Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It happens a lot due to imposter syndrome for those with talent and overconfidence in abilities for people without talent. So the skilled individuals undervalue themselves and don't think they can do a better job at a higher level and don't try to promote. Meanwhile those who are already over their head think they're the solution and push to advance. Advancement is often the difference between making it a priority and not. It is rarely competence.
This is one of my pet peeves with promoting people to management.

Being a rock star technically doesn't translate into managing people. They're completely different skill sets.

That said, even then it depends on the team. I learned one this the hard way in my last role. As their manager, I made it my priority to essentially shield them from all the bullshit of upper management. That's almost all I did. Turns out, a portion of my team really wanted nonsense waste of time meetings, and tons of micromanagement. And so I failed them as a manager.

The reality though was that my position was completely unnecessary. The team knew what needed to be done didn't need a middle manager at all. So I left. They backfilled me and kept making the same mistakes, but it's not my problem anymore.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
That said, even then it depends on the team. I learned one this the hard way in my last role. As their manager, I made it my priority to essentially shield them from all the bullshit of upper management. That's almost all I did. Turns out, a portion of my team really wanted nonsense waste of time meetings, and tons of micromanagement. And so I failed them as a manager.

You did the exact job a manager is there to do; take the arrows from above and turn them into marching orders for the hands on people (and vice versa). The reason that a portion of your team wanted to waste time is because they were bad at their jobs and needed someone to do it for them.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You did the exact job a manager is there to do; take the arrows from above and turn them into marching orders for the hands on people (and vice versa). The reason that a portion of your team wanted to waste time is because they were bad at their jobs and needed someone to do it for them.

I agree with this - shield as much as you can while making sure shit gets done - get rid of the dead weight that doesnt appreciate the shit youre taking to keep it from all getting rolled down to them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This right here epitomizes most ALL game companies. Relating to at least one single part: Coming in drunk, fucking around, playing other games all day for "Research" and when they fall behind their milestones complaining of the crunch they PUT THEMSELVES IN; whine like little fucking babies and beg for a union to protect their unproductive bullshit for the last 2 years. The icing on the cake is when these fucks call their customers entitled.
Huge western game companies seem to all fall into this pit when they get big/successful. You can really see the difference with smaller ones. If I pick one of my pet loves at the moment, KLEI, they reliably put out new content for their games regularly, monthly for their more popular titles. They're constantly engaged with their customer base on the official forums, responding to bug reports and questions. The big dev houses don't do much of that.

I don't think asian companies suffer from this as much. Not being productive at work in a Japanese or Korean company is liable to dishonour your entire family line and you'd have to seppuku.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
They just got bought by Tencent bro. Expect those 'regular updates' to get monetized to hell and back.
Yes, maybe so, but I've got my moneys worth out of them so far!
1629456922139.png

• 3Mother of God
  • 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That's like 3-8 hours daily, literally every single day, depending on when he bought it in early access.

Sakkath irl clearly:

Pearl_%28Earth-26320%29_from_Blade_%28film%29_0001.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
I thought my oni time was extreme at 3200 hours.

though a ton of my time is leaving hte game going to go afk. i often log into it when i get home to play, then get destracted a few hours before coming back and doing something minor and stopping.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Same thing as Warframe. You dont get logged out if you just minimize it. So it looks like you've played the ever living fk out of it over the years.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I thought my oni time was extreme at 3200 hours.

though a ton of my time is leaving hte game going to go afk. i often log into it when i get home to play, then get destracted a few hours before coming back and doing something minor and stopping.
I'm not worthy :(
1629512061877.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
christ im barely at 150 hours.

logic gates are a hard pass for me though, which is probably why i've never gotten into the ultra late game where you build absurd monstrosities of engineering.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
This right here epitomizes most ALL game companies. Relating to at least one single part: Coming in drunk, fucking around, playing other games all day for "Research" and when they fall behind their milestones complaining of the crunch they PUT THEMSELVES IN; whine like little fucking babies and beg for a union to protect their unproductive bullshit for the last 2 years. The icing on the cake is when these fucks call their customers entitled.

Factual. Kind of like a certain "Producer" taking his entire team to MineCon in Vegas, only to return with the 'revelation' that a certain MMO will now have destructible terrain. Then fire up the hype machine, sell world creation tools to 'players' to basically get them to pay to do your work for you, while failing to ever actually deliver a game.

My favorite part was when this producer asked the rest of the company to play through their 'new' (conceptually lifted directly from League of Legends) combat system, only for basically the entire company to complain that it was complete shit for an MMO. Either that or completely faking the combat demo at a certain fan event in Las Vegas (basically lying to players about the state of the game), only to cancel the whole thing a few months later.

• 7Worf
  • 5Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 13 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My favorite part was when this producer asked the rest of the company to play through their 'new' (conceptually lifted directly from League of Legends) combat system, only for basically the entire company to complain that it was complete shit for an MMO. Either that or completely faking the combat demo at a certain fan event in Las Vegas (basically lying to players about the state of the game), only to cancel the whole thing a few months later.

I remember getting that leak. Can you get more specific?

Let's use Albion Online. Do you have any experience with that MMO? If so, how close to that combat system would you say this unnamed project was by this unammed producer?

I'd just like to have a basis for the League of Legends comment. And Albion was the first release to MOBA-ify their MMO combat. It was considered "innovative" by pumpers, but critics of course completely panned it saying it's just a MOBA combat ripoff.

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they launch a starcraft or diablo ish mmorpg people will throw money at them. And perhaps thats what they will do!

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
If they launch a starcraft or diablo ish mmorpg people will throw money at them. And perhaps thats what they will do!
I don't think that the Starcraft IP is big enough to support a decade+ of MMO expansions. They would have to introduce new alien races which is a huge risk.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Factual. Kind of like a certain "Producer" taking his entire team to MineCon in Vegas, only to return with the 'revelation' that a certain MMO will now have destructible terrain. Then fire up the hype machine, sell world creation tools to 'players' to basically get them to pay to do your work for you, while failing to ever actually deliver a game.

I wonder whom who you are talking about.

c2317779cf450eb22b66008e09467f68.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't bothered to follow this debacle for several reasons: 1. I don't play any Blizzard games 2. Even if some of the stories of misconduct are true, the years of women abusing the system to embellish stories, or to outright lie.. drained me of all the fucks I had to give. 3. I'm glad to see companies that embrace the woke religion get destroyed from the inside by the very same people they pandered to.

I really don't doubt that there is some validity to the claims and there are some women who were treated poorly enough that I'd be first in line to castrate the fuckers myself, but I also have no doubt there's a fuckton of cunts riding their coattails with their own stories of sexual harassment, misogyny, wage disparities, racism, homophobia, dead-naming, etc, etc, etc.

Fuck 'em all. Nothing that company makes is important to me and I hope it ends up a smoking ruin that stands as a warning to other companies to reconsider letting the enemy in the gates.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 11 users