Borderlands 3

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
You Steamies are just so funny.

Nothing about Steam. I am punishing a company for limiting access to their 3rd party title when they have released every other title across multiple delivery platforms. They are taking guaranteed money and betting that the Borderlands name will give them enough good will to make people forget that they are only going exclusive for money to the detriment of many fans. I will be one of (hopefully) many that punishes them for poor decisions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing about Steam. I am punishing a company for limiting access to their 3rd party title when they have released every other title across multiple delivery platforms. They are taking guaranteed money and betting that the Borderlands name will give them enough good will to make people forget that they are only going exclusive for money to the detriment of many fans. I will be one of (hopefully) many that punishes them for poor decisions.
YOU are limiting YOUR access to a game because YOU do not like the "store" they are using. So YOU want to punish a company that is making a decision that hopefully will make them more money just because YOU don't like the "delivery platform" they are using. This has nothing to do with the game, or the company, but only YOU. You be you though and do what you think is best, my stance will be unchanging since I'll buy BL3 wherever it is available. Sorry for bringing up something that was beaten to death in the other thread.

• 5Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 6 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Punish? I'm somehow not allowed to vote with my wallet now?

Are you cucking real?

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
As someone that mostly does console gaming, why are people so against steam losing its monopoly on game distribution?

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unless it's online only, there is no such thing as Epic store exclusive. TPB is an equal opportunity video game distributor and service provider.
I personally don't like Steam either (start it while running ProcessMonitor and see it going places), but exclusives are stupid. So yeah, make it exclusive and I'm not going to buy it. Torrent or not is not a question, it's a fact. I just buy stuff e.g on Steam and then download a cracked version and play that (unless it's online only).
Fuck DRM, launchers, spyware&tracking, and other stupid crap. Old school games = start and play within 30sec. Store crap = start and go make a sandwich. Wait, you can't. You have to click on one or several dialogs in order to proceed. Latest example, Division2. FFS, takes 3+ minutes from SSD and non-potato computer: start service, check for patches, login, start store, start game, load game. And requires 3 user interactions. Eff that noise.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denaut

Trump's Staff
As someone that mostly does console gaming, why are people so against steam losing its monopoly on game distribution?

There is no problem with Epic opening their own store and competing with Steam. The problem is that handing out fistfuls of money for exclusive properties so that they are only available on an inferior platform which is missing a lot of features. They aren't competing by offering an superior product and it is blatantly anti-consumer.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Steam does not have a monopoly, and actively benefits competing storefronts by letting devs generate Steam keys to sell on those platforms. (Shouldering the distribution burden in the process) The only reason Steam has a userbase that makes it looks like a monopoly is because it's the superior service by miles compared to anyone else. On top of this, they contribute to the community and PC gaming in dozens of various ways when it comes to tech, features, community, and advocacy.

Epic throws money at companies to arbitrarily limit consumer choices. They could have just relied on their lower cut (fair since they offer fuck all in return) as incentive for people to go their platform, while building up actual features, but that wasn't enough for them so they just started buying people off. Taken within context of Epic's seriously spotty past with shitting all over PC gaming, and you have varied reasons to want them to fuck off.

Meanwhile, mouth breathing retards get upset when people point this stuff out because they're not capable of looking past their nose and analyzing a situation for the true issues at hand, selling out their own interests in the process.

If you want to see an actual PC gaming platform monopoly, then give Epic years of these faggots not caring about this stuff and you'll see what one actually looks like, only they won't even be benefiting the devs anymore either as they'll no longer need to throw money at them.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
YOU are limiting YOUR access to a game because YOU do not like the "store" they are using. So YOU want to punish a company that is making a decision that hopefully will make them more money just because YOU don't like the "delivery platform" they are using. This has nothing to do with the game, or the company, but only YOU. You be you though and do what you think is best, my stance will be unchanging since I'll buy BL3 wherever it is available. Sorry for bringing up something that was beaten to death in the other thread.

That's where you're wrong, bucko. I play Apex through the Origin launcher because EA took a risk by making it F2P and in return just asked that I use their mostly terrible distribution platform. It is inferior to Steam but at least they let you import your Steam friends. I used to play Blizzard games through their launcher (before all their games became terrible) because, again, the company that made the game(s) also made launcher for their own IP and took great risk of alienating customers by limiting how they accessed the game. They did these things because they see a future where all their games will be available through their launcher and are betting on this with ZERO safety net under them.

3rd party developers are doing it for guaranteed money . They are not doing this to consolidate their game library nor can they claim to be doing it to give the customer a better user experience. I can buy indie and niche games taking the lump sum up front to protect development costs; but after the wild success of BL and BL2, you cannot say that Gearbox is in this position. Then there is the damning fact that these games end up on Steam anyways so they cannot even nut up and say they are trying to help break up the beast and think Epic is the best way to do that.

So yes, I will punish Gearbox if they decide to go this route because it is a short term cash grab that erodes goodwill long term… MY goodwill.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like exclusivity to me.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Epic's leadership with cross-platform support... what the holy fuck is he talking about?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Unreal is by far the best thing when it comes to portability. It is the anti-Frostbite.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's where you're wrong, bucko. I play Apex through the Origin launcher because EA took a risk by making it F2P and in return just asked that I use their mostly terrible distribution platform. It is inferior to Steam but at least they let you import your Steam friends. I used to play Blizzard games through their launcher (before all their games became terrible) because, again, the company that made the game(s) also made launcher for their own IP and took great risk of alienating customers by limiting how they accessed the game. They did these things because they see a future where all their games will be available through their launcher and are betting on this with ZERO safety net under them.

3rd party developers are doing it for guaranteed money . They are not doing this to consolidate their game library nor can they claim to be doing it to give the customer a better user experience. I can buy indie and niche games taking the lump sum up front to protect development costs; but after the wild success of BL and BL2, you cannot say that Gearbox is in this position. Then there is the damning fact that these games end up on Steam anyways so they cannot even nut up and say they are trying to help break up the beast and think Epic is the best way to do that.

So yes, I will punish Gearbox if they decide to go this route because it is a short term cash grab that erodes goodwill long term… MY goodwill.
So you're mad that Gearbox wants to make more money off BL3 by allowing it to be a timed exclusive on the Epic Store? Shame on them! :eek:

At least its not a console specific exclusive, right? Imagine if people who get upset about a game being a timed exclusive on the Epic store had the same "I won't buy it!" attitude for games that were only available on a specific console? lol.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
So you're mad that Gearbox wants to make more money off BL3 by allowing it to be a timed exclusive on the Epic Store? Shame on them! :eek:

At least its not a console specific exclusive, right? Imagine if people who get upset about a game being a timed exclusive on the Epic store had the same "I won't buy it!" attitude for games that were only available on a specific console? lol.

If they had, then maybe timed console exclusive would have been a thing of the past. I also have never played Halo, Fable, or a any other Xbox exclusives whether or not they were released on pc and I have no interest in them. So yeah, it’s easy for me to imagine that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Lots of games I've not played due to console exclusivity. Epic's store is new, thus people are being vocal about it. Old concept, new area.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I have responded to you by simply sharing my point of view; which is that the BL series has been multi platform in every other iteration and that I despise companies that deliberately choose to step backwards towards less availability only after building their fan base in the exact opposite way. BL3 was going to be a huge hit no matter what so they decided to take a huge payout to make that success exclusive to Epic. I hope it doesn't work out and discourages others from doing the same. You can do whatever the fuck you want.