Board Games

faille

Molten Core Raider
Saw a good price for star wars imperial assault with free delivery and had to bite. Probably going to end up regretting it :-(

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw a good price for star wars imperial assault with free delivery and had to bite. Probably going to end up regretting it :-(
I've heard good things - if you've played Descent 2E already you should like it similarly though from everything I've heard. (It's on my buylist eventually)

faille

Molten Core Raider
I think it's less about enjoying it and more that I don't really have a regular group to progress through the campaign with.
I've only played descent a couple of times, for the same reason, but have enjoyed that for the most part.
Hopefully if I have my own copy of SWIA, I'll find people willing to play!

Vaclav

Ah, some reason why I've delayed purchasing it. Got a regular group for games in general but not Descent as of yet.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Got my print and play files for Steampunk Rally so I'm going to give that a shot. Actual game comes later this year. Trying to think of a good way to represent the dice without actually needing to buy any (it's going to come with 108 dice, 36 each of blue, red, and yellow).

Vaclav

It's symbol dice that need to be placed IIRC. Don't think an app would jive.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Normal dice but they're integral toward the strategy since they power the steampunk inventions players build. And yes, they actually get placed on the inventions. I'm thinking colored chits, easy enough to print out a grid of colored chits on card stock. Then just use available dice and stack chits to represent the results.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure if this should go in the miniatures thread instead but...

I happened upon this kickstarter by chance on some website I never go to and already forgot about, but it drew my attention because of the subject matter:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan

I like painting minis now and again and this board game has a shitload, and they look amazing. I also love this kind of minatures boardgame like hero quest and warhammer quest. This still has 17 days to go and is already way overfunded so you're guaranteed a whole bunch of bonus stuff. It's very pricey however...
It looks pretty sweet for sure, but between the price and the fact there's already an expansion + a ton of "side" content in the optional section kinda irks me.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Normal dice but they're integral toward the strategy since they power the steampunk inventions players build. And yes, they actually get placed on the inventions. I'm thinking colored chits, easy enough to print out a grid of colored chits on card stock. Then just use available dice and stack chits to represent the results.
If you already have a bunch of white dice just use those and make sure you know which "color" you are rolling beforehand. In order to place the dice on each card IIRC it needs to only be red / whatever so once it is placed, it should be fairly easy to know what represents what. Now you would have to move the dice possibly to see what is under so putting a colored chit (if you already have them) under each dice should be fine.

When you "earn" new dice just make it so you place the red dice to the left, yellow in the middle, and blue on the right.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rrr_img_89242.jpg

This game is awesome. I can't imagine anyone not having fun with it. Plays like a board game, feels like a video game. The expansion, which gives the monsters unique powers, is a must.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
It looks pretty sweet for sure, but between the price and the fact there's already an expansion + a ton of "side" content in the optional section kinda irks me.
Yeah it's the first boardgame I kickstart so I don't know how they usually do it with expansions and paid add-ons. They added another expansion today.. mainly I'm worried that it's so successful and they're adding so much work for themselves that it might be delayed a ton, and I need my Conans like... now. On the price though, if you just buy the base pledge you're getting a shitload of stuff for that price.

Also +1 to King of Tokyo, bought that one on a whim before Christmas and we had a lot of fun with it.

Vaclav

yea, I'm debating it - they're actually local so I can just drive in should the whim become 100%

Vaclav

Give in to the dark side...
Gotta figure out the budget for next month for board games - and wife's besty wants us to start adding two activities a week - so lots of math to do. (and some undetermined - wife wants me to play pool with her while she hangs out - but if wife actually opts to play, math changes/etc) Can't just impulse like I normally would without busting my budgets I try to stick to.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Yeah fair enough. I'm probably going to wish I did that, since I stretched my budget to get it.
Hopefully nothing else interesting comes out this year...

faille

Molten Core Raider
I guess the other thing to remember is that while the game might be cheap, the associated costs might push it up quite a bit as well. Sleeving the cards isn't overly expensive, but adds a little more. If you like to make your own inserts, that a little more as well. And if you want to paint the minis, which Imperial Assault really needs, that's a significant increase in time and money spent.

Also, add me to the list of people who don't like Kings of Tokyo. I really love the concept of it, but almost every game I've played has had someone just sit outside and try to get points and go for the victory. Generally I like to just attack and do as much damage as possible, but usually end up losing because of it. I did play Kings of New York recently, and much prefered it since it seems to encourage the random mayhem that you'd expect from monsters battling it out in a city while also mitigating the play it safe and go for points strategy. Perhaps it has other flaws I haven't discovered yet though.

Vaclav

Eh, I bought like $40 of foamboard like a year ago, I'm set on building inserts. And too lazy to paint minis (plus it screws up some games - i.e. Mansions of Madness gets cumbersome if you do)

And I don't sleeve, I only play with 35+ year old adults barring the rare outlier - so people know how to properly handle parts.

moontayle

Golden Squire
KoT is a staple at my house. It's one of the games my kids can play and understand (along with Ticket to Ride) and it's quick enough that I don't generally have an issue with playing on any random night. We just got back from a short winter camping trip (day and a half) where out of like 30 games played by the roughly 12 people that showed up, KoT was broken out at least half a dozen times. Quick set up, quick play, easy rules. Pretty much perfect when you get down to it.

Just bought Star Realms at the local shop to support the business. That one is going to get played a lot too. Very similar to Dominion.