Bloodborne

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone gotten their Platinum theme yet? Still waiting on mine since November....
That is a European Region only thing sadly, because they pay so much money for the games they usually get free stuff like that for Platinum, or other stuff.

Bloodborne Won a BAFTA, World Design heh lol

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Playing this finally, just got Vicar dead, third boss I'd found. Also went through Old Yharnam and found Blood-Starved Beast but warped out cause I had like ~35k blood I didn't want to lose.

Couple questions:
-How do I equip this Caryll rune I got? I can't figure that out.
-There's no armor upgrading or anything right? I haven't found much armor, just a couple of sets that seem to be side-grades into different resists or w/e. This one seems to lack a good bit of the equipment layer that the Souls series has. Armor seems to not matter at all?

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Playing this finally, just got Vicar dead, third boss I'd found. Also went through Old Yharnam and found Blood-Starved Beast but warped out cause I had like ~35k blood I didn't want to lose.

Couple questions:
-How do I equip this Caryll rune I got? I can't figure that out.
-There's no armor upgrading or anything right? I haven't found much armor, just a couple of sets that seem to be side-grades into different resists or w/e. This one seems to lack a good bit of the equipment layer that the Souls series has. Armor seems to not matter at all?
There's no armor upgrading, but some sets are considerably better than others for certain bosses/levels.

You can equip runes once you beat the boss of Hemwick (being deliberately vague here so as not to spoiler, in case you care).

Edit: good call with BSB. He's pretty tough.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I will say, one thing that's significantly different is the lack of glaringly obvious boss areas. In the Souls series, you'd have the fog door. In BB, instead for the first time, you just walk in, cutscene, and hey, it's boss time and you're locked in there with him/her/it! The fog door only appears after you've engaged the boss once before (at least, up until where I am).

That irked me the first time Father G killed me. He was my first boss encounter, because I hadn't explored the ends of that bridge that Cleric Beast is hanging out on yet. I even almost killed him that first encounter, and this is before I'm even allowed to level up (since apparently that only happens after you've encountered a boss?), but alas. That frustrated me, but I was able to get back in and warp out with my echoes I'd lost. Since then, Vicar surprised me somewhat, although I had a sneaking suspicion simply based on environment and thus only went in with like 2k echoes. BSB though, I was like 99% sure was going to be yet another LOL BOSS TIME Bloodborne moment, so as I approached him I got my warp item slotted up and ready. Luckily he takes his sweet time sauntering up to you.

TLDR: The lack of 100% obvious boss areas can be annoying, but if they continue with the mostly-obvious environments, I guess It'll do.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Bummer! Also I remembered my other question. It seems this game has one universal dodge/roll mechanic that isn't affected by anything at all (armor load, ADP, etc from souls)? True/untrue?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Bloodborne, you can wear the heaviest of armor and weaponsets, and you will not be encumbered or affected negatively.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Bummer! Also I remembered my other question. It seems this game has one universal dodge/roll mechanic that isn't affected by anything at all (armor load, ADP, etc from souls)? True/untrue?
yes, bloodborne is Speed Souls no shields either(Well there is 2(plank shield is a joke) now but not as good as just straight up dodging!)

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Is this game typically regarded as harder than its Souls counterparts? Because I tended to have a tough time with plenty of DeS, DS1, DS2:SotFS, but Bloodborne isn't really giving me many issues. 1-shot Cleric Beast, Father G (after the initial death so I could level up), 3-shot Vicar, 1-shot both Witch of Hemwick and Blood-Starved Beast. Rarely dying to trash, or at least rarely dying more than once to stuff.

I did play all the souls stuff sword and board cause I'm a pussy, though. Perhaps the necessity of no-shield has made me realize my full potential, and now I'm over 9000? Dunno. I will say though, after playing this, I'll go back to the Souls games and try non-shield builds.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I find dodging is a lot easier in Bloodborne. I had a lot of trouble with some bosses(mostly Bloodstarved Beast and a couple of the final chalice bosses), but this was my first souls game of all of them. I'm now at the end of DS1 and finding the entire game quite easy, though the trash mobs in DS are much harder than Bloodborne.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Is this game typically regarded as harder than its Souls counterparts? Because I tended to have a tough time with plenty of DeS, DS1, DS2:SotFS, but Bloodborne isn't really giving me many issues. 1-shot Cleric Beast, Father G (after the initial death so I could level up), 3-shot Vicar, 1-shot both Witch of Hemwick and Blood-Starved Beast. Rarely dying to trash, or at least rarely dying more than once to stuff.

I did play all the souls stuff sword and board cause I'm a pussy, though. Perhaps the necessity of no-shield has made me realize my full potential, and now I'm over 9000? Dunno. I will say though, after playing this, I'll go back to the Souls games and try non-shield builds.
Sword and boarding is tougher in Dark Souls than being a magic user IMO. Nothing pussy about it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Just different. BB combat feel has more in common with Darksouls 3 than the others in the series where things are slowed down and feel a little clunky sometimes as a result. BB was more fluid and action based. Especially with the return health on hit after getting whacked. With Dark souls 3 now launched I think I prefer that overall. The weapon diversity and class options add a lot to the replay value of the game outside of just NG+ with more or less the same build. They also sped up combat and stuff a tad to make it feel a little more fluid without it being quite as much as BB.

They did a really good job with DS3. BB is still a great game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Totally lost on where to go next. I've just cleared out Forbidden Woods (killed that triple boss thing), and explored all of Byrgenwerth, but all I found was an old dude in a chair who points his staff at a ledge facing the moon. Lovely view dude, thanks.

I think the areas I haven't explored, but know of, are:

-Nightmare Frontier (cleared the Lecture Hall lower floor, can't figure out how to get to upper area)
-Hunter's Nightmare (I think this is DLC? Either way, the hunters there are rapeface so I assume it's not quite time to fuck around in there. I killed the first two then when I saw them respawn after I died, I noped out)
-Chalice dungeon? I got a Pthnumululunumuasdflkj chalice from, I think, BSB? Where do these even fit into the game? I did layer 1 and killed some dumb generic boss in there. Is this all optional crap?

Which basically leaves me thinking I have to go to Nightmare Frontier, but that place looked gay as all hell, so I'm dragging my feets. Advices? I don't mind minor spoilers, it's entirely possible I've missed something in Forbidden Woods because while I'm normally an innate compass/map person who gets around really well, that place is AIDS to my brain.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
LOL. Fucks sake, these games sometimes. I looked as best I could and saw nothing but certain doom. Did I miss some sort of indication of safety in jumping/falling?