Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Edge of Darkness has proven to be pretty good game with my group. 8 turns + a prologue for setup, card crafting, worker placement with some cube drops thru a dice tower to simulate some random minor combat. The art is off the chain pretty, but set up and take down are a tad long. Its not cheap, but pretty amazing replayability too.

Anyone played reavers of midgard yet?

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Tainted Grail has started shipping! I got my notification yesterday, estimated arrival is 11/19/19, so hopefully I'll be playing this next week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tainted Grail has started shipping! I got my notification yesterday, estimated arrival is 11/19/19, so hopefully I'll be playing this next week.

Im stoked for it, I’ve read it’s fantastic. Where are you located?

I’ve seen more than one person say it’s like Gloomhaven and 7th Continent combined. Sounds good to me!

Last edited:

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Im stoked for it, I’ve read it’s fantastic. Where are you located?

I’ve seen more than one person say it’s like Gloomhaven and 7th Continent combined. Sounds good to me!

I'm in California. I ordered just the Core Box, but with Sundrop. I think the Sundrop boxes got shipped first. It sounds like US fulfillment should be completed by mid-December at the latest.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Got my core box last week. They are as gorgeous as I expected.

Edit: fixed photo. More in painted mini thread.

20191114_191746.jpg

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got my core box last week. They are as gorgeous as I expected.

View attachment 231170

Mind posting a few closeups not blurry? I’d like to see detail on their sun drop, curious what they’re doing.

Can throw it in the mini painting thread if you don’t want to clutter up this thread.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck, maybe I should have got sundrop :(

It’s really quick and easy to do yourself. Prime it with a neutral/beige, then wash it with a brown or sepia. You can do it with any color if you want it slightly different, I’ve seen them sundrop with blues, reds. They posted their process in one of their updates for either tainted grail or the edge, I’ll see if I can find it this weekend if you’re interested.

Once I get my copy I’ll do mine and post results and process if you want.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Army Painter Dip would work as well. I prefer it for its consistency but it will usually need a round of dull coat afterwards.

Maul

Dental Dammer
It’s really quick and easy to do yourself. Prime it with a neutral/beige, then wash it with a brown or sepia. You can do it with any color if you want it slightly different, I’ve seen them sundrop with blues, reds. They posted their process in one of their updates for either tainted grail or the edge, I’ll see if I can find it this weekend if you’re interested.

Once I get my copy I’ll do mine and post results and process if you want.
I'm not a painter myself, I love minis though but they look garbage unpainted, would be really interested in seeing how yours turn out. What colour were you thinking of? The sundrop ones really suit the grim feel of the game I think.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not a painter myself, I love minis though but they look garbage unpainted, would be really interested in seeing how yours turn out. What colour were you thinking of? The sundrop ones really suit the grim feel of the game I think.

I’ll probably do similar to the ones they’re shipping now, I have a neutral primer, think I’ll try a sepia wash on top of that and see how it looks.

Sundrop is the technique they’re doing, not a specific color. I think it’s just their own name they came up with for their specific way of priming/washing. The have sundrop options for other games they do and they’re like pink, blue, yellow, etc.

You don’t really need to be a painter to do it, it’s pretty easy to make it look good. Army painters soft tone would be a good buy to do a large batch without experience.

Edit: I found an update with some other color Sundrop models. Update #54 shows several colors, as does update #40. In #40 there’s a link to update #18 which goes into detail about how to do it.

Last edited:
  • 1Weird Boner

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This could be interesting, will keep my eye on it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stonemaeier Games released their first wave of civ balance changes for Tapestry, gonna try em out tonight. Unfortunately I don't think they'll fix the game for most people. Game basically needs an expansion with a full replacement Tapestry deck. Which is bad when that mechanic is literally the name of your game.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I only played once but I didn't think the tapestry deck was awful. I do wish they had sorted it by age. Turning from constitutional monarchy in to pirates is....

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Picked up Terraforming Mars/Concordia/Keyflower today on sale since our group needed more 5 player boardgames. Scythe 5 player is rapidly growing unenjoyable. The Modular Map may have actually hurt more than it helped, as at least on the baseboard the starting peninsulas are all functional (well, except Nords when they get flanked by russia and the celts in the same game). Playing the game with shit peninsulas for everyone but the first and second picks did not actually make it more enjoyable.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
have played Tapestry about a dozen times now, about 4-5 of them with the new modified starting rules for civs. Its balanced a little better I think but still some crazy combinations / wild luck can make for a runaway game. Highest score we have had is 337, lowest is 70ish.

Its fun enough though and pretty lightweight so it hits the table prolly once a week but you are not going to consistently win at it if everyone is playing correctly as a lot is going to come down to luck. For a family game its not bad if everyone knows that going in and regular gamers will pick up on the rules pretty quickly but I dont think it would be good for a hardcore group.

As a side note it looks like Gloomhaven is 86 bucks on Amazon today

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I still love Gloomhave but, and everyone seems to have an issue with partz of the game, i don't play it regularly and i forget what i was trying to do and where i was in the story.