Board Games

The 7th continent does look pretty fun. I want to buy it, but I'm impatient as hell and won't want to wait another year to play it!

The one thing that I don't really care for is that during a game save all of the discovery progress is lost. Maybe I wouldn't want to backtrack to revisit an old area anyway, but it doesn't seem so great to me that random events are triggered again to have to do so. It would be especially frustrating if the event was challenging and then another pops up that is similar.

One final thought: Aren't there already 7 continents??

icarr757_sl

shitlord
2nd play of Legendary: Predator. Played a bug hunt tonight, 4 of us hunting Aliens using Legendary: Alien and the conversion rules in Predator game. The Alien demolished us! Very fun but very painful. Not a game for the meek of heart but still probably ties Thunderstone as my #1 deck building game.

faille

Molten Core Raider
It's billed as a 4x game, and given the low unit counts, only 4 mechs a faction, seems like it's not a wargame in the usual sense, but clearly has battle as a major component. Going to try and print it out to see how it plays.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's billed as a 4x game, and given the low unit counts, only 4 mechs a faction, seems like it's not a wargame in the usual sense, but clearly has battle as a major component. Going to try and print it out to see how it plays.
Eh, any wargameyness is a turnoff for the wife though - like Argent is just on the edge.

And since 99.5% of the time if I'm boardgaming it includes the wife, it would never come out.

Same way I know if I buy TI3 (which I really, really want to) it'll never get played.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Ashes is finally in stores. I grabbed it this weekend and played some of the base decks. This game is awesome. Like a million times awesome. Pretty excited to see a community pop up for this.

Also played this weekend -

Terra Mystica - I had never played this classic Euro style game. I can see why it is very highly rated. None of us really knew what we were doing in the game before it started but the mechanics seem solid. If you like Euro's, it's something you should give a play or two to.

Pocket Imperium - Another new one to me. Pretty cool filler game. As a guy who loves Twilight Imperium it's enough nostalgia to keep me interested but the mechanics are simple and I was finished in 20 minutes not 20 hours. Seems cool. The game might be too simple to play it more then 5-10 times ever.

Tides of Time - Got in another play on this. The person I taught it to went over and bought a copy. Game wasn't that close but I know the cards and he was brand new but we both had fun. I think experienced players on this one are going to have a huge advantage over newbies in this one that is insurmountable but I think after 2-3 plays people will catch up to speed.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Got to try out Blood Rage last night and quite enjoyed it. Was first time for all of us, with 3 experienced gamers and one relative newbie.
Fluffed a few rules which can be easy to miss. Like Leaders being free to invade (ok, that one shouldn't be missed!) and keeping track of how many units you're allowed to have.
You really need to be proactive while also planning for strategic losses that will score points. It's probably worth trying to battle for the middle province early since that can really ramp you up but depends on cards you've got. In this game, everyone kinda wanted to avoid fighting a bit too much so it wasn't until the 2nd round that I made my move for the middle, combining with a quest for it and another quest for units in valhalla. It pretty much won the game for me though.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My gaming group is about halfway through Pandemic Legacy and holy crap its fun. Describing it as playing in a movie is pretty accurate.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
My gaming group is about halfway through Pandemic Legacy and holy crap its fun. Describing it as playing in a movie is pretty accurate.
How do you feel it would play with just 2 people? My girlfriend and I love Pandemic, so I want to give it a shot.

Ratina

it would be fine, we've been doing 3-4 depending on who's over. You have a pool of characters to pick from once you see the board layout and know the objectives. If you like Pandemic i highly highly recommend, just come back and post when the floor drops out from underneath you. My whole group just stopped for 30 mins staring at the board thinking we don't even know what to do next.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
it would be fine,we've been doing 3-4 depending on who's over. You have a pool of characters to pick from once you see the board layout and know the objectives. If you like Pandemic i highly highly recommend, just come back and post when the floor drops out from underneath you. My whole group just stopped for 30 mins staring at the board thinking we don't even know what to do next.
So, there's no penalty if someone can't be there for a round? I ordered this off amazon yesterday, so I'll get it tomorrow. I'm definitely excited to experience this...I always wanted to give Risk Legacy a shot, but my gf wasn't a big Risk fan, so I didn't want to chance it. May try to rope in a couple more people if we can agree to a specific weeknight to play it every week, but otherwise I'll just run through it with the two of us. I'll post reactions in spoilers as we work our way through.

Ratina

So, there's no penalty if someone can't be there for a round?
The base Pandemic actually handles that well enough on its own, with only 2 people drawing cards you go through the deck slower and the cards don't get spread around as much so 4/5's happen easy enough. The neat thing about P Legacy is the charaters are consistent regardless of players. My group relied on Scotty the Dispatcher a lot in the early games and he got stuck in an epidemic cascade and got 2 scars. If he gets 1 more scar he is dead and the group cant use him anymore. We could give him the Grizzled upgrade (character no longer takes scars) but you can only upgrade characters that you used the last round.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just got my shipping notice for Kingdom: Death... so excited.... plus BUMP for boardgames.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Seen a lot of chatter about how good Pandemic Legacy is. Need to pick that up.

Have a few really fun games of roll for the galaxy this weekend. On my phone so can't really get into much but it's worth checking out for most here IMO. If there was an app I'd be playing the hell out of it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
A couple games into Pandemic Legacy and my friends are anxious to get back into it. The one outlier in the group is now pushing Risk Legacy since some of us who generally don't play Risk expressed interest in giving it a shot w/ the Legacy concept attached to it.

Lots of kickstarters shipping, Burgle Bro's, One Hit Kill and Bomb Squad.