Board Games

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Eye watering price for the whole set, close to £1000 for everything with taxes and shipping!

Thinking I'd rather have an all in for dice throne marvel over this.
Yeah full set hurts the wallet for sure, luckly I bought it over time. It is a huge hit in the house and I could play it every day so I have zero issues with the price.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
Yeah full set hurts the wallet for sure, luckly I bought it over time. It is a huge hit in the house and I could play it every day so I have zero issues with the price.
Fuck sake this isnt the type of post I need to be reading right now!

Can drop the price a bit by skipping on the fluff items like all those journals, still around 700-800 though depending on the prices of all those promo packs that you can only add in the pledge manager

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
That Trove box storage solution at $150 is nothing to sneeze at either. But I can confirm it is a good game with some serious quality components.

I'd say if you are new or on the fence, check out the new content and grab the base game from them directly for the same price minus the usual shitshow that is shipping from crowdfunding projects. There are now how many playable characters? 12? more? You don't need that many right away and you can pick up more as you go if you like it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Can drop the price a bit by skipping on the fluff items like all those journals, still around 700-800 though depending on the prices of all those promo packs that you can only add in the pledge manager
I can’t believe you’re waffling. TMB and DT are both amazing top tier. Don’t be a scrub.

In seriousness, don’t worry about the non game content. Decide how much game content you want and go for that. If money is a concern go with core game, add game content with a price point you’re comfy with. You won’t regret anything really, it’s all top notch, gameplay and quality. The non game content is just like collectors editions type junk that no one really needs.

Last edited:
  • 1Weird Boner

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Just get the base game and 40 days in daelore, will hold you for a while, then scale up with more heroes and such.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Can confirm, TMB is a top 3 game for me and my family. I also bought the game piecemeal over time, and I am well over $500. That being said, for price/times played, it's been a bargain compared to other games.

I would never advise anyone to go all-in on something they have no experience with, especially something in the $1000 range. You do save a little bit of money purchasing via KS or Gamefound, but CTG is a very reputable company, and they never do KS exclusives, so you won't miss out on anything by waiting. The only downside is slightly higher price and availability.

There are 3 starting points now......the Core Box ($130), Undertow ($90), and the new Unbreakable ($90). The downside to Unbreakable is you can't get it yet, you will have to wait for fulfillment. Personally, I can't imagine owning TMB without owning the Core Box, so unless money is an issue that is what I would advise as a starting point for just about everyone. Core Box and Undertow are both currently available for USA delivery, which takes a couple of weeks.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Money isnt a concern, but I suffer from bad fomo and would have to get all the added fluff like the deluxe chips and the storage box etc. Bad timing for this to drop at the same time as dice throne!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
TMB campaign over 1.4m already. That’s awesome for them, their largest campaign in the past just barely cleared 1m. They’re really deserving of the success. They’ve taken money loss in the past just to make their fans happy. Upgrading the gearloc mats to the latest design at cost for everyone who already owned the game. Every customer complaint gets resolved quickly and correctly. I’ve met them at conventions, they’re really nice and really just care about their game and how people perceive it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been playing a ton of Oceans (sequelish to Evolution) and Red Cathedral lately, along with Beyond the Sun. Not sure why, but minimalist games have been the recent fad in our group and those are the best we have played, outside of The Crew and Hans Tuetonica. Simple rules, deep strategy.

But my friend has been bugging me forever to play On Mars, so going to take a crack at that beast. Just reading the rules took me over an hour. It might be the crunchiest game I have ever seen in my live, and I played TI3rd with every expansion active.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>

This was posted in the Kickstarter thread and I really love the idea but I'd never get it played at home. Is there a game, I know everyone hates that question, like this but that has a smaller footprint? I'm thinking brewery type game.

My deer camp plays Yahtzee (along with massive amounts of cribbage) and Kismet. So not those. A small footprint 2 player Yahtzee combat game. That'd be awesome to find. I know Dice Throne is popular because maybe that doesn't exist? I'm just asking in case it does.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

This was posted in the Kickstarter thread and I really love the idea but I'd never get it played at home. Is there a game, I know everyone hates that question, like this but that has a smaller footprint? I'm thinking brewery type game.

My deer camp plays Yahtzee (along with massive amounts of cribbage) and Kismet. So not those. A small footprint 2 player Yahtzee combat game. That'd be awesome to find. I know Dice Throne is popular because maybe that doesn't exist? I'm just asking in case it does.
I have played dice throne at a brewery multiple times, it’s fine at a two or four person table. Put the empty trays back in the box and put the box on an extra chair.

With that said, I don’t really know of another similar game with a smaller footprint.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
I have played dice throne at a brewery multiple times, it’s fine at a two or four person table. Put the empty trays back in the box and put the box on an extra chair.

With that said, I don’t really know of another similar game with a smaller footprint.

Yeah I'd say this has a pretty small footprint honestly, especially if all you bring is whatever characters you're going to play (so just 2-4 of the little trays).

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So after zero updates and I kind of forgot about it, Heroquest remake has shipped and will be here Monday. Will let you know if they failed or kicked ass soon!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
So after zero updates and I kind of forgot about it, Heroquest remake has shipped and will be here Monday. Will let you know if they failed or kicked ass soon!

Thanks for the update! I just checked myself....looks like I ordered this back in November 2020. Mine still says pending.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
In a couple of weeks, I'll be going to BGG.Con, looking for recommendations on games to try while I'm there. There will be four of us in this group. I don't have a ton of experience playing games, but so far I have been drawn towards euro worker placement style games, deckbuilding, and general co-op games. Not a huge fan of social deduction games like Avalon, Resistance. The favorites that I've played with another group have been Gloomhaven, Dead of Winter, Lords of Waterdeep, Terra Mystica, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Dominion, and Quacks of Quedlingburg.

I'm ok with RNG dice games so I think I'll check out Dice Throne and Too Many Bones. Any others you bros have to recommend to try while I'm there?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In a couple of weeks, I'll be going to BGG.Con, looking for recommendations on games to try while I'm there. There will be four of us in this group. I don't have a ton of experience playing games, but so far I have been drawn towards euro worker placement style games, deckbuilding, and general co-op games. Not a huge fan of social deduction games like Avalon, Resistance. The favorites that I've played with another group have been Gloomhaven, Dead of Winter, Lords of Waterdeep, Terra Mystica, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Dominion, and Quacks of Quedlingburg.

I'm ok with RNG dice games so I think I'll check out Dice Throne and Too Many Bones. Any others you bros have to recommend to try while I'm there?
Dice Throne and Too Many Bones like you said (TMB is more rng than DT) and if it’s there Aeons End. That’s the best co-op deck builder I’ve played.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Just a reminder that the Too Many Bones campaign ends today. Getting the new content, a couple heroes I missed from the last campaign, and the storage solution. I didn't feel the need to completely 100% my collection so I skipped most of promo packs and accessories, but the total was still a little eye-watering.

I also got a shipping notification for Heroquest a couple days ago as well so that's pretty sweet.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I didn’t back the TMB campaign this time although I’d really like to have the new content. I haven’t been through all my current stuff though so I’m not doing it. Did the same thing with Aeons End. I have a compulsive/completionist problem and I’m trying to break it lol. I just get so much stuff I never get to, so if I haven’t consumed current content for a game series I’m not getting more.

If I ever finish what I do have with TMB I’ll just buy the new stuff in the future. I know it’ll cost me $80-100 more doing it that way but oh well, I’m out of shelf space.

• 1Solidarity