Borderlands 3

Deathwing

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10,483
29d 6h 29m
Reactions
2,130 167 0 0
#21
I'm kinda curious what they could do with an adult version of Borderlands, kinda like the witcher.


TPS' problem(of many) was not SJW shit in the narrative. It's the the narrative and the telling of it sucked so much that it became easy to find minute flaws like that.
 

Tenks

Knight of the Realm
14,163
0
Reactions
601 54 0 0
#22
I liked TPS' story. I just liked the game in general, though.
 

Jait

Vyemm Raider
5,035
6d 7h 26m
Reactions
5,234 265 0 0
#23
TPS is great. It's the best combat in the series, and it fleshes out the story. The oxygen stuff quickly becomes trivial about an hour or two in.

I get that 99% of the people who play Borderlands aren't into the story, but it's one of my favorite in years. This game confirms the very real possibility that Jack is the actual hero. Ill go full aspy here...

So we basically have a dystopian galaxy so far removed from it's Humanity that Pandora is simply a microcosm of the greater picture. The Companies themselves are hideous institutions which are so bad that in a relative sense have resulted in mercenaries, murderers and thieves to be seen as "heroes". Our "heroes" pillage their way through the first game, slaughtering everyone in their path in pursuit of treasure. Who is the real hero of Borderlands?

Handsome Jack

Borderlands is completely misunderstood in this regard. Jack was introduced as a murdering psychopath who kills a train full of refugees. In reality they were going way over the top (like fucking your sister and throwing a kid out of a window, sound familiar?) in establishing the tragic misunderstood hero. His actual story is that of a low level programmer who saw the need for Order amidst the Chaos and eventually learned of an Alien threat coming in the future.

Forced into near slavery by his boss and executives, he overcame this with the only currency his industry respects: blackmail and extortion. He took over his company and established a new order based on actual accomplishments not who your parents were or whose ass you kissed. The next part of the story is completely missing. (we are told very vaguely that Jack had a wife and kid, but there's nothing to really back this up....) What does exist is Jack's obsession of Sirens during this time which led to a knowledge that easily surpasses anyone else in the series. How did a low level programmer learn who each and every Siren is? My guess is he recovered or created Angel, and he also confirmed he knows the names of the other 5 Sirens, so maybe...is a Siren himself. The killing of his wife and imprisoning Angel is all based on nothing and makes little sense when you understand the character. This story has yet to be told, and likely will be. And considering that Angel was in on his plans for the first 90% of BL1/BL2, odds are she was in on the last 10% too and is still alive and well.

At the end of BL2 before he is murdered in cold blood by our hero Siren, Jack continues to insist to the player that he/she is working for the Bandits and doesn't understand that he's trying to save everyone. He's about to die and still proclaims his innocence right up until the point Lilith blows his face off, FOR THE SECOND TIME! Jack's ambitions aren't evil. He doesn't want money, or power, he just wants to make people safe from the Bandits on Pandora who will eventually release some ancient evil alien threat. He was turned into a killer by circumstances. He absolutely refuses to murder the Meriff despites Athena's protest. When Jack turns his back on him, he pulls out a shotgun and shoots him, Jack is forced to defend himself and kills the Meriff. To which he responds in horror, "Why did you make me do that?!". Jack is betrayed time and time again by the same people he's trying to help until finally he's forced to take charge in order to preserve his own life long enough to save the stupid saps trying to kill him. He paid Lilith and Roland to protect him and get him to the Vault where he would not only find the tools he would need to save Pandora and it's people, but the artifact to show him the future and how to save it from the Alien threat that is to come.

When asked about his motives he envisions a world in which no bandit can ever harm the innocent people of Pandora again, which is why he employed the main characters in BL to retrieve the eye from the alien in the vault.
When the second vault was opened Jack saw the release of the "big bad" alien and the only way to combat it was with the Destroyer. Lilith then horribly maims him for no other reason than he killed a couple of scientists who betrayed him. Lilith and Roland also betray Athena, and later Lilith orders Athena's execution to prevent the truth from being told. Now the Aliens are in control of the Crimson Raiders.
 

Seananigans

<Donors Crew>
2,815
20d 12h 48m
Reactions
2,344 83 0 0
#24
I guess my main question would be, does BL3 have Buttstallion? Because that whole exchange in BL2 was by far my favorite of anything Borderlands.


..."Buttstallion says hi."
 

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
<Donors Crew>
2,140
5d 12h 38m
Reactions
76 6 0 0
#25
I wonder if the Telltale game is canon and at what point in time BL3 will take place with regards to that.
 

Brad2770

<Donors Crew>
2,535
18d 17h 36m
Reactions
5,316 813 0 0
#26
Funny story, apparently one of the devs lives in my apartment complex. We drunkenly ogled his girlfriend at the pool and then invited him over to drink with us when we left. He mentioned working on battleborn, told him it sucked, then he said they were releasing borderlands 3.

Didnt believe him, guess I was wrong lol.
Gearbox is located in Dallas?

*Edit - It's located in Frisco. Borderlands is my son's favorite game series. The kid would freak if I could arrange for him to get a tour. Anyone know if shit like that is possible?
 

Drinsic

privileged shitlord
<Donors Crew>
3,564
8d 13h 3m
Reactions
1,236 79 0 0
#27
The Torgue and Tiny Tina DLCs for BL2 were awesome. Give me shit on that level without the absurd item scaling from BL2 (go back to BL1, or how I remember BL1 being) and you have a fucking winner.
 

Fadaar

That guy
<Donors Crew>
4,123
14d 13h 54m
Reactions
1,833 126 0 0
#28
Item scaling in BL2 was a little ridiculous, but I don't know if I want to use a near perfect roll lvl 34 Hellfire SMG all the way up either.
 

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
5,841
15h 27m
Reactions
284 22 0 0
#29
Item scaling in BL2 was a little ridiculous, but I don't know if I want to use a near perfect roll lvl 34 Hellfire SMG all the way up either.
I'd prefer less numbers and more varied weapon behavior and combinations.
 

Tenks

Knight of the Realm
14,163
0
Reactions
601 54 0 0
#30
End-game scaling is actually what I dislike most about BL games. It feels tuned for being full legendary so when you're on that grind you have to shoot a Super Badass for what feels like 2 minutes to kill him. I wouldn't mind if the addressed some of the end-game ARPG mechanics of the game. Implement some more Diablo-style stuff with like dungeon labyrinths at end game instead of farming a boss over and over hoping for the right drop. Which is probably why I liked BL1's end-game of Knoxx's fortress more since you had to kind of fight through some stuff to get the lootsplosion.
 

moontayle

Knight of the Realm
4,302
0
Reactions
161 57 0 0
#31
TPS is great. It's the best combat in the series, and it fleshes out the story. The oxygen stuff quickly becomes trivial about an hour or two in.

I get that 99% of the people who play Borderlands aren't into the story, but it's one of my favorite in years. This game confirms the very real possibility that Jack is the actual hero. Ill go full aspy here...

So we basically have a dystopian galaxy so far removed from it's Humanity that Pandora is simply a microcosm of the greater picture. The Companies themselves are hideous institutions which are so bad that in a relative sense have resulted in mercenaries, murderers and thieves to be seen as "heroes". Our "heroes" pillage their way through the first game, slaughtering everyone in their path in pursuit of treasure. Who is the real hero of Borderlands?

Handsome Jack

Borderlands is completely misunderstood in this regard. Jack was introduced as a murdering psychopath who kills a train full of refugees. In reality they were going way over the top (like fucking your sister and throwing a kid out of a window, sound familiar?) in establishing the tragic misunderstood hero. His actual story is that of a low level programmer who saw the need for Order amidst the Chaos and eventually learned of an Alien threat coming in the future.

Forced into near slavery by his boss and executives, he overcame this with the only currency his industry respects: blackmail and extortion. He took over his company and established a new order based on actual accomplishments not who your parents were or whose ass you kissed. The next part of the story is completely missing. (we are told very vaguely that Jack had a wife and kid, but there's nothing to really back this up....) What does exist is Jack's obsession of Sirens during this time which led to a knowledge that easily surpasses anyone else in the series. How did a low level programmer learn who each and every Siren is? My guess is he recovered or created Angel, and he also confirmed he knows the names of the other 5 Sirens, so maybe...is a Siren himself. The killing of his wife and imprisoning Angel is all based on nothing and makes little sense when you understand the character. This story has yet to be told, and likely will be. And considering that Angel was in on his plans for the first 90% of BL1/BL2, odds are she was in on the last 10% too and is still alive and well.

At the end of BL2 before he is murdered in cold blood by our hero Siren, Jack continues to insist to the player that he/she is working for the Bandits and doesn't understand that he's trying to save everyone. He's about to die and still proclaims his innocence right up until the point Lilith blows his face off, FOR THE SECOND TIME! Jack's ambitions aren't evil. He doesn't want money, or power, he just wants to make people safe from the Bandits on Pandora who will eventually release some ancient evil alien threat. He was turned into a killer by circumstances. He absolutely refuses to murder the Meriff despites Athena's protest. When Jack turns his back on him, he pulls out a shotgun and shoots him, Jack is forced to defend himself and kills the Meriff. To which he responds in horror, "Why did you make me do that?!". Jack is betrayed time and time again by the same people he's trying to help until finally he's forced to take charge in order to preserve his own life long enough to save the stupid saps trying to kill him. He paid Lilith and Roland to protect him and get him to the Vault where he would not only find the tools he would need to save Pandora and it's people, but the artifact to show him the future and how to save it from the Alien threat that is to come.

When asked about his motives he envisions a world in which no bandit can ever harm the innocent people of Pandora again, which is why he employed the main characters in BL to retrieve the eye from the alien in the vault.
When the second vault was opened Jack saw the release of the "big bad" alien and the only way to combat it was with the Destroyer. Lilith then horribly maims him for no other reason than he killed a couple of scientists who betrayed him. Lilith and Roland also betray Athena, and later Lilith orders Athena's execution to prevent the truth from being told. Now the Aliens are in control of the Crimson Raiders.
Might have been a while since you played but...

Angel was Jack's kid. One of the side quests in BL2 touches on this and the narrative after the mission to destroy Angel follows through. It even mentions (or hints at, don't quite remember) that Angel's "coming out" as a Siren is how Jack's wife died.

I likened the overall narrative highly on the shades of grey level. Both sides were shady as shit and working to protect their own interests.
 

spronk

FPS noob
<Donors Crew>
11,853
14d 3h 12m
Reactions
4,948 491 0 0
#33
5 steam beta keys to gearbox's current beta game, its a 1v1 PVP game i don't think it has anything to do with borderlands and i have been too lazy to run my copy. the beta is only open anoother week i think and its a 5 gig download

CFWBB-SJJ3W-KF5CJK
CX5JB-JWT35-WR5CR3
KRWJB-CC335-WXKCHJ
5R5TB-RKBJW-WF5563
5RC3J-S5JJW-CF55C6
 

spronk

FPS noob
<Donors Crew>
11,853
14d 3h 12m
Reactions
4,948 491 0 0
#34
https://kotaku.com/former-gearbox-lawyer-accuses-ceo-randy-pitchford-of-ta-1831679539
Callender’s most lurid allegation against Pitchford is an accusation surrounding an event that he says occurred in 2014. Callender says that Pitchford left a USB drive in a Dallas, Texas restaurant containing sensitive corporate documents for Gearbox and its partners including 2K Games, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, and others. Says the lawsuit: “Upon information and belief, Randy Pitchford’s USB drive also contained Randy Pitchford’s personal collection of ‘underage’ pornography.”

 

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
<Donors Crew>
7,049
21d 2h 35m
Reactions
3,651 242 0 0
#35
Why the fuck would you use the same USB drive for both? How dumb are these guys?
 

spronk

FPS noob
<Donors Crew>
11,853
14d 3h 12m
Reactions
4,948 491 0 0
#37
wtf

it all happened at a medieval times too



 

Brikker

Vyemm Raider
4,079
13d 1h 0m
Reactions
2,040 359 0 0
#39
Why does it say "underage" like that? Was it actually pedo porn? I have to imagine it would be far more serious with law enforcement involvement if so. By saying "underage" it makes me think it's like teen porn or something but not necessarily illegal.

Of course the peacock party thing is fucked up if true. Where are the cops in this?
 

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
4,071
35d 7h 8m
Reactions
9,840 901 0 0
#40
Why does it say "underage" like that? Was it actually pedo porn? I have to imagine it would be far more serious with law enforcement involvement if so. By saying "underage" it makes me think it's like teen porn or something but not necessarily illegal.
Probably 10-12 year old Tiny Tina cosplayers.