall behind their milestones complaining of the crunch they PUT THEMSELVES IN; whine like little fucking babies and beg for a union to protect their unproductive bullshit for the last 2 years. The icing on the cake is when these fucks call their customers entitled.

Nuke this entire industry from orbit. It's the only way to be sure - then replace them with people who know how to develop to make less work for themselves during crunch, IE: Don't fuck around for 2 years forcing the last 6 months of development to churn out 17 hour days which was caused by their own bullshit anyway, ultimately leading to shit released product and games that need 54 fucking patches to get stable.

After the culling, 65% of these assholes can pour my Caramel Macchiato for a living and complain I do not tip their sorry ass a dollar for a 6 dollar fucking cup of coffee while they argue why the male got a dollar tip from the last schmuck, and the blue-haired obnoxious female got .50 cents and complains about income disparity.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
This right here epitomizes most ALL game companies. Relating to at least one single part: Coming in drunk, fucking around, playing other games all day for "Research" and when they fall behind their milestones complaining of the crunch they PUT THEMSELVES IN; whine like little fucking babies and beg for a union to protect their unproductive bullshit for the last 2 years. The icing on the cake is when these fucks call their customers entitled.

Nuke this entire industry from orbit. It's the only way to be sure - then replace them with people who know how to develop to make less work for themselves during crunch, IE: Don't fuck around for 2 years forcing the last 6 months of development to churn out 17 hour days which was caused by their own bullshit anyway, ultimately leading to shit released product and games that need 54 fucking patches to get stable.

After the culling, 65% of these assholes can pour my Caramel Macchiato for a living and complain I do not tip their sorry ass a dollar for a 6 dollar fucking cup of coffee while they argue why the male got a dollar tip from the last schmuck, and the blue-haired obnoxious female got .50 cents and complains about income disparity.
True competition, unfettered by government barriers to entry, solves these kinds of problems. But when companies are 'too big to fail', then accountability, especially to customers, goes out the fuckin window.

• 3Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

You can't call for people to be fired, that's toxic!!!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users