Book of the Month - Merged

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Eh, I see how you say that. I finished the book up last weekend, but I didn't find myself caring about what happened to the main character near as much as I do with Kvothe. My wife says it's because I'm fantasy biased and have no patience for anything else. It might be true. /shrug.

I still enjoyed it enough to justify the time I spent reading it. Good pick guys.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Starting tomorrow. Borrowing a copy from one of my coworkers. I haven't been this excited for a book since Wise Man's Fear.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Was I the only one that read the book in its entirety so far? Finished it two weeks ago waiting on you people to weigh in here.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm only about a third of the way in because I read soooo slow. I really enjoy it though, excellent book.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I only get to read right before I go to sleep. You know, work, school, kids are all young, etc. I just don't have the free time to really dive in. I am hoping to be at least 75% done this time next week.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I only get to read right before I go to sleep. You know, work, school, kids are all young, etc. I just don't have the free time to really dive in. I am hoping to be at least 75% done this time next week.
Yeah my kids are turning 12 at the end of the month. I hear you.

I read before I go to sleep also but I read super duper fast and I don't fall asleep very fast.

Should have seen when I was overseas for a year unaccompanied and on call 24/7/365 I was doing a paperback a night
frown.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I started it, got about 20% in I believe, and was enjoying it to an extent, but then the new King Henry book came out, and I realized that I've got so many books I want to read that pushing my way through yet another book that only moderately interests me is counter-productive. Sure I've finally read some of those books I always intended to read (American Gods, Snow Crash, etc.), and I read one I never would have otherwise (Outliers) but if it weren't for this thread I would have put them down partway in, and probably been the better for it. This book seems much better than those two, but the setting doesn't really do much for me. I do believe I'll eventually finish this one because it is a good book, but I've got probably fifty books or more I'd rather read in front of it. It certainly isn't the case that I need ideas on what to read next.

Not to say I won't participate in the coming months, but I read the first 4, I can skip the 5th for now.

T-rex_sl

shitlord
I finished it last week sometime. Overall I liked it, but I'll post a more in depth comment when I get home from work today.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I have it right here, but I'm trying to finish another book first. By the time I get through both it will probably be the end of the month.

T-rex_sl

shitlord
I think the book would have been a lot better if the mystery about Julian was toned done a lot. It really just wasn't all that compelling, and the last 100 pages or so were just trying to tie up that convoluted mess. At the beginning, the book was strong as a story about people living in post civil war Barcelona. The mystery was a good window through which Daniel could look at the city, but it should never have been drawn quite to the forefront.

Even so, I liked it. His writing is excellent and I most enjoyed the slower paced sections about the city and Daniel's emotional development.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
I read the first bit, got side tracked, and then started reading it again tonight. Now it's grabbed me and won't let go. Should be finished in 2 days.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_25710.jpg

rrr_img_25711.jpg

Two months in second place is not cool. Either this book is the pick for June or it's banned for the rest of the year.

1) Fantasy/Sci-fi: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

rrr_img_25714.jpg

An epic fantasy exploring themes of conflict, loyalty and religious faith. Vaelin Al Sorna, Brother of the Sixth Order, has been trained from childhood to fight and kill in service to the Faith. He has earned many names and almost as many scars, acquiring an ugly dog and a bad-tempered horse in the process. Ensnared in an unjust war by a king possessed of either madness or genius, Vaelin seeks to answer the question that will decide the fate of the Realm: ?who is the one who waits?

Raven's Shadow is the first volume in a new epic fantasy of war, intrigue and tested faith.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Finished it yesterday. It was great. I totally recommend it to anyone on the fence about reading it. Give it a hundred pages and this thing just sucks you in. Highly addictive!

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Overall, I liked it. The setting was great, and it's made me want to learn more about Spain history during the period. One issue I had with the story was how flat the father was. We really didn't learn much about him, despite him being around through the whole book. And now that I think about it, it's kinda true for a lot of the characters. I also wish he had tried to explain why the books were so good, but unsuccessful commercially. It's definitely a book I will recommend though, it was a good read.