Borderlands 3

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
so what's the best plan after the first playthrough? I read somewhere to activate mayhem mode and do remaining sidequests to level to 50 and then play through TVHM at 50 so that all the quest rewards will be maxed. My first playthrough was Zane, but I started up Flak to try something different before deciding where I really want to dedicate my time

This is one of my RPG/gaming gripes/pet peeves. Making quest rewards scalable to your level means everyone will game the system and just put them off until the end. Why developers continue to include this in their games amazes me. If you put a quest in a specific area, fix the fucking reward to the appropriate level of that area. You are basically saying you fucked up the level progression if you allow side quest to be skipped until you are max level just to min/max rewards.

Anyway, /rant off.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
This is one of my RPG/gaming gripes/pet peeves. Making quest rewards scalable to your level means everyone will game the system and just put them off until the end. Why developers continue to include this in their games amazes me. If you put a quest in a specific area, fix the fucking reward to the appropriate level of that area. You are basically saying you fucked up the level progression if you allow side quest to be skipped until you are max level just to min/max rewards.

Anyway, /rant off.
So does that mean the answer to my question is yes? 😄

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So does that mean the answer to my question is yes? 😄
I beat the game, leveled to 50 by killing Graveward, then did the remaining sidequests on mayhem which scales the rewards to 50 even if you aren't in TVHM. I still see no reason at all to bother with TVHM, especially not as long as they insist on making all the damn cutscenes unskippable. I don't even want to level another VH at all due to that.

Also, imo the only two sidequests that actually matter are Raiders of the Lost Rock and Demon in the Dark. Can't think of any others that give a reward that I'd use at 50. There are a handful that give legendary items though, so it could be a good idea to wait on them until the end just to be safe. Too lazy to type them out, it's all on this spreadsheet:

P.S. If you want to fix the mistake of leveling up Zane first since he's easily the weakest character at endgame, go with Moze who is easily the strongest (and actually has multiple viable builds that use all 3 of her trees).

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Game needs an adventure mode or whatever its called in D3, where everythings unlocked and you can go smash face to max level.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Game needs an adventure mode or whatever its called in D3, where everythings unlocked and you can go smash face to max level.
That's basically what turning on mayhem 1-3 does, and is how I leveled from 42 to 50 after finishing the main questline. Everything that doesn't scale in normal mode changes to be +/-1 level of you, bosses/zones respawn as soon as you quit and reload the game, and all loot drops and quest rewards scale accordingly. And best of all, no need to sit through the terrible writing/characters of the main story a second time to unlock it.

Edit: Playing offline greatly speeds up the process too. I've gone online once since the retarded hotfix, and only then because it seems practically impossible to get a legendary class mod like Moze's Bloodletter to drop while offline. Soon as it dropped, back to offline.

Last edited:

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I beat the game, leveled to 50 by killing Graveward, then did the remaining sidequests on mayhem which scales the rewards to 50 even if you aren't in TVHM. I still see no reason at all to bother with TVHM, especially not as long as they insist on making all the damn cutscenes unskippable. I don't even want to level another VH at all due to that.

Also, imo the only two sidequests that actually matter are Raiders of the Lost Rock and Demon in the Dark. Can't think of any others that give a reward that I'd use at 50. There are a handful that give legendary items though, so it could be a good idea to wait on them until the end just to be safe. Too lazy to type them out, it's all on this spreadsheet:

P.S. If you want to fix the mistake of leveling up Zane first since he's easily the weakest character at endgame, go with Moze who is easily the strongest (and actually has multiple viable builds that use all 3 of her trees).
hah, thanks. I don't consider playing Zane to have been a mistake, as I'm likely to do at least one playthrough with each class. For the first playthrough, I never felt underpowered. In fact, my first death was my first attempt at Traunt and then not another one until a complete shitfest vs Billy the Anointed. I one shot every other boss except the final one that only took a second attempt, and I am certainly not a pro by any means

Vorph

Yeah, I just mean "mistake" in the sense that Zane is way behind the other three in terms of power at endgame and it seems like a lot of people are finding that rather frustrating on Mayhem 3. Moze and Amara are so strong that their normal builds make even Porcelain Pipe Bomb cheese seem slow. And Moze is practically unkillable while doing her thing.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I find it interesting you say that because I've seen a lot of people bitching about Amara and calling Fl4k overpowered

Vorph

Amara has about the same offensive power as Moze, but isn't more or less unkillable while doing it. So she can drop Graveward in ~5 seconds from hitting the ground, but she might struggle a bit to clear the arenas. Moze can clear arenas easily, and the only time you get downed while playing her is from self-damage. Or your game crashes because there's so many explosions and other GPU-melting fx on the screen.

IMO all that talk about Fl4k is going to get him nerfed first, and since he's basically a one trick pony when it comes to builds any nerf is going to gut him.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So basically the end game is all sorts of fucked up and the story sucks with horrible characters? Plus it runs like Dog Shit on a PS Pro not even holding 30 FPS in 4k mode, and coop is a broken mess? So basically do not buy and wait for patches and a sale is what I am getting out of all this.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
So basically the end game is all sorts of fucked up and the story sucks with horrible characters? Plus it runs like Dog Shit on a PS Pro not even holding 30 FPS in 4k mode, and coop is a broken mess? So basically do not buy and wait for patches and a sale is what I am getting out of all this.
That's one opinion. Ran fine on my two year old middling PC, and I liked the story, so...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I am having a blast on PC playing this. I like the story, the toilet humor the gun play...

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I like playing these from my couch on the equipment I bought. So I will wait out for a patch. Digital Foundry points to massive frame issues on PS4 (The platform I want to play on due to my huge friends list there and coop capability) but X1X runs stable at 30 FPS in 4k. As long as they patch it to run a stable 30 FPS in 4k on PS Pro, and they fix the coop issues I have been hearing about (Could be user error which is why I am asking) and the end game (I trust Vorph over damn near anyone) I would purchase and play. I liked BL1 and 2. Although Randy PItchford should be in prison. Character and story complaints are damn near universal though but that is subjective.

• 2Picard

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Is that really all you've gotten from this thread?

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Is that really all you've gotten from this thread?

This game is good but its full of bullshit QA, bad bugs, and just general annoyances that should not exist.

Since matchmaking on PC doesn't work very well (and thats being optimistic) it might be better to wait for a bit.

Who could imagine that the incompetent tards that straight up ruined a game with a single item (The Bee) might continue to have problems with item balance in the future?

Don't store anything you care about in the vault, I kind of doubt increasing the size with CheatEngine will stop the "oops, your vault is empty now" bug from happening.

3) "Endgame" reward structure is all out of whack.

I dunno man should I go on? This is all in the last 3 fucking pages.

Vorph

I like playing these from my couch on the equipment I bought. So I will wait out for a patch. Digital Foundry points to massive frame issues on PS4 (The platform I want to play on due to my huge friends list there and coop capability) but X1X runs stable at 30 FPS in 4k. As long as they patch it to run a stable 30 FPS in 4k on PS Pro, and they fix the coop issues I have been hearing about (Could be user error which is why I am asking) and the end game (I trust Vorph over damn near anyone) I would purchase and play. I liked BL1 and 2. Although Randy PItchford should be in prison. Character and story complaints are damn near universal though but that is subjective.
Performance wise, I never even tried 4K mode. I will always take 1080p60 over 2160p30 when given an option. That said, the DF report on it shows PS4 Pro running more like 40-50fps all the time, and I can personally confirm drops to 30 and even below when I'm running around as Moze abusing her grenadier build. DF also showed frequent drops to mid-20's and occasionally even lower when playing in 4K mode so I know I made the right choice. Moze builds would bring that to teens easy. That said, it doesn't really affect the gameplay much. The grenade Moze uses tracks targets on its own so shit dies no matter what.

And yes, the endgame is pretty busted. There's a bunch of different ways to break the game as bad or worse than the Conference Call + The Bee combo from BL2. Loot went from MAYBE slightly too abundant to stingy as fuck in the hotfix which I why I refuse to play online. There's about 120 legendaries in the game, probably 75% of which are complete garbage. Of the remaining, it's about half mediocre/decent stuff and half stuff that's part of super OP builds. On top of actually getting one of the few good items in the game to drop, you also have to get the correct prefix/stat rolls. Hex is a godtier grenade for example, but only if it has either MIRV or Recurring as its prefix, and then you need shock and at least one other element. The amount of loot that dropped originally (and still does offline) is like Diablo 3: there's a shitload of it but you leave the vast majority to just rot on the ground. Even more so here since Gearbox is so goddamn stingy when it comes to vault space. I pretty much only pick up Flakker, Butcher, Lyuda, maybe 3 or 4 others I can't remember the names of right now, about 3 shields and grenades, 2 class mods, and 1 artifact.

Thankfully I'm about done with all I care to do in the game and will ship it back to Gamefly before they release an actual patch that nerfs things further. Avoiding the hotfixes is simple enough, but trying to stop a PS4 from patching a game it wants to update is way too much of a pain in the ass. I would have liked to play it on PC since mine is brand new now, but Epic and Denuvo made that impossible. I wouldn't have been happy about paying $60 for the game anyway, but maybe I'll get it once it's on Steam and there's a cheap[er] 'complete' version (without Denuvo, or it's still a deal-breaker).

As for the story, I suppose it's subjective, but I don't like the antagonists at all compared to Jack in BL2. They are more irritating than menacing villains, and the resolution really isn't that satisfying in the end. The writing is vastly worse compared to BL2, and especially TftB (whose characters reappear here in flanderized form and without Troy Baker as Rhys). Without getting into massive spoilers, I was not pleased with their decision to mix dick & fart joke style humor with much darker writing. There was no fucking need at all for what happened after the first vault. I found side quests much more entertaining than the main story, with a few exceptions that just didn't land their jokes at all.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Performance wise, I never even tried 4K mode. I will always take 1080p60 over 2160p30 when given an option. That said, the DF report on it shows PS4 Pro running more like 40-50fps all the time, and I can personally confirm drops to 30 and even below when I'm running around as Moze abusing her grenadier build. DF also showed frequent drops to mid-20's and occasionally even lower when playing in 4K mode so I know I made the right choice. Moze builds would bring that to teens easy. That said, it doesn't really affect the gameplay much. The grenade Moze uses tracks targets on its own so shit dies no matter what.

And yes, the endgame is pretty busted. There's a bunch of different ways to break the game as bad or worse than the Conference Call + The Bee combo from BL2. Loot went from MAYBE slightly too abundant to stingy as fuck in the hotfix which I why I refuse to play online. There's about 120 legendaries in the game, probably 75% of which are complete garbage. Of the remaining, it's about half mediocre/decent stuff and half stuff that's part of super OP builds. On top of actually getting one of the few good items in the game to drop, you also have to get the correct prefix/stat rolls. Hex is a godtier grenade for example, but only if it has either MIRV or Recurring as its prefix, and then you need shock and at least one other element. The amount of loot that dropped originally (and still does offline) is like Diablo 3: there's a shitload of it but you leave the vast majority to just rot on the ground. Even more so here since Gearbox is so goddamn stingy when it comes to vault space. I pretty much only pick up Flakker, Butcher, Lyuda, maybe 3 or 4 others I can't remember the names of right now, about 3 shields and grenades, 2 class mods, and 1 artifact.

Thankfully I'm about done with all I care to do in the game and will ship it back to Gamefly before they release an actual patch that nerfs things further. Avoiding the hotfixes is simple enough, but trying to stop a PS4 from patching a game it wants to update is way too much of a pain in the ass. I would have liked to play it on PC since mine is brand new now, but Epic and Denuvo made that impossible. I wouldn't have been happy about paying $60 for the game anyway, but maybe I'll get it once it's on Steam and there's a cheap[er] 'complete' version (without Denuvo, or it's still a deal-breaker).

As for the story, I suppose it's subjective, but I don't like the antagonists at all compared to Jack in BL2. They are more irritating than menacing villains, and the resolution really isn't that satisfying in the end. The writing is vastly worse compared to BL2, and especially TftB (whose characters reappear here in flanderized form and without Troy Baker as Rhys). Without getting into massive spoilers, I was not pleased with their decision to mix dick & fart joke style humor with much darker writing. There was no fucking need at all for what happened after the first vault. I found side quests much more entertaining than the main story, with a few exceptions that just didn't land their jokes at all.

Awesome. Pretty much figured this from the rest of the posts but you have confirmed what I had been worried about. I'll wait for a very steep sale or just skip it at this point. Loved BL2 and BL1, the character depth and story along with fun coop and good design decisions (And also fairly bug free). This sounds like a steaming pile of shit to stay away from for the time being and definitely not worth 60.

Vorph

Steaming pile of shit is rather strong, but I think comparing it to TPS rather than BL1 or 2 is fair.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
gameplay is great, story isn't as strong as previous, ava and most of the other chars are just horrible - like all of the magic from previous bl's characters just gone somehow

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like