Board Games

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Just got Robinson Crusoe (coop) and Argent the Consortium (not coop). Both games appear pretty heavy play, but high strategy high replayability. High hopes!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got Ghost Stories this week - tough game, but enjoyable as a quick play (yet to win though with 2 players). Mansions of Madness is on loan from a friend so we can teach him later (maybe tomorrow) since he's having trouble committing the time to learning + play in a single go to reinforce it, was better than I was expecting - really nice narrative itch seems a perfect fit with Eldritch to break Arkham Horror's feel into two more manageable parts. Should be receiving Shadows of Brimstone tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I'm hitting Templecon this weekend. They almost always have some new games that are awesome that are about to come out. Also, Soda Pop is bringing The Forgotten King for Super Dungeon Explore, super stoked to try that out!

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Ghost story kicks my groups ass up and down the hall, twice on days that end w/ the letter "y." Have not gotten to play super dungeon exploerer yet. Anyone played Firefly boardgame yet?

Vaclav

Got Shadows of Brimstone now - probably going to run it in a sec with the wife, but holy crap that's a ton of gluing - every mini is in like 4 parts even the small ones. Wanted it all done in one go, but I just don't have the stamina to do it in one go - soooo much glue, looks quite deep as a screwing around thing though.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Got Imperial Assault for my birthday. Need to get to the store to grab a container for all these pieces.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I get to play Firefly game this weekend I think. Will report back as I only hear good things.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I actually have the Firefly board game (I think that's what you're referring too). Looks really awesome, got it for my wife because she loved the show. Of course, as with many awesome gifts, she hasn't even touched it..

faille

Molten Core Raider
Got Imperial Assault for my birthday. Need to get to the store to grab a container for all these pieces.
Congrats, and happy birthday!
Hoping mine arrives today since I've got a mini game con on the weekend that might be a great chance to try it out.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Heyoooooooo. I ordered it from the Plaid Hat Games website last week and got it today, was pretty surprising since I didn't get an email or anything about it. Not sure if it helped that I am only an hour-ish away from their main office, but I'll take it!

rrr_img_89844.jpg

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not a fan of the Firefly game, so easy to lose it all and never be able to catch up. And/or I just sucked at it.

Very interested in trying XCOM. Seems to be getting a lot of buzz/press.

Vaclav

Heyoooooooo. I ordered it from the Plaid Hat Games website last week and got it today, was pretty surprising since I didn't get an email or anything about it. Not sure if it helped that I am only an hour-ish away from their main office, but I'll take it!

rrr_img_89844.jpg
Promo pack... sigh =/

Thankfully it's only 1 char I'm missing.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure why I even got that honestly. Maybe because I ordered from their website? Its just a character and two cards so nothing crazy.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Yep, it's the promo pack for ordering directly from them.
Shits me that it wasn't a realistic option for me since I hear it's a pretty good character to have. Hopefully it's made available for sale separately at some point.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Keep an eye on the Boardgamegeek market place because they usually get the kickstarter and other random promos in there for people to buy separately.

moontayle

Golden Squire
So Imperial Assault is awesome. Doing two games, one as Rebel with my wife as the Imperial and one as the Imperial with my friends as the Rebels. Wife and I are about halfway through, trying to stay ahead of the other group, which are two missions in, so I don't spoil what's coming for myself.

It's challenging for both sides, and the randomness of the dice can do a number, though each side can gain the ability to do something about it as the game progresses. The core game comes with everything you need, and at the moment it also comes with the Luke and Vader figure packs included, which comes with the minis, and some extra cards to use, plus one mission and two skirmishes each. Other packs are available and those are represented as tokens in the core game but you get the mini with the pack plus the extra stuff, so it's worth it if you like adding variety.

So far only the Luke and Vader packs are out and come with the Core set. Next up are Han Solo and IG-88 but I haven't seen a date for those yet.

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
Does anyone have any experience with Cosmic Encounter? Had a co-worker buy it, and looks like we are going to play it next weekend. I know the Shut Up & Sit Down guys highly recommended it.

Vaclav

Cosmic is great - unfortunately the online version was removed a year or so ago - there's another in the works, but not there yet.

It's light and simple (at least early in the expansions - not played with anything past Zaps) - but TONS of variety in how play goes due to the bidding combat element that gives you some control over randomness and alien abilities that really change the core of the game substantially constantly.

Even the online version which was pretty much just the core set, I can only think of 1-2 games that happened mostly the same - and it had a fraction of the aliens and additional rules the real game has at this point.

[Don't expect high strategy though, it's very beer-and-pretzels screwing around fun with some diplomacy]

On my own notes - did my first foray into foamcraft last night - I think it turned out pretty close to the plans, I need to get better at measuring and cutting more precisely but my Dead of Winter box is now pretty well foamcrafted.

I used EoG's plans -Dead of Winter Foamcore Box Insert Plans v1 | The Esoteric Order of Gamers[I did skip the card holding "nubs" though - I already print cardstock boxes for storing cards, so it's redundant in my case]