Board Games

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience with the Dice Masters stuff? A chain of stores near me (Hastings) are all closing down, and discounts are up to 70-90%. So, I could probably go over with 50 bucks and get multiple starter boxes and hundreds of the foil packs. Worth it? I feel like I've heard good things. If so, what "theme" do you recommend?

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience with the Dice Masters stuff? A chain of stores near me (Hastings) are all closing down, and discounts are up to 70-90%. So, I could probably go over with 50 bucks and get multiple starter boxes and hundreds of the foil packs. Worth it? I feel like I've heard good things. If so, what "theme" do you recommend?

It is a game I tried to get in to but it slid to the wayside, not due to anything wrong with it, but more to the number of games that come out and not having enough people around me to play.

That said, if you can get a fuck load for deep, deep discounts and have people who would play, I found the game to be a lot of fun. I bought the AvX starter when I played, it had a lot of decent cards in it. You realistically want one starter per player if I remember correctly. Also, the dice are used per character, so if you get a bunch of spiderman dice, but keep opening the common rarity card that goes with it, you can go on ebay and buy the rares pretty cheap. Their drafts are also fun. you open like 3 packs per person I think and you draft the cards basically like a magic Rochester Draft, taking the die that goes with it.

TL;DR game is fun, and you probably won't go wrong buying a board game's ($30 to 50) worth of a couple starters and foil packs to fuck around with a few friends every once in a while.

Also its an eric lang game and a riff on his game Quarriors, if either of those things swing your mind one way or the other.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dice masters is fun. In the first set they made 3 out of 4 super Rares really good and one was meh. So from a collector standpoint it may end up costing you 300 or more per set to really get what you want. If you are in a group who chases the dragon then the game is just a money dump. If you are going to buy a ton for a deep discount and draft or something then it is super fun.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anxious for the Arkham Horror LCG to finally get released - seems to be experiencing last minute delays, and it's kiiiiiilling me.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No Thank You Evil
180660.jpg

I don't have kids, and this looks 110% NOT my thing. But the title makes me smile. I can practically hear some radioactively cute 3 year old saying that.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This showed up the other day. Rules are a bit vague in some places but its a fun time killer.

Ravingspire | Board Game | BoardGameGeek
I just got that one in as well. Holy fuck is the box the best box I have ever had for a game ever. The components are all well made. I didn't have any issues with rules though I did watch all the videos before.

I'm a big fan of dungeon crawlers. Super Dungeon Explore is one of my favorite games. This is one of the best dungeon crawlers to come out in a long time. I highly recommend this one.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oh god, AEG's Black Box this year is Phase, a game they designed in 2006 and wanted to release in 2010. I am going to have to buy it out of morbid curiosity.

The original idea was to sell it as a CCG, and create the "ultimate" collectible game. Make cards double-sided, but marry the sides randomly. So a "Good" Faction Card named "Charge!" had ~150 different versions, because it's back-side could be any of the other ~150 "Neutral" or "Evil" cards in the planned base-set. So you'd have to hunt down your ideal "combination" cards to create your deck. Cards would flip back and forth as part of paying action costs/combat/etc, and you'd treat them as whatever their current "up" side was.

Since this is in the black box, I assume they've abandoned that and the cards are intentionally married front and back with some attempt at design rational.

Although it would be hilarious if it wasn't that way, and was instead how they originally planned it, so that each black box contains a "unique" set of cards for deck-building.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got Oregon trail, not sure how many others have played it.

I can't say I'm a huge fan. I know deaths were random in the real game, but it's crazy how quickly a party can get wiped out. We felt resource starved the entire game.

We ended up playing 4 times and winning once. My brother sat out on the last game because the previous 3 he died within the first 4 tiles and had to sit there the whole game.

Its fun to bust out for a couple play through but a very shallow game. Maybe if you play it drunk it's better.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Best description I've heard about it was "Its random, and brutal. Just like the computer game."

I played it once, now its shelf candy.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ravingspire looks fantastic. Wish I would have known about that one.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Any interest in using the wiki for board game stuff at all? Aggregating some impressions (or a page for a game w/ a synopsis, links to Amazon/BGG, and then links to forum posts w/ impressions?

Games anyone's particularly happy with they can champion and set up the initial page and/or we can rely on ODD folks to fill in others.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Had my birthday on the weekend and scored some nice games.
Got Robinson Crusoe, which I've played a couple of times and really enjoyed. Looking forward to getting more in depth with it. Really wish it did 5 players though.
7 Wonders Duel. Not a huge fan of 7 wonders though I want to like it based on its theme. Hopefully I enjoy Duel more.
Explorers of the North Sea and Runesea Saga, to complete the north sea series. Really keen to play the linked scoring thingy for it.
And Power Grid the card game. Power Grid is a big favourite in my house so hoping the card game isn't dumbed down or too simplified.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got in the Goonies Adventure Card Game last night. Played it twice, won one and lost one. Game is pretty simple but also can be difficult. Seems pretty decent so far.