Board Games

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
Recent acquisitions for me: Agricola, Lewis and Clark and 7 Wonders. My wife destroys me in Lewis and Clark and Agricola but they are still really fun. Agricola is rough though. It always leaves me feeling like I accomplished almost nothing lol.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Finally got to play Dead of Winter this weekend at a convention and loved it so much I played it three times. Lost each time, twice thanks to great plays by the betrayer but each time I really enjoyed. I can't wait for my copy to come. If it ever does.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Haha, ok, thank you. Appreciate the advice. I'll look elsewhere for a thought-provoking and strategic game. Was hoping what I heard about Diplomacy were exaggerations.
If you are looking for thought provoking and strategic then Wealth of Nations is a superb game for that. There is very little political interaction with players but each players choices effect other players so there is player interaction. It's one of my favorite games by far.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finally got to play Dead of Winter this weekend at a convention and loved it so much I played it three times. Lost each time, twice thanks to great plays by the betrayer but each time I really enjoyed. I can't wait for my copy to come. If it ever does.
Yep, its quite enjoyable - was binging before the holidays started hitting which conflicts directly with all my Meetup's scheduled Thanksgiving -> New Years. But will no doubt go back to binging in 2015.

If you weren't in Aus, I'd offer to buy you a copy at the local Books-A-Million and ship it to you at cost (last I was there they'd still only sold the copy I bought), but I'm sure that would end up being well over $40 in slow-ass shipping or something that would make it not worth going that far.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Got to playAgricola: All Creatures Big and Smallwith the GF over the weekend and she loved it. It is simple enough that a non-gamer can play but has enough choices for someone like me who is a seasoned gamer.

If you are looking for a good 2 player game for you and the wife / GF / etc., get it.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Yep, its quite enjoyable - was binging before the holidays started hitting which conflicts directly with all my Meetup's scheduled Thanksgiving -> New Years. But will no doubt go back to binging in 2015.

If you weren't in Aus, I'd offer to buy you a copy at the local Books-A-Million and ship it to you at cost (last I was there they'd still only sold the copy I bought), but I'm sure that would end up being well over $40 in slow-ass shipping or something that would make it not worth going that far.
Cheers, but yeah, the shipping kills any option of sending it over. It's really quite frustrating, especially as someone who's so used to digital products and having easy access to anything.
Still, I'm glad I got to play it before buying now so I know I won't regret the purchase.

The other game I played I think I'm going to describe as having 5 betrayers. We were on the mission to survive x rounds and started with 8 helpless survivors. First crossroads card was the option for everyone to get another characters but also add 5 more helpless survivors. Everyone was new to the game so we all wanted the extra characters but that fucked us up so badly. We got swamped by zombies while eventually starving to death.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Any recommendation for a great new game (2014) to get a board gamer? I'm trying to come up with gift ideas for someone who tends to already have anything deemed "classic" in terms of games so what is the latest hotness from this year?

Taloo_sl

shitlord
LGS finally got in a copy of Betrayal at House on the Hill. You can only order 1/week due to demand and since I can't play it in the near future I let them keep it to demo on game night and just paid for the next copy they get in. Been wanting that fucker ever since I saw it on Tabletop.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I bought the first edition Betrayal years ago after I played it a few times. I just had to have it. Unfortunately this was near the end of the life cycle of the first edition and before the second edition was printed so I paid a pretty penny for mine. Still play it now and then, I think it was worth it.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Any recommendation for a great new game (2014) to get a board gamer? I'm trying to come up with gift ideas for someone who tends to already have anything deemed "classic" in terms of games so what is the latest hotness from this year?
Imperial Settlersis a fun game and it just came out a month or so ago. Fun game that appeals to both the hard core board gamers as well as the wife / girlfriend although I would say it leans more towards the gamer on the side of complexity.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I bought the first edition Betrayal years ago after I played it a few times. I just had to have it. Unfortunately this was near the end of the life cycle of the first edition and before the second edition was printed so I paid a pretty penny for mine. Still play it now and then, I think it was worth it.
Yeah I think it would last a while and still be fun even after a few dozen play throughs. The variance in characters, how long you have before the haunt, variety of haunts, and random selection of the traitor seems like it would keep the game "fresh" for a really really long time.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Star Realms if they don't have it. This 15 dollar deck builder is worth every penny.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Star Realms if they don't have it. This 15 dollar deck builder is worth every penny.
Careful with that, I hear it runs out of steam rather quickly. Though for only 15 bucks its still probably worth it. I may pick it up eventually but I know what to expect.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Download the free app for Star Realms and play it some, I've found it lasts and lasts
smile.png
We played 4 player the other day and it was super fun.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hyperboria and Francis Drake are two great games that both have multiple stratigies to win, amazing production value and just loads of replayability. Best I can recomend is checking them out at boardgamegeek as they are just to crunchy to describe and do them justice. For a 2 player game, Battle for Souls is a totally awesome all in one head to head card game.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I saw people playing Hyberboria at bgg con and it looked cool but it was easily the most expensive game there. I haven't played it but it would have to be something special to drop $100 on.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I doubt it was the most expensive game at BGGcon. I am sure the Avalon Hill version of Dune was there someplace which usually goes for 200ish. Ogre (which I know was there) is like $125 at discount places, never seen it at a retailer
smile.png
For Reference Hyporbea is 60 bucks at the same online stores.

100 for a game isn't all that rare. When working for CMON at Gencon a couple years ago I sold almost 200 boxes a day of Super Dungeon Explore at 100 bucks a pop. (I made 10 bucks an hour in credit for doing so..... FUCK YEAH!)

faille

Molten Core Raider
Anyone tried Star Wars Imperial Assault?
Looks really cool, and I'd love to pick it up, but don't really have the group to play through the campaign of it.
Still only played 1 game of descent!