Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Played board games tonight for the first time in a really long time. Played Clank with 3 others. Was a good time. Dude got flying carpet and ran away with the game!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
have played Tapestry about a dozen times now, about 4-5 of them with the new modified starting rules for civs. Its balanced a little better I think but still some crazy combinations / wild luck can make for a runaway game. Highest score we have had is 337, lowest is 70ish.

Its fun enough though and pretty lightweight so it hits the table prolly once a week but you are not going to consistently win at it if everyone is playing correctly as a lot is going to come down to luck. For a family game its not bad if everyone knows that going in and regular gamers will pick up on the rules pretty quickly but I dont think it would be good for a hardcore group.

As a side note it looks like Gloomhaven is 86 bucks on Amazon today

We just played Tapestry last night for the first time. We had no notion of the aforementioned balance changes and the game was won by the Traders. Granted it was our first time playing so we were all going in blind in terms of what was possible.

I really enjoyed the game. Seems like a combination of Scythe and Terraforming Mars, which are both games I love.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
We just played Tapestry last night for the first time. We had no notion of the aforementioned balance changes and the game was won by the Traders. Granted it was our first time playing so we were all going in blind in terms of what was possible.

I really enjoyed the game. Seems like a combination of Scythe and Terraforming Mars, which are both games I love.

Yeah I have played about 5 games with the balance suggestions on the website, none are game breaking but they do help give a few of the weaker civs a boost early in the game when its needed most. You are really at the mercy of the tapestry cards you get, some are really only worth about 3-5 points each and some can be almost game breaking, but it keeps a nice randomness to it. We have still never had a winner get over 300 points yet, I think closest we have had in 15 games is 260ish points and that was with powerhouse draws on tapestry cards in a 3 player game. Most of our 3 player games end up with the winner being in the 180 - 220 point range, and the losing players being around 150-130.

I agree with it being a Scythe / TM combo type game and it is a bit quicker than Terraforming Mars (especially with expansions). Less control over your engine building than either of those games, but its easy enough that people can pick it up in a game or two and there is probably less strategy layers to it which will appeal to some folks as well.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Snagged the complete Marvel Legendary from someone on Facebook for $200. Sooo many cards, 23 expansions. Really looking forward to digging back into this, haven't played much beyond the first couple big boxes. All pretty well organized in Stanley boxes, but going to get some labeled dividers. Played a few games of it this weekend, I love this system just hate the setup/teardown.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Snagged the complete Marvel Legendary from someone on Facebook for $200. Sooo many cards, 23 expansions. Really looking forward to digging back into this, haven't played much beyond the first couple big boxes. All pretty well organized in Stanley boxes, but going to get some labeled dividers. Played a few games of it this weekend, I love this system just hate the setup/teardown.

The legendary system is good, the only times we've had problems is when we either get screwed on random draw heros (get a board of nothing but shit tier/support heroes), or grown ass men become 6 again and throw a fit because you keep taking all "his" Hulk cards.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
The legendary system is good, the only times we've had problems is when we either get screwed on random draw heros (get a board of nothing but shit tier/support heroes), or grown ass men become 6 again and throw a fit because you keep taking all "his" Hulk cards.

So true. 'Oh, someone took the card that only worked for my deck, thanks'

You can set people up to be triggered real good too by putting a wound-generating hero in the hero deck and nothing to help remove the wounds :trollface:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
FUCK TAPESTRY!!! (LOL)

Had a second game this time with 5 players and I made the colossal error of picking Historians. Historians are super cool in a 2 player game and can be really strong in even a 3 player game, but in a 5 player game they can be (and in my case were) total horseshit. I scored not a single victory point nor resource from my Civilization at all. The fact that I still came in second was a miracle.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Played the Reckoners, board game based on the Sanderson books. Really cool co-op had a blast even though we lost(on hard and by one round).

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Another fun night of Tabletop Simulator, some Captain is Dead.

1585504530172.png

Last weekend it was BSG.

1585504596583.png

1585504622631.png

And we also started a play-through of Pandemic Legacy.

1585504728116.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Now that people have gotten used to Tabletop Simulator, a few of us are not sure we'll ever get out the more complex games again in person.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Frosthaven looking like it's going to hit 5million before its first 24h on kickstarter are done.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Last time I tried tabletop Sim, I found it a bit too complex to setup and do stuff. Is it easier now? Or just better youtubes and tutorials around for it?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Last time I tried tabletop Sim, I found it a bit too complex to setup and do stuff. Is it easier now? Or just better youtubes and tutorials around for it?

The nicer games have scripts that do it for you. Honestly it’s just playing it for a couple hours to get used to everything. Once you do most of the game’s are pretty easy to play.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
We started everyone out with a game of Uno. Whenever we added anyone new, we played a couple rounds of that. Going into a game knowing how to draw, manage your hand, place cards on a stack, etc makes things a bit less daunting.

The scripts to setup and manage some of these games are pretty amazing.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Anyone here playing FFg Marvel Champions. They just announced a big box campaign for later this summer (quarentine willing) that will be the rise of Hydra. Found it to be a pretty tight coop game that scales really well between 1 and 4 players.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love it. Probably the best FFG card game yet. Everything announced seems cool I just hope absorbing man isn't too fiddly.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone here playing FFg Marvel Champions. They just announced a big box campaign for later this summer (quarentine willing) that will be the rise of Hydra. Found it to be a pretty tight coop game that scales really well between 1 and 4 players.
I was typing up the love hate I have with the game but this explains it perfectly.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That guy sounds like all of his issues are in his head.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been playing quite a few games of Everdell lately, the family seems to enjoy it. Artwork is cute and the setup and play is pretty easy, my 10 year old caught on quickly. There is enough cards that you can get pretty good replayability through the base game. We opened up the Pearlbrook expansion and played 3-4 games with that and it adds a nice extra layer. Will probably look to trickle in Bellfaire and Spirecrest expansions over the next 8-10 playthroughs

all in all, I am pleased with the game, its still competitive but nobody is ever really out of it, all of our scores have been decently tight, no huge blowouts.