Blood Bowl 2

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Okay I am pretty pleased with both the patch and that they will be giving 4 more races for free.

Sulrn

Deuces
So are all the races free now are do they still have the first few (wood elves /lizard) still behind the pay wall and only the new races are free?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Game was half-off through Steam over the weekend...I finally caved-in and bought it. Not sure if I hate the interface or if I just am so used to the BB1 interface that I need to get used to it. Everything feels a little choppy, so I might have to look at the graphic settings. Is there a way to add the grid and positions like in BB1?

Doubt I'll play online anytime soon, but figured I wouldn't get a cheaper price anytime soon and wanted to make sure I got Norse for free.

I use the BB1 controls (you can change it through the options), that works pretty well for me.

You can hit the ctrl key to toggle through the grid and names, skill icons, or nothing but the grid.

Game is decent, I just wish they'd hurry up with adding more races.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Posted this in the miniatures thread awhile back, but with a couple days left in the campaign I'll add it here for any of the tabletop blood bowl players:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...3761670#/story
Really good-looking Underworld team. Same artist is also doing a Slann/Frog team on Indiegogo if anyone is interested.

In related news, GW just asked NAF to take down their rules. Not surprising, but hopefully GW doesn't try to do anything too crazy with the new rule set.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Norse took them 6-7 months, are you ok to wait 18-21 months for the next 3 "free" races?

Cyanide, lol
Not even a little bit but free is free, I look forward to Nurgle in 2 years. Buying this for PS4 later today for some couch local play.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I was talking with friends the other day about starting TT Bloodbowl. We've been circling the topic for a while now. But suddenly people segued to"let's just play BB2 instead". I'd prefer BB1 but I seem to be alone in that, friends seem to be more interested in the animations. It's irritating that I'll either need to buy a game that I wouldn't buy otherwise, just to play BB with RL friends because they are adamant that they don't want to buy the first game, or I'll have to simply not play with them. It's also irritating that them playing BB2 will probably bury any urge amongst them to play the TT game, potentially for years.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In related news, GW just asked NAF to take down their rules. Not surprising, but hopefully GW doesn't try to do anything too crazy with the new rule set.
Oh joy. The first time they did this it nearly killed the table top community. This will likely end it for this game.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was talking with friends the other day about starting TT Bloodbowl. We've been circling the topic for a while now. But suddenly people segued to"let's just play BB2 instead". I'd prefer BB1 but I seem to be alone in that, friends seem to be more interested in the animations. It's irritating that I'll either need to buy a game that I wouldn't buy otherwise, just to play BB with RL friends because they are adamant that they don't want to buy the first game, or I'll have to simply not play with them. It's also irritating that them playing BB2 will probably bury any urge amongst them to play the TT game, potentially for years.
Blood Bowl TT has a very steep learning curve. It can be intimidating, so I don't really blame them. My biggest problem with BB2 over BB1 is the lack of choices for races. That alone would have me leaning towards BB1 for a league. I don't even really play online now that I'm in a local TT group, though. After a year I still have times when I have to ask for clarification on rules or abilities, but I get more enjoyment out of it than playing online.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Advancing to the Finals of my local Blood Bowl league with my 1550 Amazons going against a 2150 Dark Elf team. I've been playing with inducements all playoffs, but nothing like a 600k difference. Going to be an insane game.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Focus on running and clock management. If there has been cause for him to have lots of tackle (seems likely at that TR) or wrestle, you might be boned. If not, then that extra TR is likely tied up in stuff that won't matter to a Zon roster. In a lot of ways his team is going to mirror yours, except with AG4 and more movement. I have done that matchup, but not at that level of disparity. Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Will do. Game is tonight. I'm probably taking a Wizard, a 400k Desperate Measures Card, and a Babe. If I get lucky he could end up with 0 rerolls or only be allowed one of his two highest TV players on the field. The worst card from that deck gives me 1 turn where I roll for each of his players and a 2+ gives them Bonehead for my Turn. I toyed around with some other inducement ideas, but my best chance of winning is evening the playing field with one of those cards, I think.
He has 3 tackle, 4 wrestlers, a STR 4, and an AGI 5. Definitely not going to be an easy road, but if I can get his MB/Tackle/PileOn Blitzer or Tackle/JumpUp/Leap/Agi Witch Elf out early, then I think I have a chance. I have 7 Blodgers and 3 Guards. I'm probably going to kick and then focus on trying to get his killer down and use an unskilled linewoman to foul him. Otherwise he's going to pick off my top players one by one with her.

I went through Vampires and Necros to get here. He's one of the best coaches in the region, though...just hoping the Wizard and card give me the psychological edge.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Depending on how many rerolls he has, the Halfling Chef might be a good choice. Many elf rosters stop once they hit 3 RRs and the chef can potentially take all those away. Nothing quite like watching an elf player roll a 1 and lose his shit over it. I would also consider Morg as an option to have an answer to his hitters. Zala the Slayer is more economical (and stab puts the fear of god into the AV7 witch elves), but he might over commit to dealing with Morg if you run him in tandem with a guard player or two. Just a couple things to consider.

Basically, anything you do will have to involve making him play more conservatively. Hopefully he is not like me and slapping sidestep on the Witch Elves or running Wrestle Dodge Fend on his linemen. If he is running straight up killers and you know how to mitigate that as Zons, you should be in good shape. If you have a wrestle person, that's a good choice to stick on the Blitzer, or just put two mooks on him to keep him occupied while your skilled women work the other parts of the field. I would personally be more worried about that AG5 Tackling Witch Elf (those were always the best ones on my Darkies rosters) wrecking your scoring plans than the blitzer.

Elves in general, its about protecting the ball and controlling the clock, since you (generally) cannot win against them in a shootout with Zons, especially at higher TV. Also, hang on to that Wizard like its your daughter's virginity. The threat of the Wizard being used is usually more powerful than what he actually does, particularly if it keeps him from bunching up to avoid getting wrecked by a fireball.

In any case, good luck. Zons have always been my favorite team due to the jack of all trades aspect, so I will be rooting for you.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
So, it was a pretty awesome game. My 400k card ended up being Assassin which let me choose one of his players that was out for the game. I chose his AGI 5 Witch Elf that I mentioned before. He chose to receive and both of us were rolling lots of POWs and breaking armor. He scored on his first drive and stopped me from scoring in 3 turns, so he was up 1-0 at the half. I did foul his PileOn Blizer on Turn 8 of the first half, though and he ended up out for the game.

Second half started much the same for casualties. I killed one of his Guard Blitzers and had the advantage in players and scored on my turn 4. I could have tried to stall, but with the advantage, I was hoping to get the ball back and score rather than overtime. He got both of his KOs back, but my plan did work when his Runner fumbled a pass and I was able to jump on it and break away to go up 2-1. Unfortunately he had enough pressure on me that I couldn't stall, so he had two turns to score and he hurt me enough to even up the player counts at 8 each.
With only 8 players and movement 6 I wasn't able to screen well enough and he got a Turn 8 TD to force overtime.

I won the coin toss and received, started up the left flank, but his STR 4 busted my cage and I tried to swing the ball around to my receiver. Unfortunately my dice luck ran out. I had to use a reroll on a push, then I tried a GFI instead of a 4+ pass. I failed the GFI, he got the ball and after a decent attempt at trying to stop him, he eventually scored in overtime to win the championship. If I had completed the pass, my Catcher would have been well into his side of the pitch and he'd have needed to make some dice rolls to get a hit on him with his wrestler (my catcher was block/side step).

It was really close and I can't complain too much considering the TV difference and how good the other coach is. Obviously I'd have liked the win, and going from up 2-1 on Turn 15 to losing in overtime hurt, but it was fun.
I didn't walk out unscathed, either. He killed one of my tackle linewomen and got -MV on an unskilled one (who will be fired). He also got a niggle on a Jump Up blitzer. I think I'm going to keep her and get Mighty Blow, then if she's still alive by her next skill, decide between Mighty Blow and PileOn. Although I'm probably going to switch things up and play my Chaos and Norse teams this season. I enjoyed the Amazons, but I think I need a break from them for a bit.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. Really starting to get into it, and with GW starting to support the game again our local shop has asked us if we'd host a tournament there. I had already started putting the rules together for one, so I'll probably do that. It's amazing how much better I've learned the game playing tabletop than I ever would have if I had stuck with the computer versions.

TLDR; I lost 3-2 in overtime.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I tried playing BB2 again last night because I wanted to test Brettonians...started a game against the UI with a couple mid-level teams, clicked on a player to look at his skills and realized I had to go over each icon instead of just a simple list of skills. Exited out. I'm sure it's not bad once you actually memorize the icons (I'm sure we all did it in EQ), but I don't feel like spending 5 minutes/turn right now figuring out which players have which skills.
Maybe it's just because I learned on BB1, but I really don't like this interface.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Depending on how many rerolls he has, the Halfling Chef might be a good choice. Many elf rosters stop once they hit 3 RRs and the chef can potentially take all those away. Nothing quite like watching an elf player roll a 1 and lose his shit over it. I would also consider Morg as an option to have an answer to his hitters. Zala the Slayer is more economical (and stab puts the fear of god into the AV7 witch elves), but he might over commit to dealing with Morg if you run him in tandem with a guard player or two. Just a couple things to consider.

Basically, anything you do will have to involve making him play more conservatively. Hopefully he is not like me and slapping sidestep on the Witch Elves or running Wrestle Dodge Fend on his linemen. If he is running straight up killers and you know how to mitigate that as Zons, you should be in good shape. If you have a wrestle person, that's a good choice to stick on the Blitzer, or just put two mooks on him to keep him occupied while your skilled women work the other parts of the field. I would personally be more worried about that AG5 Tackling Witch Elf (those were always the best ones on my Darkies rosters) wrecking your scoring plans than the blitzer.

Elves in general, its about protecting the ball and controlling the clock, since you (generally) cannot win against them in a shootout with Zons, especially at higher TV. Also, hang on to that Wizard like its your daughter's virginity. The threat of the Wizard being used is usually more powerful than what he actually does, particularly if it keeps him from bunching up to avoid getting wrecked by a fireball.

In any case, good luck. Zons have always been my favorite team due to the jack of all trades aspect, so I will be rooting for you.
afaik every pro (yes there is a world cup irl also, 2 guys at local lgs did well) will advise against the haffer chef, as other inducements (wizard mainly) have a far bigger impact

(except the guy that actually plays halflings, because they get them at half price)