Board Games

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My friend has Arkham Horror permanently set up in his basement in case folks want to play, since the drive to his house is shorter than the set-up/break-down time...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Arkham is an amazing game - but Christ it's so cumbersome - I've not played mine for ages (actually looking to Ebay the whole lot of it soon [once I double check missing parts to list properly]) simply because of how overboard it became.

Still love the game, but Eldritch/etc can scratch the itch similarly with so much less effort/

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone else really excited for the Arkham Horror LCG? After watching the Team Covenant demo video I almost came....

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah the pacing and setup time for Arkham horror is such a huge turn-off.

Zombicides are all amazing, but you can't even keep that permanently set up really...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You don't really need to keep zombicide set up, it's like 10 minutes from unboxing to playing.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We use the Terra Mystica red board as punishment for making too many terrible jokes.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what it is, I feel like I'm in love with the idea of playing board games, but then I never do. Wtf.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know what it is, I feel like I'm in love with the idea of playing board games, but then I never do. Wtf.

Get your spouse/partner interested in them and it becomes a near constant deluge.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Get your spouse/partner interested in them and it becomes a near constant deluge.

Oh no no no no no. I keep my wife separate from my gaming interests. I love her but those are two separate worlds that shall not collide. Plus she'd just call me a geek.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of it was poor game selection, but some of the worst gaming I've had was over at a married buds house.

Everyone would be playing and then he would clearly throw the game to his wife. I totally get it, but jesus man. If it has to be that way, then just play as a team or we could do other, less competitive games.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Just tried Tyrants of the Underdark for the first time. Alot of fun! Its a split game. 1st part is a basic deck builder that you use to generate influence to buy better cards (Thunderstone, Marvel legendary) or power to manipulate the game board, which is its own area control setting. Only real problem I have is for its price point, production values were only "good" and should have been "amazing." As a 2 player game I do not know how great it would be, but 3-4 there is plenty of room for drow backstabbing and plotting.

Taim

Trakanon Raider
Gen con reports say Firefly Legendary plays pretty damn good, and the art is pretty damn aweful... =/

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone got some good options that I can play with just my wife (2 player)? Nothing too complex.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Copying and pasting my Dark Souls review from their site. I'm happy with backing it after demoing it. Was pretty fun, you feel like you're about to die the whole time just like the video games.

Anyway /paste

I got to demo this at Gencon. There really isn't any 'new' news to report. They still only had the Dancer, the Herald, and Warrior and the one large rectangle tile. I liked the new dodge mechanic, there were multiples times that you had to choose which to use and weigh the options of which way would be better. Basically you try dodging if you can afford a massive hit cause the payoff is large. Saw it work and take 0 damage a couple of times...however one time it failed and the character died. The players ended up winning, I was giving the SFG guy crap that this was the easiest Dark Souls I'd ever seen
default_wink.png
With that said though, the entire game I was expecting the characters to die. The amount of damage the Dancer could do and the huge amount of life she had was so daunting.

The only things I saw that were 'new' were the finalized models of some of the sculpts. I'm not sure if they are public yet but it was new to me. The artist that is sculpting was showing some changes like they added a vestigial head to the gaping dragon plus a few other pose changes, made the titanite demon look more like stone (It looks a lot better now), some gargoyle wing changes, etc. Everything basically looks more detailed and refined than it does on the Kickstarter.

Also the giant statue was pretty cool. Would be an amazing piece to have in your gaming dungeon/basement.
Really looking forward to dark souls, I didn't get it, but I have a buddy who did and he is giving me some of the add on large boss minis in exchamge for having me paint it for him. Goin to be a good month of painting.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone got some good options that I can play with just my wife (2 player)? Nothing too complex.

Tides of Time is my favorite two player game. It's pretty easy to pick up and after a game or two you shift gears in to actually playing against each other instead of just drafting cards. Highly recommend.

On an unrelated note, played Mystic Vale again this weekend. Still liked it. It's an upgrade on the Dominion/Ascension/Marvel/DC deck building games.

Also played Evolution off of Kickstarter, was an odd worker placement type game. Was fun but not something I would buy.