Board Games

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ordered TMB and all the expansion/add-on stuff they had in stock, looks pretty sweet. The stuff I wasn't able to get were the Mech dude and Undertow. How quickly do they typically get stuff back in stock?

(Not super familiar with their store site, they both said in stock but when I selected NA region that indication went away).

Well they’re launching a Kickstarter for new stuff and reprints in a couple weeks so I’m guessing the restock should happen within a couple months.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I backed Bloodborne but I'm having buyers remorse. Maybe I should back TMB? Help!

Hah. I was having it as well, backed out a few days before it ended. I really dislike the cmon kickstarters making expansions exclusive or one figure in a box exclusive. The game looked fun but I felt like I already had some games that play similar and my gaming friends don’t really know bloodborne so it may have just been odd for them. TMB however, I don’t have anything like it at all. It’s great, and they really like it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Heads up if you didn't know, star wars imperial assault is $40 on Amazon today. You'll just have to change the buying option when you search for it to Amazon.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ordered TMB and all the expansion/add-on stuff they had in stock, looks pretty sweet. The stuff I wasn't able to get were the Mech dude and Undertow. How quickly do they typically get stuff back in stock?

(Not super familiar with their store site, they both said in stock but when I selected NA region that indication went away).

Awesome, you going to have a great time. Somethings will be weird and not make sense like right away like the enemies break ability or do flying enemies that you can’t attack this round block your movement. Overall though just follow the new player guides and after a few combats you understand most of the mechanics.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
First board game night since February this weekend.

Ravine - this was pretty fun, kind of like a card version of Mountain of Madness. We enjoyed it and played it a couple of times.
Dead 'til Dawn - meh. Played it twice, game just kinda ends. Survival / zombie game card game.
Welcome to - this was great. Neat concept, looking forward to playing it some more. Everyone's favorite game of the night.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Played the hell out of Too Many Bones over the long weekend, we all had a lot of fun. I can't wait until the KS to get more of it. I think what makes the game stand out is just the visual appeal of the whole thing, and also something satisfying about stacking chips and using them as a visual representation of hit points is genius. That being said, there are a few things I would nit-pick about the game:

1) The first 3 encounters are the same very game and not randomized. This got old quick. I understand there are new initial encounter cards with the expansions, so not sweating this.

2) Player count really affects difficulty. I have played this with 2, 3, and 4 players now. I have not tried it solo yet but plan on it. With 2 players, it was the hardest (I heard solo is easier than 2p). I think 3 people is the sweet spot. With 4 people we steamrolled everything. The game doesn't scale that well imo. Take for example day 4.....with 4 players, you have a three 5 pt baddies, and a 1 pt baddie; by this point in the game 1 pt baddies are a joke, so really it's a 4v3 situation. On the other hand, for 2 players on day 4.....now you have a 5 pt baddie, and three 1 pt baddie. That's 4 monsters vs 2 players. Sure, the 1 pt baddies aren't that bad, but it's like a small horde. Much tougher. I may play around with the BQ points to see if I can make it more challenging with 4 people.

3) The skill dice is the fun part of the game, but really for optimizing characters raising the base stats gives you the most chance for success imo. For example, this weekend I had a friend play for the first time. He picked Tantrum. The rage dice was kinda confusing (I don't blame him), so he focused on raising his dex and attack dice, secondarily on health. I think he might have bought 2 skill dice max. I think he ended up with 8 dex and 8 attack by the time we got to the boss. The way we set up almost every fight was I would take on the strongest baddie as Pickett, then he would line up against the 2nd biggest baddie (5 pt). Lashback? Terrify? Flight? No worries, with 6-8 attack dice he was 1-shotting everything. Then, I would damage my baddie, the next round he would move up and finish off my mob. He almost never got hit because he never had the highest or lowest hps, and whatever mob started next to him usually died right away. The occasional mob with Break? Patches poisons, Boomer grenades, leave for the end, then Tantrum swoops in and kills. Also as Pickett, I find that I really only need 3 or 4 of the Commander skill dice; everything else I put into stats. Raising dex and def, getting a bunch of bones to use shield bash is so OP.

4) Game takes a lot longer than advertised, obviously the more players the longer it takes. I think it says 60-90 minutes on the box? That's a joke. I would guess a more realistic number is an hour x # of players, so 4 hours for a 4-player game, 2 hours for a 2-player game. Again, not a big deal when you are having fun, but plan accordingly.

Just some observations. Like I said, everyone had a great time playing and it's a really great social game, which I like. I like how you "level up" constantly, so your character is contantly evolving and improving. As a group it's fun strategizing about the battle mat, who goes where, who do we hit first, etc...no one in our group is an alpha-gamer which is nice. This also gets rid of the analysis-paralysis that I sometimes see with Gloomhaven.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Awesome, you going to have a great time. Somethings will be weird and not make sense like right away like the enemies break ability or do flying enemies that you can’t attack this round block your movement. Overall though just follow the new player guides and after a few combats you understand most of the mechanics.

Yeah most of the basic mechanics made sense instantly from a heavy background of complex tactical battle miniatures games. The only occasional trouble we came up against was figuring out exactly how chars like Tink and Ghillie and their pets worked and interacted with timings and such. For instance last night, we weren't sure if Ghillie's pets had their OWN turns such that Ghillie could theoretically do 4 damage to a baddie with Hardy. We landed on yes, as it appears that that might just be a neat strength he has, as all 10 of them are unique and have their strengths and weaknesses. Also Tink's mech management was a tad confusing at first, but apparently you just treat it like Tink is two people when it's active, and you're moving, choosing targets, and attacking/resolving/rolling for both during each sub-phase (as opposed to Ghillie's pets who go individually in completion before Ghillie ever goes, sans losing some Dex if necessary to keep them out).

-edit- Oh, and the critter feast encounter. WTF is going on in that one? Even when coming to an admittedly reserved conclusion on the confusing movement rules for the critters (our ruling resulted in more of them escaping than another possible interpretation), it seemed crazily overpowered beneficial for the party if you draw into it. We had the progress to go for the Tyrant right after drawing that one and we were like "uh yeah, let's tackle the Tyrant with ~5 buff hp each."

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My copy of Great Western Trail came in, going to give it a spin with my friends friday night before driving to kansas city in real life.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Great Western trail went pretty good. A lot faster-feeling turn cycles than most euros I've played, since your turn-by-turn decision tree is smaller. Feels like one of the rare games where 3 player is probably cleaner than 4 player, due to the different worker/point-source "focuses."

Modular Scythe board should come in this week or next week, so looking forward to playing scythe with Rusviet and Crimea not having god-tier peninsulas :D

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Cross posting this from the solo game thread, since it’s not particularly designed for solo. It’s a solid enough game I figured I’d put my review here too.

Tried Deck Box Dungeon, made it through several rooms and encounters before I had to stop so I didn’t get to the boss but first impression is positive.

It is paired with an app, as you go through the dungeon you hit a button that reveals the next tile/room. Once in the room it tells you what is spawning, or extra objectives. It’s my first experience playing a board game with an app so I wasn’t sure if I’d like it, turns out I do. It was great I couldn’t see what was coming, didn’t know the story, it’s a pretty simplistic game so i wasn’t blown away or anything, but I could see a lot of potential with it.

It says 1-4 players but you need a second copy to play with 3 or 4. I could not really see playing this with 3-4 people, it’s just not engaging enough. The fighting, character placement, etc isn’t difficult. Timing abilities right is about the only meaningful choice that I saw but I didn’t get all the way to the end so maybe there’s a little more challenge later. I’ll probably try it with my dad at some point, he likes playing quick little games like this.

Overall id say it’s definitely a great little solo game, I’ll definitely take it with me when I travel for work. The components, art, and mechanics are all solid and it all fits in a small deck box.

Good video for it if anyone is interested

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou Do you also have One Deck Dungeon? If so, how would you compare the two?

I do have ODD and DBD kind of reminded me of it due to small dice and being fairly luck / dice based. The component quality and art feels similar too but it ends there. Exploring the rooms and fighting monsters head to head felt more like a dungeon crawler even though it’s fairly simplistic. ODD has a better card variety as far as traps and monsters. DBD has more class/skill/character choices because you can mix and match any of them, lots of combinations. I made a tank and a glass cannon rogue. Items probably adds to that as well but I didn’t really get into them yet, couldn’t afford any by the third room when I had to quit. I’ve only done one dungeon and seen one of the special rules/story portion but I could see a lot of dungeon designs happening with the app portion. That’s one place it probably wins over ODD, it should have more replayability.

I was going to say if you like ODD you’d probably like DBD in my original post but forgot to add it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played through the first quest in Deck Box Dungeons today because my copy came in. It was enjoyable. By the time I got to the last room I owned all the items in the treasure deck. Like sure, I got some lucky rolls on loot but that seemed off to me. The rules are kind of awful. You need to figure a bunch of stuff out on your own. Most the stuff was pretty easy to figure out but still, it should be in the rules. Over all I enjoyed the game and going to throw it in to my Mini's bag to play at the end of the night. The mix of classes, characters and weapons gives it a pretty good amount of replay. The archer set up (bow, wanderer and the guy who has bonus ranged attack) seems really good. I was constantly using his ability to shoot again and again.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played through the first quest in Deck Box Dungeons today because my copy came in. It was enjoyable. By the time I got to the last room I owned all the items in the treasure deck. Like sure, I got some lucky rolls on loot but that seemed off to me. The rules are kind of awful. You need to figure a bunch of stuff out on your own. Most the stuff was pretty easy to figure out but still, it should be in the rules. Over all I enjoyed the game and going to throw it in to my Mini's bag to play at the end of the night. The mix of classes, characters and weapons gives it a pretty good amount of replay. The archer set up (bow, wanderer and the guy who has bonus ranged attack) seems really good. I was constantly using his ability to shoot again and again.

The rules did suck. I watched a video to make sure I understood I was doing things correctly. Are you sure you did the loot right? I mean how many rooms are in a dungeon? I had to quit at room three but I could only afford one or two items.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Each time you kill a monster you roll a d6 and get that much treasure. I had 13 monsters before entering the last room and an event which gave me 3 treasures. My adventure had 5 rooms.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Each time you kill a monster you roll a d6 and get that much treasure. I had 13 monsters before entering the last room and an event which gave me 3 treasures. My adventure had 5 rooms.

Ah. You actually roll the monster die you killed to see how much loot you get, so you get 1-2 per mob, not 1-6.

• 1Like

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Okay so after a few playthroughs of TMB, I'll say I enjoy it. I have 2 major complaints:

1. There is a lack of narrative sometimes and if you're not with fun people it feels mechanical.
2. It just makes me want to play D&D.

#2 is the same complaint I have with Gloomhaven. Also HP management in Gloomhaven as well as initiative is such a chore that I use an app on my tablet, which streamlines it, but then once again makes me ask, why am I simply not playing D&D? The HP and initiative in TMB is great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Okay so after a few playthroughs of TMB, I'll say I enjoy it. I have 2 major complaints:

1. There is a lack of narrative sometimes and if you're not with fun people it feels mechanical.
2. It just makes me want to play D&D.

#2 is the same complaint I have with Gloomhaven. Also HP management in Gloomhaven as well as initiative is such a chore that I use an app on my tablet, which streamlines it, but then once again makes me ask, why am I simply not playing D&D? The HP and initiative in TMB is great.

Isn’t d&d more of a planning headache and time commitment though? If you look at it as a quick fix for dnd that may help your feelings on it.

• 1Like