Board Games

Woffer

Lord Nagafen Raider
SW: Imperial Assault is supposed to have a 1v1 skirmish game mode where you build "armies" and go at it. So even if you can't get a full grp together it might be worth it.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
IA is almost exactly a Descent reskin. If you own Descent there is literally no reason to buy the base game. I have played the skirmish mode. It is fun but you really don't need the game to play it. You need like one copy between 4 or 5 people since they are releasing all figures separately.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It's quite cool. It's a Descent reskin, but it has some important and significant improvements that make it a worthy purchase even if you own D2E. I'm loving mine.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Friends and I hate Descent because we'd rather all be co-op instead of someone having to play DM, lol.

Played betrayal at house on the hill last weekend, that's a really fun game even though I became the traitor and lost. Looking forward to more rounds of that.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got Marvel Legendary over Christmas, I'd played it before and liked it so we picked it up. The urge to buy all the expansions already is strong though, haha.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
After buying some heavy games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Galaxy Trucker, and Smash Up I've been trying more easy going games. Really love Takenoko. Decent amount of strategy involved, hardly any setup, the theme is different from many games, and the games are around 45 minutes with 4 players.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Got three expansions for Smash Up (Chtulu, Awesome, Sci-Fi) which is good because the original 8 were getting stale. Also picked up Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Netrunner, and Catan Junior. Game nights just got a little bit better.
smile.png

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I have played Pandemic in the past and it was fun but never owned a copy myself. I hear they are going to be releasing a "Risk Legacy" type version where you permanently mark up / change the board for it and that sounds awesome. Speaking of Risk Legacy, has anyone played it in here and how did they like it?

moontayle

Golden Squire
I know they have two expansions, On the Brink and In the Lab that add some elements to the game but nothing like Risk Legacy, which would be awesome I think.

I have not played Risk legacy myself but I've heard about it from a few people and most tend to enjoy it. It's still Risk, which in and of itself can be a chore, but the new elements make it interesting enough to keep people coming back until you run out of packets.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, i like the general idea, just not the gist that it's basically a disposable board game
tongue.png

Especially with how our pandemic games go... fail, fail, fail, win (which means someone did the deck wrong, fail, fail, win for real!, fail, fail, etc.

Actually would be neat if they built it in a way that you basically evolved it into a base game of Pandemic as we know it now but with some mutators as a result of a previously played 'campaign' ... which is I guess what would happen either way if you played it w/out packets if it's built the same way.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
We usually do some house rules with Pandemic and surprisingly they work out well. Especially our 5 player co-op rules. I was surprised how well they work out without any testing. Instead of getting stomped or losing just barely, we usually win within one of two turns of defeat. Though often its more about running out of time(cards) and not about outbreaks.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Picked up 7 wonders, Bruges and Mountains of Maddness is in the mail from Amazon. Now if friends and family will settle down from the holidays, might get to play some!

Looking to be a great year for board games.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
Played about 5 games of Pandemic with family in St. Louis. I think we won one time, every loss was about a 1-4 turns from winning. Picked up Dead Panic, Castle Panic (for a family member), and Krosmaster. Looking forward to playing them soon.

Anyone here ever play D&D board game or Mice and Mystics?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Sorry if this has been covered in here before, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good 2-player game? Looking for something the girlfriend and I can play without inviting a bunch of people over. Thanks.

Edit: Guess I should add that I prefer strategy over games that come down to the luck of the draw/roll, but I don't know what's available for 2 people. I'm guessing some sort of MTG type card game would be the main option.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just picked up Tsuro and Dixit. I'm a filthy casual when it comes to board games, but only because I have nobody to play the high-end stuff with. Still, I'm pretty excited to introduce my fellow filthy casuals to something besides Cards Against, Apples to Apples and Trivial Pursuit.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't recommend Ascension. There is very little strategy to it. It's not like Dominion where you all have access to the same cards and must must have a coherent deck. Ascension is grab all of the best cards on your turn, despite whatever else your deck contains.