Board Games

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have those chairs.
They’re pretty much perfect for a table like this. Previously we had normal kitchen table height chairs. The nice thing about them was you could lean back and fit your legs under the table but the height was just too low. You had to get up constantly because this table is so wide you could not reach or see anything. These you can sit like a barstool and lean forward easily to reach everything. Much easier to see and read the stuff on the table too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you can get the Level Up stands?
1633108810250.png

You can stash banker type shit under the board or player boards in games where visibility is not as big a deal. And everyone can see the board state. It works awesome with games like Heroes of Land Sea and Air, Pipeline, Root, or Beyond the Sun in our experience.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If you can get the Level Up stands?View attachment 375254
You can stash banker type shit under the board or player boards in games where visibility is not as big a deal. And everyone can see the board state. It works awesome with games like Heroes of Land Sea and Air, Pipeline, Root, or Beyond the Sun in our experience.
I’ve seen those and thought it was a good idea for small tables. Thought about getting one for my dad. I don’t need one, the sunken area on mine is 4x6. With covers on it 5x7. Big enough to have my largest game, kingdom death, completely out without space issues.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Well I spent my downtime while at the hunting cabin learning Mage Knight. It's pretty fantastic so far but a mutherfucker to learn. If this just took a little less room it'd be my solo game of choice easily. As it is it takes over the table which means it's an occasional play. It's highly recommended if you have the room and want a solid complex solo game. I'm pretty tired of Gloomhaven, thank goodness i backed out of Frosthaven, and Townsfolk Tussle isn't coming for a month or two. Mage Knight will get some solid play for the next month. Hopefully I'll be ready to teach it by then.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well I spent my downtime while at the hunting cabin learning Mage Knight. It's pretty fantastic so far but a mutherfucker to learn. If this just took a little less room it'd be my solo game of choice easily. As it is it takes over the table which means it's an occasional play. It's highly recommended if you have the room and want a solid complex solo game. I'm pretty tired of Gloomhaven, thank goodness i backed out of Frosthaven, and Townsfolk Tussle isn't coming for a month or two. Mage Knight will get some solid play for the next month. Hopefully I'll be ready to teach it by then.
I bought Mage Knight for my dad. He plays it solo quite a bit, really likes it. I played it once and enjoyed it, I may borrow it and try my luck at a solo run this winter.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Whats your take on dice thrones?
It’s very good. Excellent components, plays quickly, and extremely well balanced. We’ve had more ties or “down to the last turn” games than any other competitive game I have. Gold standard for packaging and organization. Hits the table more than any other game I have.

I have the premium character sleeves and I picked up the geek bits for it too. Unnecessary but we play it so much why not. They’re a lot easier to see sitting on your mat than the stock cardboard chits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
1) are those chairs at the same level as the base of your table? I could see that being a knee-wrecking state of affairs
2) is that a snake under the table?
Yes, you can’t get under the table, you sit away from the table slightly and lean forward. I have back issues so I was worried about that but it’s worked out well. We did a four hour sessions and I had no issues. You can sit back when not your turn and relax into the back rest. No bashed knees yet, were conscious that it can happen. So far they’ve actually been more comfortable than the normal sized chairs we were using before. Long sessions with those were wrecking us.

Yes, my son and his friend built a fort under there with every weapon they could think of. Nerf guns, swords, and an “attack snake.” He just left it when I asked him to clear everything out, probably to try to scare someone.

Maul

Dental Dammer
It’s very good. Excellent components, plays quickly, and extremely well balanced. We’ve had more ties or “down to the last turn” games than any other competitive game I have. Gold standard for packaging and organization. Hits the table more than any other game I have.

I have the premium character sleeves and I picked up the geek bits for it too. Unnecessary but we play it so much why not. They’re a lot easier to see sitting on your mat than the stock cardboard chits.
Ive been looking at it for a while for my kids to play, they enjoy the fast gameplay and not too insane rules (jaws of the lion is their absolute limit), the sets seem all over the place though and its not clear what you actually need to start playing, I suffer from fomo as well so id have to hoover up the entire content before ill consider playing it :(

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ive been looking at it for a while for my kids to play, they enjoy the fast gameplay and not too insane rules (jaws of the lion is their absolute limit), the sets seem all over the place though and its not clear what you actually need to start playing, I suffer from fomo as well so id have to hoover up the entire content before ill consider playing it :(
You can play with any of the sets of two. I’d suggest samurai vs gunslinger pack first, they’re the most straightforward. Barbarian vs moon elf is fairly straightforward too. Monk vs paladin is another good one, a little more complex than the first two. Everyone is balanced against everyone else so just pick which looks best to you and buy a pack every so often. Doesn’t matter which season, they’re all balanced to play an

The most complex are the treant, the artificer, the huntress, the pirate and the shadow thief. They aren’t bad, just hold off on those until you have others and understand the game well.

I’ve played this with non gamers too and everyone loves it. Took it to a public gaming get together and everyone ended up wanting in line to play next. It also plays well with 3-4 people, on teams or all versus all.

Edit: I was browsing Amazon and saw they have a limited selection on the boxes. I went to Roxley’s site and saw they have the refilled s1 box available for $89. I’d suggest doing that. You get 8 characters and the really nice box you see on my table to hold them all, as opposed to a box for each set of two with the versus boxes on Amazon.

Season 2 for the same price as well, it’s on back order until next month though.

Maybe order s1, if they like it order s2. It’s cheaper than Amazon as they’re anywhere from $25-40 for each set of two, and they’re not all available. Plus the full box is incredible for storage and easy of setup.

Last edited:

Maul

Dental Dammer
You can play with any of the sets of two. I’d suggest samurai vs gunslinger pack first, they’re the most straightforward. Barbarian vs moon elf is fairly straightforward too. Monk vs paladin is another good one, a little more complex than the first two. Everyone is balanced against everyone else so just pick which looks best to you and buy a pack every so often. Doesn’t matter which season, they’re all balanced to play an

The most complex are the treant, the artificer, the huntress, the pirate and the shadow thief. They aren’t bad, just hold off on those until you have others and understand the game well.

I’ve played this with non gamers too and everyone loves it. Took it to a public gaming get together and everyone ended up wanting in line to play next. It also plays well with 3-4 people, on teams or all versus all.

Edit: I was browsing Amazon and saw they have a limited selection on the boxes. I went to Roxley’s site and saw they have the refilled s1 box available for $89. I’d suggest doing that. You get 8 characters and the really nice box you see on my table to hold them all, as opposed to a box for each set of two with the versus boxes on Amazon.

Season 2 for the same price as well, it’s on back order until next month though.

Maybe order s1, if they like it order s2. It’s cheaper than Amazon as they’re anywhere from $25-40 for each set of two, and they’re not all available. Plus the full box is incredible for storage and easy of setup.
Whats the dice throne adventures? I really need to research this more but asking you is far easier :D

I need to be careful actually looking into this, Too many bones has another expansion coming out and I really wanted to go all in on it to get everything released so far.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I've seen season 1 2nd Ed come up pretty regularly on BGG. You could probably pick up the pack for the cost of roughly 2 characters new

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Whats the dice throne adventures? I really need to research this more but asking you is far easier :D

I need to be careful actually looking into this, Too many bones has another expansion coming out and I really wanted to go all in on it to get everything released so far.
Adventures is a dungeon crawler and more complicated than the base game. It’s a coop and the games take longer, setup takes longer, etc. It doesn’t really play like dice throne, it just uses the characters and stuff. it’s cool for what it is but the base game fighting each other is more fun and fast paced.

I suggest going with s1/s2 first.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

TMB is getting an expansion say what?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I like Dice Throne, it has actually caught the group's attention pretty well. Basically I call it Battle Yahtzee around here. I played Yahtzee a little bit growing up, but it wasn't really my favorite. The implementation of HP and the cards really helps it out though and makes the game pretty fun, while still being very simple so kids and non gamers can pick it up quickly.

I would very much disagree that all the classes are balanced, however. The Tactician, Monk, Vampire Lord, Huntress and Ninja are all on a tier lower than any of the other characters. Huntress has never won a game without rolling an Ultimate, and the others have never won a game period on my table - and it's not even like they lost a close game either. They are all absolute routs.

However, the rest of them are pretty balanced and offer varying ways to achieve goals which all feel good, and even the B squad is pretty balanced within themselves as well. Generally when one of us picks a B squad character, we'll all grab B squad characters so as not to completely embarrass the guy who felt like changing it up. Last night we tried 2v2 with Pure DPS vs pure mitigation (Artificer/Cursed Pirate vs Paladin/Seraph) and I was pretty impressed with how close the games were.

It's a fun thing we play when the whole group isn't around for Gloomhaven, which, by the way, there's a custom PnP expansion coming out with some community designed custom classes and scenarios. You can get in on ordering it from a professional print shop if you want too. www.thecrimsonscales.com

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like Dice Throne, it has actually caught the group's attention pretty well. Basically I call it Battle Yahtzee around here. I played Yahtzee a little bit growing up, but it wasn't really my favorite. The implementation of HP and the cards really helps it out though and makes the game pretty fun, while still being very simple so kids and non gamers can pick it up quickly.

I would very much disagree that all the classes are balanced, however. The Tactician, Monk, Vampire Lord, Huntress and Ninja are all on a tier lower than any of the other characters. Huntress has never won a game without rolling an Ultimate, and the others have never won a game period on my table - and it's not even like they lost a close game either. They are all absolute routs.

However, the rest of them are pretty balanced and offer varying ways to achieve goals which all feel good, and even the B squad is pretty balanced within themselves as well. Generally when one of us picks a B squad character, we'll all grab B squad characters so as not to completely embarrass the guy who felt like changing it up. Last night we tried 2v2 with Pure DPS vs pure mitigation (Artificer/Cursed Pirate vs Paladin/Seraph) and I was pretty impressed with how close the games were.

It's a fun thing we play when the whole group isn't around for Gloomhaven, which, by the way, there's a custom PnP expansion coming out with some community designed custom classes and scenarios. You can get in on ordering it from a professional print shop if you want too. www.thecrimsonscales.com
Are all your players similar in strategy/skill? We’ve found the tactician, vampire, and monk are pretty good. They have so many options with their ability things they accumulate. The huntress I agree can be tough, she has really odd dice combinations and “whiffs” more than any character. We’ve still won battles with her though. The ninja is pretty basic and can be kind of weak if he’s failing to poison the opponent too much. I spanked someone with the ninja over the weekend, I got him with like 6 or 7 delayed poisons and he had no way to get rid of them.

Of those characters the only one we’ve ever had routs with was the huntress, due to whiffing 3-4 times in one game. You just can’t do that unless the other player is whiffing just as much. We’ve also had routs with the shadow thief multiple times due to not having enough CP to do damage, and the artificer a couple times, just because he’s such a late game character and the other person isn’t. Of all the characters the only two that people are hesitant to take are those two.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Are all your players similar in strategy/skill? We’ve found the tactician, vampire, and monk are pretty good. They have so many options with their ability things they accumulate. The huntress I agree can be tough, she has really odd dice combinations and “whiffs” more than any character. We’ve still won battles with her though. The ninja is pretty basic and can be kind of weak if he’s failing to poison the opponent too much. I spanked someone with the ninja over the weekend, I got him with like 6 or 7 delayed poisons and he had no way to get rid of them.

Of those characters the only one we’ve ever had routs with was the huntress, due to whiffing 3-4 times in one game. You just can’t do that unless the other player is whiffing just as much. We’ve also had routs with the shadow thief multiple times due to not having enough CP to do damage, and the artificer a couple times, just because he’s such a late game character and the other person isn’t. Of all the characters the only two that people are hesitant to take are those two.

Yeah, mostly. We all picked up the game simultaneously...I bought them all obviously, but didn't really play any until the whole group got together. Our learning curve is basically the same. That being said, we're still learning intracacies of each character and how you have to play them differently. Maybe it'll pick up once we learn all the status effects by heart and understand what it really "means" to be playing against a particular opponent, but for now, they sure seem weak.