Book of the Month - Merged

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not sure what to pick. I am still barely a third of the way through last month's book because school has been CRUSHING me. I want to read Dad is Fat but I realize that book probably has limited appeal. The Boys From Brazil looks awesome but I already know the twist along with everyone else in the world. Maybe Bad Monkey, I tend to like mystery.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm not sure what to pick. I am still barely a third of the way through last month's book because school has been CRUSHING me. I want to read Dad is Fat but I realize that book probably has limited appeal. The Boys From Brazil looks awesome but I already know the twist along with everyone else in the world. Maybe Bad Monkey, I tend to like mystery.
Yeah I picked the 4 non old ones myself and they all look decent probably going on my to read later list.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've never read the Nine Princes of Amber but I went with My Dad is Fat.

The others really sparked no interest for me, I've never been big into mystery.

Also I submitted a Fantasy choice for next month.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Two books aren't essentially brand new. I will try to be better about my SF picks, do you want them to be 2013 only? Can I go all the way in the time machine back to 2012? Considering last year and this year are mediocre at best I figured taking people's suggestions from PM's was a good idea.
Don't whine. Look, all I am saying is change it up a bit. I personally, look for something new(ish) being recommended (for ex Blood Song or the Khan stuff). Books that everyone in the world has probably read don't really light my fire for a book club. Each to their own and all that.
2012 and 2013 have had some fantastic SF and the last recent SF recommended was Red Shirts, way back.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was wondering if we should add a 'classics' category. Hemmingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, etc etc. Stuff that appears on those '100 best novels of all time' type lists.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd vote for Dostoyevsky, but I'm a fucking masochist and I've already read most of his works anyway. They are not easy to read but worth reading. In a way perfect book club material, in another way about like punching yourself in the dick.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Most of you guys read to slow for a book of the month club that does the classics. It would be book of the year for half of you!!

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Gerald is one of the greatest anti-heroes of all time. C.S. Friedman has other works that are worth reading, but she has never done a character quite as good as Gerald. Dude was a boss from start to finish.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
The relationship between Gerald and Damien, over the course of the three books, was amazingly well written. The internal conflict of the priests feelings towards him, and the insight you get as to Tarrant's own feelings towards the end, were just so perfect. It was just so believable.

One question that I had about the first book. The boy in the inn where Damien first meets Gerald. Was is Gerald that placed the shell or whatever around the boys soul? Was he the one who ate his soul or whatever, and then placed the barrier? Or were the demon-rakh the cause, and Gerald used the opportunity to get in with the group by placing the barrier that only he could bring down? I wasn't totally sure about what happened.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
Ooooh, I just saw this---soooo happy that new people are discovering this! It is one of my most favourite books (and series, even if book 3 is a bit traumatic and difficult to get through) of all time. I have destroyed two paperbacks, and keep them rubber-banded in order to keep them together! *laughs*

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I have a print of the cover hanging in my office now.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The relationship between Gerald and Damien, over the course of the three books, was amazingly well written. The internal conflict of the priests feelings towards him, and the insight you get as to Tarrant's own feelings towards the end, were just so perfect. It was just so believable.

One question that I had about the first book. The boy in the inn where Damien first meets Gerald. Was is Gerald that placed the shell or whatever around the boys soul? Was he the one who ate his soul or whatever, and then placed the barrier? Or were the demon-rakh the cause, and Gerald used the opportunity to get in with the group by placing the barrier that only he could bring down? I wasn't totally sure about what happened.
Demon-Rakh ate the boys memories. Since they are protected by The Master of Lema thats where the barrier came from. There was aspects to the barrier (as well as the Demon-Rakh) that was unique and hints at stuff in the following books.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The Boys from Brazil - Ira Levin

n809.jpg

Alive and hiding in South America, the fiendish Nazi Dr. Josef Mengele gathers a group of former colleagues for a horrifying project-the creation of the Fourth Reich. Barry Kohler, a young investigative journalist, gets wind of the project and informs famed Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman, but before he can relay the evidence, Kohler is killed.

Thus Ira Levin opens one of the strangest and most masterful novels of his career. Why has Mengele marked a number of harmless aging men for murder? What is the hidden link that binds them? What interest can they possibly hold for their killers: six former SS men dispatched from South America by the most wanted Nazi still alive, the notorious "Angel of Death"? One man alone must answer these questions and stop the killings-Lieberman, himself aging and thought by some to be losing his grip on reality.

Posting schedule:

Book thread posted 1st (actually July 29) of the month.
Reading begins 8th of the month.
Spoilers lifted 22nd of the month and next month's poll opens.

No posts from 1st-7th about the book or plot, can only post that you're participating.