Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
This dude speaks my mind about the movie. So I'll quote him. This was family friendly happy meal Queen, not the dirty rock band they all were at some point. I'm not saying i wanted to see rim jobs, but it's far cry from how it was downplayed. Remi does not nail the mannerisms either. Freddie called everybody darling, and was much more feminine (watch some yt of him in more private settings) . Anyways.

"A few weeks ago, I wrote that my benchmark for a Mercury biopic would be a re-creation of Queen’s legendary 1977 launch party in New Orleans, featuring naked waiters, contortionists, drag queens and dwarves with platters of cocaine on their heads. This being a 12A/PG13 certificate, no such rock excess is on offer, leaving only a few kisses and gropes and the odd reference to being “high” to suggest Mercury’s wild party lifestyle. That and the moralistic sneering. "

Sauce

Debauchery - this was not in the movie hehe.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
I can't disagree Raponchi.

What occurs to me is, however, imagine a sanitized modern biopic of say, The Rolling Stones. Mick is a lovable lad, Keith is a starry eyed idealist who maybe once tried some valium, etc.

That movie would be a laugh.

But Queen? Queen can even do a Disney-fied version of them. I think everyone human being should be aware of the Live Aid show, so if this is what it takes fine. Alright!

Just a thought. Plus consider this: the more relistic Queen movie therefore has yet to be made.... hehe

edit: I remeber watching with some friends in college when the Live Aid was broadcast. I can testify, even then, me and my friends could not grasp Freddies decision to wear what we would have called "high waters.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
I can't disagree Raponchi.

What occurs to me is, however, imagine a sanitized modern biopic of say, The Rolling Stones. Mick is a lovable lad, Keith is a starry eyed idealist....

Yeah the movie was entertaining for what it was. My mom played them for me when i was around 3 and now in my 30's a fan ever since. Don't mind my fanboyism.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
This dude speaks my mind about the movie. So I'll quote him. This was family friendly happy meal Queen, not the dirty rock band they all were at some point. I'm not saying i wanted to see rim jobs, but it's far cry from how it was downplayed. Remi does not nail the mannerisms either. Freddie called everybody darling, and was much more feminine (watch some yt of him in more private settings) . Anyways.

"A few weeks ago, I wrote that my benchmark for a Mercury biopic would be a re-creation of Queen’s legendary 1977 launch party in New Orleans, featuring naked waiters, contortionists, drag queens and dwarves with platters of cocaine on their heads. This being a 12A/PG13 certificate, no such rock excess is on offer, leaving only a few kisses and gropes and the odd reference to being “high” to suggest Mercury’s wild party lifestyle. That and the moralistic sneering. "

Sauce

Debauchery - this was not in the movie hehe.

Watched that Debauchery video. My first reaction was just a stunned "Jesus fucking Christ!". But then I realised it was basically just what I imagine a regular college Democratic Party meeting looks like today.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Watched that Debauchery video. My first reaction was just a stunned "Jesus fucking Christ!". But then I realised it was basically just what I imagine a regular college Democratic Party meeting looks like today.

Celebrating the mid-terms ? woop

Last edited:
By the time AIDS hit everyone's awareness (it was below the radar for a few years), say around 82-84 or so, it totally altered sex for people my age (let's just say under 20 at that time).

Everything changed. Everyone became a bit afraid (or they were a moron). The first couple decades or so of the AIDS crisis suck sucked sucked. I lost a few high school friends, either b/c they were gay or doing needle drugs and shared needles or had sex with the wrong person.

In college I knew this girl, totally cool, kind, just the sort of person you meet and then keep as a friend. She fucked the wrong person and died around 1985.

AIDS sucks, and still sucks. But back then, it truly was a death sentence.

A lot of good people died. And a lot of people lost good friends. I hope we always remember that.

I guess I am happy I had my "wild oats" time when things were easier. before the terror struck

And trust me, things **were** easier.

Living in fear is not cool. When Freddie died, it was very sad, but the outpouring of support -- that was not fear, that was courage and defiance. It was beautiful to see. It is hard, today, to realize how radical the memorial concert for Freddie was at the time. But it was. And watching George Michael's performance of Somebody to Love still gives me chills.

And no, I'm not gay. I'm just human.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it was not just gays, drug users, or people who had unsafe sex who died from AIDS, many died from infected blood transfusions, like Isack Asimov.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
By the time AIDS hit everyone's awareness (it was below the radar for a few years), say around 82-84 or so, it totally altered sex for people my age (let's just say under 20 at that time).

Everything changed. Everyone became a bit afraid (or they were a moron). The first couple decades or so of the AIDS crisis suck sucked sucked. I lost a few high school friends, either b/c they were gay or doing needle drugs and shared needles or had sex with the wrong person.

In college I knew this girl, totally cool, kind, just the sort of person you meet and then keep as a friend. She fucked the wrong person and died around 1985.

AIDS sucks, and still sucks. But back then, it truly was a death sentence.

A lot of good people died. And a lot of people lost good friends. I hope we always remember that.

I guess I am happy I had my "wild oats" time when things were easier. before the terror struck

And trust me, things **were** easier.

Living in fear is not cool. When Freddie died, it was very sad, but the outpouring of support -- that was not fear, that was courage and defiance. It was beautiful to see. It is hard, today, to realize how radical the memorial concert for Freddie was at the time. But it was. And watching George Michael's performance of Somebody to Love still gives me chills.

And no, I'm not gay. I'm just human.

Good points. I've was old enough around that time period (early to mid 80's) to really understand the fear that went around with AIDS. Mostly because at that time there was very little known about it. There was always a story that circulated around the time of middle/Jr. high where some guy hooks up with a girl he meets in the club and then wakes up the next morning to find her gone and a note left that says 'welcome to the wonderful world of AIDS'. The average teenager was probably more worried about getting AIDS then pregnancy.

I look at people like Mercury and figure they just happen to have the bad luck of being alive and exposed during that time. If he had rose to fame 20 years later he would probably still be alive.

• 1Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Those drunken hookups in the 80s. That feeling of dread in the following days that you were sure that bitch had aids and now you did too.

• 1Picard

spronk

FPS noob
Those drunken hookups in the 80s. That feeling of dread in the following days that you were sure that bitch had aids and now you did too.

i wonder if thats why nerds rule the planet now, all the hot people died giving each other aids

i didn't need any condoms in the 90s, my love of Dungeons and Dragons and Ultima and assembly language saved me from aids

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
I belive the story goes something like, if freddie had taken medication and done the hodl, there was a huge breakthrough in aids medicine some months after he died and he could technically have been saved.

I belive the story goes something like, if freddie had taken medication and done the hodl, there was a huge breakthrough in aids medicine some months after he died and he could technically have been saved.

IMO Freddie is almost his own story. Please tell me if you think I am way off track, but I think, crazy fucker he was, he was ready for death and did not care. Poets work that way sometimes.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
IMO Freddie is almost his own story. Please tell me if you think I am way off track, but I think, crazy fucker he was, he was ready for death and did not care. Poets work that way sometimes.

You are right, he refused any treatment whatsoever (except booze and weed, and i guess painkillers to cope) anything is those trial ages he would scoff off. This is their last shot video . It was shot in black and white to hide the purple blots appearing on Freddies body, heavilly maked up and every efford to hide his skeleton face(shadowwork). Reports from the set tell of a man needing help to do menial tasks etc, very sad. You can see the man is just withering away. "how do you want to be remembered Freddie? dead and gone" He died shortly after.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Finally got to see it on saturday and the wife and me both liked it enough to justify the price.
Could have been a bit louder but meh. I can still put on an album and turn the volume up if I want.

• 1Solidarity

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
You can tell he had trouble singing in that video. And while he had some moves left in him, they were a far cry from the strutting of his glory days.

One has to wonder what he would be like today if he had lived. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd have become a Tranny, even before it was "cool".

• 1Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider

Skip the movie, watch this documentary. They obviously skip some parts of his daily debauchery routine, but you can tell from the interviewees' snickering (when asked about the subject manner) that shit was going down.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Rami was a bad choice imo.

• 1Like

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>

Skip the movie, watch this documentary. They obviously skip some parts of his daily debauchery routine, but you can tell from the interviewees' snickering (when asked about the subject manner) that shit was going down.

This. This is the REAL Mercury story and the other video linked in here was great, Bohemian pitch meeting. Good stuff.