Board Games

faille

Molten Core Raider
finally got my copy of Dead of Winter!
Now to try and get a game organised...

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I think I found a group of friends I can enjoy playing board games with. 2 of them are only interested in the Cards Against Humanity type games, but the other 5 of us played Small World after that last night. I thought it was alright, but there were just so much information when trying to figure out/remember what each race and skill could do. Also didn't like the tiles to designate races...they weren't very well distinguished from each other and it made counting/finding them annoying at times.

I started with Forest Skeletons and that almost won me the game after getting 4-5 Forest territories, but someone went in decline and got Flying Amazons and his first order of business was wiping out a couple of my territories, so I tried to hold on with some Fortified Elves, but my girlfriend ended up scoring 90 points with her Sorcerers and Goblins, beating my 87.

Was really hoping to get a game of BANG! in, but it was 2am by then. Just really happy to play with people I get along with that are also able to play a game without leaving the table or looking at their phone every 2 minutes.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Smallworld is a great little game. Seems to scale well between it's number of players too. So many 2-5 games are a waste of time with 2 players or even 3.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Anyone here play Dice Masters? Pretty fun little game, and the starter kit (two player kit) is only $14.99. It's fun stuff.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Cheap is relative. A full set costs like 300 on ebay. If you buy the packs it's a minimum of 1 gravity feed per SR in the first set and 1 gravity feed per 2SR in the second set (And gravity feeds went up in price and have more packs in them). In the first set two of the super rares were meta defining (Tsarina and Gobby). It hasn't shaken out to be that so far for set two but I have so few games in after set two has been released that I'm not sure how everything has faired.

I think it's a super game. Eric Lang took Quarriors and got rid of all the issues I had with it and turned it into one of the best games of 2014 in my opinion. I hate WizKids as they always have delivery issues. I hope it picks back up at my FLGS though as it's super fun to play.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Cheap is relative. A full set costs like 300 on ebay. If you buy the packs it's a minimum of 1 gravity feed per SR in the first set and 1 gravity feed per 2SR in the second set (And gravity feeds went up in price and have more packs in them). In the first set two of the super rares were meta defining (Tsarina and Gobby). It hasn't shaken out to be that so far for set two but I have so few games in after set two has been released that I'm not sure how everything has faired.

I think it's a super game. Eric Lang took Quarriors and got rid of all the issues I had with it and turned it into one of the best games of 2014 in my opinion. I hate WizKids as they always have delivery issues. I hope it picks back up at my FLGS though as it's super fun to play.
I meant relative to Magic, Vanguard, Yu-Gi-Oh, Warhammer, etc.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up Netrunner over the weekend. Excited to try it...only have one gaming buddy and my dad though, so who knows how long it will be...wish board gamers were more common and not so nerdy, hard to find someone cool to play with
frown.png

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Picked up Netrunner over the weekend. Excited to try it...only have one gaming buddy and my dad though, so who knows how long it will be...wish board gamers were more common and not so nerdy, hard to find someone cool to play with
frown.png
Here are a couple decks to start with from the single Core Set.
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/22...-core-versions

Let me know if you have any questions or rule clarifications.

This video tutorial is helpful too:

You should also be able to find a weekly group that plays at one of your local gaming stores. That is where I play weekly, it was an open group to join where I live. Some of the guys are a little nerdy, but most seem like average 30ish year old guys.

The people who meet at the same store to play MtG, D&D, and Battletech are WAY WAY nerdier.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone played Game of Thrones? Played half a game last week and it seems fairly complicated.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone played Game of Thrones? Played half a game last week and it seems fairly complicated.
We played it once. Didn't play w/ max players or something so one guy had a lot less pressure and the people who had to fight each other got crushed by him late because he got to the keeps, if I remember it correctly.

Wasn't really a fan.

faille

Molten Core Raider
online played it online via vassel. It's a good wargame combined with diplomacy but you have to like that sort of thing. The layout of the map tends to favour some of the houses I think. At least, if you don't watch them early, they'll storm hard late on. Need to dust it off again since I liked it, but it was fairly long.

Thrawnseg_sl

shitlord
Trying to decide on Arcadia Quest or Super Dungeon Explore Forgotten kings for a co-op/pvp type game without the need for a DM. Everyone seems split on the 2 brands though. Any one here played either?

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Assuming you have a second edition of the game, I believe it has the expansion to the first edition built in, which fixed some of the house balance issues if I remember correctly (Ive only played the first edition).

I also remember it being not near as good of a game with less than max players. Most five player games work fine as 4, this one is not as good from what I remember.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Assuming you have a second edition of the game, I believe it has the expansion to the first edition built in, which fixed some of the house balance issues if I remember correctly (Ive only played the first edition).

I also remember it being not near as good of a game with less than max players. Most five player games work fine as 4, this one is not as good from what I remember.
It pretty much requires max players because of the way the map is laid out. It's a really solid game at max, less then max, not so much.

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Was looking to get into a new card game. Don't feel like getting back into Magic after a 5+ year break. Has anyone played Cardfight, Vanguard? If so, how did you like it? Ran across it a week or so ago but have not seen it play in person yet. Was considering Dice Masters but it's nearly impossible to get the Avengers vs Xmen stuff.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Cardfight Vanguard is a fun game but it relies a lot on card draw. Their packaging mechanic is also pretty funky. The fact that sets do not have cards for every faction is a bit disappointing as well. I would highly suggest buying a couple of their trial packs and trying it out. The trial decks are all pretty good. The other positive for it is that you can buy individual cards pretty cheaply so if you wanted to build a deck and just order the cards you can and not spend nearly as much as you would in other games.

For other card games I would recommend any of the Fantasy Flight LCG's. My favorite is the new Warhammer 40k Conquest. There is a good deck building strategy in it and you also get the opportunity to make real decisions during game play. It's been loads of fun and is taking off here.

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Cardfight Vanguard is a fun game but it relies a lot on card draw. Their packaging mechanic is also pretty funky. The fact that sets do not have cards for every faction is a bit disappointing as well. I would highly suggest buying a couple of their trial packs and trying it out. The trial decks are all pretty good. The other positive for it is that you can buy individual cards pretty cheaply so if you wanted to build a deck and just order the cards you can and not spend nearly as much as you would in other games.

For other card games I would recommend any of the Fantasy Flight LCG's. My favorite is the new Warhammer 40k Conquest. There is a good deck building strategy in it and you also get the opportunity to make real decisions during game play. It's been loads of fun and is taking off here.
Thanks for the quick response. Didn't know sets do not have cards for every faction, that kind of sucks. I will check out Warhammer 40k Conquest

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
There is an Android App (not sure if they have one for iOS) that has pics of all the cards and text for them and what set they are from. Super handy.

For the Warhammer 40k cards I useCardGameDB.com - Articles - Card Game DBwhich used to be a fan site but FFG bought it so now stuff literally hits the deck builder on release day.