Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
A session is 2-3 hours. TMB is gonna run you 1.5 with people who absolutely know their characters, and 2-3 if you're learning any part of it. There's narrative and a lot of player choice going on in D&D. TMB is "do I take dex or get a skill die." It's fun but it's lacking narrative depth and it could be added.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
A session is 2-3 hours. TMB is gonna run you 1.5 with people who absolutely know their characters, and 2-3 if you're learning any part of it. There's narrative and a lot of player choice going on in D&D. TMB is "do I take dex or get a skill die." It's fun but it's lacking narrative depth and it could be added.

Where could they add narrative? You get that stuff between combat, which is almost every pen and paper RPG I have ever run. TMBs narrative has to fit on a playing card too.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Wouldn’t d&d take longer if the people didn’t know the game as well? You’re comparing a seasoned group of players in d&d vs tmb noobs.

I’m not really arguing that d&d and tmb have the same amount of depth or anything, just seemed an odd comparison for time commitments like that.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
After playing a half dozen games of TMB and probably 2 dozen scenarios in Gloomhaven I really don't want to play them anymore because of the similar feeling of I'd rather just play D&D. I wouldn't mind them in video game format though.

Finally played Xia last night. Really, really enjoyed it.

Table Top Simulator has a DLC on steam for like $8 too in case you don't want to fork out $200-400 on game/expansions.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
After playing a half dozen games of TMB and probably 2 dozen scenarios in Gloomhaven I really don't want to play them anymore because of the similar feeling of I'd rather just play D&D. I wouldn't mind them in video game format though.

Table Top Simulator has a DLC on steam for like $8 too in case you don't want to fork out $200-400 on game/expansions.

Are you playing those alone or with real live people in the room at the table with you?

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider

See this guy gets me. I think TMB is streamlined and wonderful, and I'll keep playing it, but I ultimately regret my Gloomhaven purchase cause it's D&D-lite, stripping away everything I love about D&D.

They could've add narrative for post-boss defeats in TMB, and I guess they have an expansion that adds an overworld of sorts? But it isn't nearly as well reviewed.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
My friend has all of the TMB items and backed the kickstarter for the new one so I'm sure we'll play it again, but even he agrees it's lacking. He just really likes the style of everything. Art/chips etc. and I agree they do offer some premium stuff.

I do enjoy their other offering of Hoplomachus and Cloudspire is supposed to be coming in soon too so we'll see how that is.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I guess I’m not understanding the point being made, other than “in a world with limited time I prefer the type of game DND is more than board games.”

They’re fundamentally different. I enjoy both for different reasons, and continue to play DND, Gloomhaven, and TMB regularly; none of these makes me want to play the other less.

Shrug. Doesn’t mean GH and TMB aren’t top tier board games.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

faille

Molten Core Raider
Been hooked on space base lately. Like machi koro but much improved. Expansion isn't too bad. Nice and small, too us 6 games to complete, and adds interesting new elements but not necessary for the game. Probably only worth it if you enjoy the base game or like story campaign style games

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
The metal Scythe coins are so good that it makes me want to go full Prince Jon from the Disney Robin Hood and count stacks of them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Okay so after a few playthroughs of TMB, I'll say I enjoy it. I have 2 major complaints:

1. There is a lack of narrative sometimes and if you're not with fun people it feels mechanical.
2. It just makes me want to play D&D.

#2 is the same complaint I have with Gloomhaven. Also HP management in Gloomhaven as well as initiative is such a chore that I use an app on my tablet, which streamlines it, but then once again makes me ask, why am I simply not playing D&D? The HP and initiative in TMB is great.

I kind of agree with you on your first point. Each encounter card is kind of a choose-your-own-adventure where you either selection option A or B, but since the cards are randomized, the story element takes a hit because their is no cohesion or over-arching plot. Also, once you kill the boss there is a "that's it?" kinda moment because their is no campaign or legacy component (which I understand gets fixed somewhat with the Age of Tyranny add-on....can't wait to get it).

Your second point, however, I don't feel the same, because it's two different beasts imo. First off, I have to preface by saying I haven't played D&D in ages, but I did play it for over 20 years in my youth. I only recently have gotten back into board games and I have to say one of the most enjoyable things about board gaming is that it's more accessible for the general public, and also it allows for true cooperative play for everyone. In D&D, you need someone to DM, and the quality of any campaign boils down to how good your DM is. D&D definitely has more depth and more creativity, but it's also kind of a 1 vs many mentality, which is why I never bought Descent (the board game) because I don't want to play against my family and friends anymore, I want to be on the same team (I used to DM a lot).

Which is why I love, love, love Gloomhaven. Because now I get to adventure with all my friends and family, and the "DM" is automated. Sure, it's not as creative or fancy as a human DM would be, but it is sophisticated enough to allow me to enjoy the game immensely. It's also why I love computer RPGs, because I get to just play the game while all the rules and background stuff is automated for me. However, for me computer RPGs are a solitary affair (Fallout, Skyrim, etc), while board games is something I really enjoy with other people because it's so much more social.

Same with Too Many Bones. The game isn't ground-breaking as far as combat, character advancement etc.....but it's such a joy to play because of the components. And this goes to board games in general. Something about sliding pieces around a board, holding cards in your hand like poker....it's the physical elements of board games that's got me hooked in a big way. Maybe D&D is more like that now? When I played D&D is was hand-written character sheets, DM hiding behind a screen, and moving lead figurines on pencil-drawn maps lol.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a big fan of D&/Pathfinder and board games in general but since i've gotten married and had a couple kids I haven't really been able to play. I'm looking forward to when the kids are older and we can all play games together but right now its just a disaster if we try and play a game with both the 4 and 6 year old. i'm looking for a 2 player RPG style board game that is somewhat rules light that my wife and I can play. I backed Kingdom Death a few years back and tried playing that with my dad and wife....that was a mistake. I'm looking at teh base game of TMB. What's the learning curve like and how well does it play with 2 people?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a big fan of D&/Pathfinder and board games in general but since i've gotten married and had a couple kids I haven't really been able to play. I'm looking forward to when the kids are older and we can all play games together but right now its just a disaster if we try and play a game with both the 4 and 6 year old. i'm looking for a 2 player RPG style board game that is somewhat rules light that my wife and I can play. I backed Kingdom Death a few years back and tried playing that with my dad and wife....that was a mistake. I'm looking at teh base game of TMB. What's the learning curve like and how well does it play with 2 people?

I’d say try zombicide: Black Plague. It’s easy to pick up, and you can change rules to play with your kids. I have been playing with my son off and on and have been scaling the rules up slowly. He likes the miniatures and different weapons and monsters.

The first time we played I just made up dice rules and we ended up putting his toys on the board to fight as mega bosses once we ran out of the ones from the game.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

First off, lol at the T-Rex Hateyou Hateyou , that's awesome.

As far as TMB goes, it's fairly easy to learn. It plays well with 2 people, but that is also the most difficult setting imo - it's easiest with 4 people. It is a great game, I think it belongs in any serious board gamer's collection. It is $130 though, so it's pricey.

Another game I could recommend for you is Aeon's End, or more specifically Aeon's Legacy to start. I don't know what your situation is, but for example, I am like you, an avid gamer, former D&Der....meanwhile my wife has never played D&D, does zero computer gaming, and only plays board games because of me. So of all the games she has played with me, she like's Aeons End the best. I think it's easier for a non-gamer to pick up on, it plays fairly fast, and there is a huge variety. I recommend Aeon's Legacy because it will introduce the rules at a slower pace for newcomers and I feel is a great introduction to the whole Aeon's End franchise. It's also less "fiddly" because it's mainly a card game, so set-up and breakdown times are quick. I think Aeon's End Legacy sells for around $65 and the original Aeon's End is around $40.

I also feel both TMB and Aeon's End are games your kids will enjoy when they get older and you start gaming with them.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Seconded Aeons. My gamers friends love it, it’s very well balanced, and a couple non gamer friends played it and enjoyed it enough they were texting me about it the next day. It’s the best deck builder I’ve played by a long shot.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Since TMB has been a topic lately, figured I’d put this up for people who want to try it or don’t have the cash to buy it. I haven’t tried it but supposedly it’s pretty good, and sanctioned by Chip Theory, they were talking it up for the guy is how I came across it a couple years ago.

• 2Like

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the ideas. I can get Zombicide: Black Plague and Aeon Legacy for $160 CAD with free shipping, seems alright. I can get both for the price of TMB so I may hold off on that one for a couple years.

• 2Like