Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
That's something completely different that you're talking. That's like Bain Capital-style private equity financial engineering.

No shadowy forces tanked Activision/Blizzard "on purpose" because Activision/Blizzard never tanked. The company was very fucking profitable and Bobby Kotick is going to make out like a bandit in this whole deal. Kotick stayed the course through all those lawsuits to get the company in a place to cash out.

What Microsoft chooses to do with the brand once they own it is up to them. I think they see major longterm recurring revenue value in the individual product ActiBlizz brands that Bobby had left to run out the clock.
I'm merely stating it exists.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
View attachment 393604

THIS is what happened to Blizzard. One can see how this continues too. Roiding on the sucess of WOW and its money printers you can see how a frat boy culture formed. And no one batted an eye becuse the money was flowing. But once the money train stops, thats when accountability enters the picture. Especially how the frat boys are finger banging interns in the high offices.
I don't think that meme represents what happened to WoW. The developers became heroes overnight because they made a great game. They continued to iterate on it, but obviously enjoyed getting some ass too. Then they got tired of it and split off to other projects/ideas such as Tigole going to Overwatch, etc... Then most of them retired/left the company and all this frat boy shit came out after the game had already gone down hill substantially.

Morale of the story is only hire Asian and white men if you want to make and keep a great company....

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

LFR, removing of skill tree, instant spec swap button, character boosts, dungeon queue..

LFR didn't ruin anything - basically was a way for super casuals to see content. Where they went wrong is they had way, way too many difficulty tiers

Skill trees in WoW were always an illusion of choice - unless you ran a couple specs, you were just gimping yourself

Spec swap button was fine - it let you adapt to the needs of your group

Dungeon queues were needed

Character boosts are lame outside of alts

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Automated LFR/D just really kills community. Group finder is fine. Creating friends you want to play with is the whole point of MMOs and multiplayer games. If they really wanted the autists and Jennies to see content they could've made a solo mode with bots.

Agree on the tiers though for sure.

Spec swapping is a must. Any MMO worth a shit needs replayability not just in the linear content it creates but the cyclical and playing alts and different specs helps a ton with that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Automated LFR/D just really kills community. Group finder is fine. Creating friends you want to play with is the whole point of MMOs and multiplayer games. If they really wanted the autists and Jennies to see content they could've made a solo mode with bots.

Agree on the tiers though for sure.

Spec swapping is a must. Any MMO worth a shit needs replayability not just in the linear content it creates but the cyclical and playing alts and different specs helps a ton with that.

You needed cross server group matching because a) too many servers b) too much server imbalance. They didnt want to merge servers overtly.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Morale of the story is only hire Asian and white men if you want to make and keep a great company....
It's definitely the 'unpopular kid in high school becomes a rock star' thing. Problem is, adults who relive their lost youth like that never have a moment of progress where they get past it, so they just spiral out of control for way longer than they should. Normal people get that shit out of their system early on.

It's still crazy to me though that if you're an actual rock star, you can marry your underage cousin, have people found dead in your hotel room, bender on all kinds of drugs and even literally beat your girlfriend (another rock star) into pulp on camera and it has little impact on your career. Meanwhile, in game dev, you get caught with a little milk on your lip...

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Yes. They're being forced to work overtime on salaried positions - and not being compensated for OT is standard in the industry.

Dying on the job? No. Why do people think death is the worst thing in the world? It's not.
For example, you could be forced to play Shadowlands 9.2 content.

So nothing would change, then.

View attachment 393559
I dont get paid for OT. I am ready to work 24 hours if its needed. The trade off is my salary is good and work almost never asks me for OT.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont get paid for OT. I am ready to work 24 hours if its needed. The trade off is my salary is good and work almost never asks me for OT.
YEah I dont get paid OT either, just salary. Last x-mas when I was working heavy on the electric truck for Lordstown Motors I was putting in 12-16 hrs a day working from home for months. Its how auto industry works and has worked for ever. Stretches where you work your ass off then stretches when you have shit all to do.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
My predictions, in no particular order:

• You'll need a Microsoft Office account to be able to login to WoW.
  • WoW will be renamed Microsoft Fantasy Combat Simulator.
  • The "!" quest icon will be replaced with a paperclip symbol.
  • WoWhead and Bing will merge resulting in nothing but Rule 34 pictures popping up when searching for tactics for various female bosses.

Fuckin' Clippy is going to be popping up in game reminding you to do your daily chores.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know why people think of game studios as entities that can persist without their key developers/designers. Blizzard without Tigole (and Furor) and the old guard is like Journey without Steve Perry. Who gives a shit?

fify

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So Blizzard server management now upgrades to Microsoft server management. Who the hell put that as the skill progression.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
YEah I dont get paid OT either, just salary. Last x-mas when I was working heavy on the electric truck for Lordstown Motors I was putting in 12-16 hrs a day working from home for months. Its how auto industry works and has worked for ever. Stretches where you work your ass off then stretches when you have shit all to do.
Eh, the game dev thing just gets into a whole capitalism politics topic that I just dont care to visit. But it basically revolves around either idiots, or desperate people being taken advantage of. The job you describe is pretty much just a company keeping you on retainer. Where a more hideous example, rather than a game dev, would be Subway paying an employee to run a store for minimum wage at 40 hours, stretched out over an 80-90 hour week. I feel like the end result is going to be some heavy handed approach from the government to fix it and its going to work well for those on the lowest rung, but utterly fuck those that are in the position you spoke of. You and I could sit here and hash out a fair system that puts no one at a disadvantage, but with all the lobbying and shit that happens in politics - you know they arent going to take the most straightforward route. Game Dev's unionizing is just them trying to take control of it before the government fucks it all up, imo.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I work in M&A and BD for a large SAAS company similar to Microsoft and am just as eager to see this play out as everyone here.

These things, especially with a company as large as Microsoft will take years to fully develop. There are typical acquired company phases we should expect to see, both culturally and technically.

Transition > integration > extended value

The first phase will be a lot of turnover and managing people and process. We won’t see investment in any one area. “Keep the lights on and learn” will be a focus.

The second phase will be bringing Blizzard into Microsoft’s ecosystem and building out the longer term vision. This will include a lot of IT work to rebuild the house. We will hear about investment plans but shouldn’t expect to see any new games or major changes. Expect a bit blizzcon vision statement with rough timelines.

The third phase is when they’ll launch new capabilities unique to MSFT/Blizzard asthat they hope to create more value for us. Hopefully they’ve learned from the Diablo mobile backlash and understand their player base.

There are a lot of smart people at Microsoft, but smart people don’t always make great games. It will be interesting.

It’s smart of Microsoft. If Amazon took them off the table imagine what they could have done with Twitch + Activision + Prime.

• 4Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
My predictions, in no particular order:

• You'll need a Microsoft Office account to be able to login to WoW.
  • WoW will be renamed Microsoft Fantasy Combat Simulator.
  • The "!" quest icon will be replaced with a paperclip symbol.
  • WoWhead and Bing will merge resulting in nothing but Rule 34 pictures popping up when searching for tactics for various female bosses.
They are to computer entertainment the same as Disney is to movies. They are totally going to Disney up WoW and whatever the future of Diablo was.

MS fucked up Minecraft. They are in the process of shifting accounts and launchers and me and many others still cannot log into Minecraft after switching launchers. Complete horseshit, they fucked it up so badly. I have to go through the fucking Xbox store to even find the launcher download for my PC. Say what the fuck? And I have spent hours trying to find a fix to no avail.

I am convinced they did it on purpose to get people to buy new accounts. There are also scads of people online who said they just gave up and did just that.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Could be MS wanting the right titles to try and dominate the VR world going forward.

I imagine a VR WoW / CoD would be money printers for some time.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Eh, the game dev thing just gets into a whole capitalism politics topic that I just dont care to visit. But it basically revolves around either idiots, or desperate people being taken advantage of. The job you describe is pretty much just a company keeping you on retainer. Where a more hideous example, rather than a game dev, would be Subway paying an employee to run a store for minimum wage at 40 hours, stretched out over an 80-90 hour week. I feel like the end result is going to be some heavy handed approach from the government to fix it and its going to work well for those on the lowest rung, but utterly fuck those that are in the position you spoke of. You and I could sit here and hash out a fair system that puts no one at a disadvantage, but with all the lobbying and shit that happens in politics - you know they arent going to take the most straightforward route. Game Dev's unionizing is just them trying to take control of it before the government fucks it all up, imo.

Subway is evil? The employee can quit and find another job at any time; and anyone working in those conditions would do just that.

Anyone making over 30k at a white collar desk job needs to be required to work as a farmhand, garbage man, or yard maintenance for a week every year just to remind them how fucking lucky they are to do what they do.

People that think they need a union to stop companies from taking advantage of you need to grow a spine and develop an ounce of common sense.

• 2Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You think this is bad wait for the woke hell of Microsoft.

How the cartoon chars in MS Teams are done is a good indicator of the cringe to come, not to mention the new content assist stuff in MS word. Super hard cringe.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Truth!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Subway is evil? The employee can quit and find another job at any time; and anyone working in those conditions would do just that.

Anyone making over 30k at a white collar desk job needs to be required to work as a farmhand, garbage man, or yard maintenance for a week every year just to remind them how fucking lucky they are to do what they do.

People that think they need a union to stop companies from taking advantage of you need to grow a spine and develop an ounce of common sense.

That would cut into my pay when I'm working. Lot of engineers (not computer science) will not even walk 30 feet from the office to talk to someone in the shop for 5 minutes, even though the shop is air conditioned. It's beneath them. See it all the time. One engineer literally laughed and said that's why he got an engineering degree so he didn't have to go to places like that and talk to the people in the shop. Jokes on him, I used to sign his check.

• 1Like