Board Games

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am looking for a 2 player card or other "small table space" game that I can play with my GF who is not a gamer at all. We play cribbage but that is about it. I vaguely remember a card game called Rent, or Lease, or something along those lines where it was supposed to be a fun 2 player game where you build buildings or some such thing. IIRC it was also a classic and has been around for a bit. If not that, any other suggestions is welcomed.
Fluxx or a Fluxx variant could work (and expand out with extra people very well) or Dominion off my head if you want to stick to cards specifically.

Then you've got semi-card ones that are simple like Castle Panic (or Dead Panic/Munchkin Panic) that don't need that much space. [I believe Tabletop did a CP episode]

Fluxx probably would be one of the best if you're looking to break her into other games - since it's a simple game where the rule of the game is breaking rules - which is of course a theme in all the best games (just with far more complex base rules and a bit less common switching than Fluxx). It's actually the "break-in" game we use for any newbies entering our circle since it's simple enough for basically anyone to get and really gives a feel for if they like serious gaming or not.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Any games that are fun 2-3 player table top board games that are mindless and hilarious while high? Mexican train is fun, but only if you have more than two people.

Vaclav

Any games that are fun 2-3 player table top board games that are mindless and hilarious while high? Mexican train is fun, but only if you have more than two people.
Munchkin? Fluxx can be too with some of the goofy variants (i.e. Monty Python Fluxx has some stuff to force you to quote lines or fake accents)

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
After doing a little bit of reading on BGG I came up with the following games that I think might be fun to play with my GF. If any of you have played these before with/without a non-gaming girlfriend, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Battle Line
Catan Card Game
7 Wonders
Lost Cities Board Game
Monopoly Deal
Blokus Duo
Jambo
Caverna (apparently this kicks Agricola's ass)

faille

Molten Core Raider
7 wonders is pretty fun. Played it for the first time only recently but really enjoyed.
Only downside is that it appears to have a really complicated scoring system.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
I own the Cataan card game (pretty much sucks, super formulaic) and have played Caverna which is pretty dang fun although hard to figure out how to and whether you are winning or doing well/badly. Caverna also suffers from the Rosenberg hard as fuck rules to decipher problem. El Internet has plenty of how to vids though.
It is "better" than Agricola because there are waaaay more ways to go about things. Lots and lots and lots of ways to play and still do well. Only played it twice though so..

Vaclav

Only played 7 Wonders on that list, it's incredibly technical. One of our members likes it a lot, and I think it's a good game, but it seems to turn off the nonhardcore.

faille

Molten Core Raider

New Season of Tabletop!
This show is what got me into board games more seriously since it opened my eyes to what was available beyond monopoly and pictionary.

moontayle

Golden Squire
After doing a little bit of reading on BGG I came up with the following games that I think might be fun to play with my GF. If any of you have played these before with/without a non-gaming girlfriend, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Battle Line
Catan Card Game
7 Wonders
Lost Cities Board Game
Monopoly Deal
Blokus Duo
Jambo
Caverna (apparently this kicks Agricola's ass)
Monopoly Deal is a good one. Nice and quick.

On another topic, I'm going to be backing this soon:Steampunk Rally by Gavan Brown of Roxley Games KickstarterA friend of mine raved about it after he went through a couple of playtest sessions over the summer.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Played Shadowrun:Crossfire last night. Cooperative deck building game rather like Pathfinder (board game that is).

We got our assets kicked the first time, but the second try we managed to carefully strategize our way to victory. Only downside with these Campaign style builder games is not really knowing if you will ever play again with the same people and the upgrades take a lot of games to earn. In that respect I think Risk Legacy has a better campaign mode.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Monopoly Deal is a good one. Nice and quick.

On another topic, I'm going to be backing this soon:Steampunk Rally by Gavan Brown of Roxley Games KickstarterA friend of mine raved about it after he went through a couple of playtest sessions over the summer.
Holy shit thanks. I'm on such a Galaxy Trucker kick lately and a month ago I downloaded the old school Wacky Races to watch with my son. This is the easiest Kickstarter to back ever for me.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Marvel: Legendary is fun. It's kind of like Ascension meets duckshoot. I got it for my brother and we like it, but the other family members including his son hate it, which is a drag. Getting him expansions for Christmas would be easy gift, but like with my gaming history - the nongamers ruin it for the rest of us

King of Tokyo is win, but after probably 20 games it's getting overplayed. King of New York is out, but reviews are bad.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Marvel: Legendary is fun. It's kind of like Ascension meets duckshoot. I got it for my brother and we like it, but the other family members including his son hate it, which is a drag. Getting him expansions for Christmas would be easy gift, but like with my gaming history - the nongamers ruin it for the rest of us

King of Tokyo is win, but after probably 20 games it's getting overplayed. King of New York is out, but reviews are bad.
I hear King of NY is just a little different is all and that its "not as good" because it doesn't have the expansions like Tokyo does. KoT by itself got boring quick for us but the expansions added some spice.

As for Marvel: Legendary, the expansions make it feel tons better. Everything is just better all around. That being said, even with expansions it doesn't get to the table too often for us, though I think its similar reasons to yours and its pretty hit or miss with people.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The complaints of KoNY seem real: Adding components murks up the game. Players fight the board instead of each other, interactions are lost. The games get more fiddly without payoff.

Family Christmas got moved up to Thanksgiving this year, some I'm on the button. My purchase will be .. Titans Tactics, support the bros - and it looks good enough to try. If we cannot please the others, might as well play a quick game with just us 2.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
I looked up some of the games that are going to be featured this year on table top and of course the one that looks the most interesting a casual search on line doesn't find anywhere to buy it. has anyone ever seen or played Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre i looked it up and it looks like a lot of fun but of course i can't find it for sale
smile.png

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I am looking for a 2 player card or other "small table space" game that I can play with my GF who is not a gamer at all. We play cribbage but that is about it. I vaguely remember a card game called Rent, or Lease, or something along those lines where it was supposed to be a fun 2 player game where you build buildings or some such thing. IIRC it was also a classic and has been around for a bit. If not that, any other suggestions is welcomed.
Saw these on Kickstarter:

Omen: A Reign of War. Omega Edition and Omega Edition Deluxe by smallboxgames Kickstarter

Dragonflame - a fiery card game for 2 to 5 players by Minion Games Kickstarter

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So I backed this around $40,000.. its now around $100,000. This game has skyrocketed in popularity. Not sure what the highest Kickstarter boardgames there are but this has to be up there, especially for a no name game from a small company.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
So I backed this around $40,000.. its now around $100,000. This game has skyrocketed in popularity. Not sure what the highest Kickstarter boardgames there are but this has to be up there, especially for a no name game from a small company.
The two that I recall off the top of my head in the same cash category were Ogre ~150k and Robot Turtles 500k+. I actually saw Turtles in Target the other day. Have any other kickstarter funded games made their way to mass distribution? Oh and if you have little ones Robot Turtles is a great logic/programming starter for preschoolers on up and also has box pushing puzzles for older kids/adults and well worth the $20.

edit: Man I wish I could afford the Tesla edition of Steampunk Rally. Synthetic non tearable non warpable cards would be so nice to have when playing with the kids.