Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is from the Atlantic Wire

NHi9Jsk.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
how is that needless?

the mention of the size of the event was meant to illustrate the scope of security that would be devoted to it.

as in the difference in security devoted to a 200 person event in bumfuck, MI vs. a half a million person event in boston at the finish line. in the photos, there's at least a dozen uniformed cops standing next to the finish line, and thats the just the cops that can be seen in photo, in uniform. and no one caught or saw anything at the time
What they did was trivial. Getting away cleanly is much harder than detonating a bomb in a crowded area and all the security was not being used to protect against bombing (Which would've involved sectioning off the area and checking baggage).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One would think that it would be hard to get away with shit like this these days with all the recording and picture taking at an event like this.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I wouldn't put it past them to arrest the first person who comes into their crosshairs just so they can say they're doing their job, protecting the citizens, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't put it past them to arrest the first person who comes into their crosshairs just so they can say they're doing their job, protecting the citizens, etc.
Yep. People need to remember that we're a country with a innocent until proven guilty ideology. And I am sure that law enforcement won't simply stop working to investigate leads because they've made one arrest.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One would think that it would be hard to get away with shit like this these days with all the recording and picture taking at an event like this.
I think it'd be impossible to do a drop and local detonation without being caught. The only way you could get away with it would be to set up us the bomb long before the crowds arrived, and apparently they did a bomb sweep that would have almost certainly caught the kind of bomb that was used.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Anyone doing this who was serious about getting caught would not have any identifiable printed shit in the pack with the bomb. The person they are looking for most likely has nothing but a water bottle in the side pockets. That outline does look suspicious, but could just as easily be something dumb like a jar of some shit stretching out the pocket compartment.
Sitting back now and using our brains yeah, but easily could just have assumed nobody would take notice, since there was a million people there and most were watching the race, if it was me id bank alot on me getting away would be due to the massive amounts of people around you dont really stick out.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You would be surprised at how lax security situations like that are. Especially with more security everyone else assumes that somebody else has that sector covered. It's a delicate balance between too much and too little manpower.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Yep. People need to remember that we're a country with a innocent until proven guilty ideology. And I am sure that law enforcement won't simply stop working to investigate leads because they've made one arrest.
Agreed.

Richard Jewell was a suspect and had his life ruined because of it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sitting back now and using our brains yeah, but easily could just have assumed nobody would take notice, since there was a million people there and most were watching the race, if it was me id bank alot on me getting away would be due to the massive amounts of people around you dont really stick out.
I feel like the only way you could escape after doing this is if you caught a flight outside the US immediately after detonation. And if you went overseas I can only assume that when you got to immigration you'd be taken there.

I just don't see how it'd be possible to drop off a package in an area like that and detonate it within a minute of dropping it off and not get caught.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless you believe a single person was able to drop off a backpack in one spot, go and retrieve a second one, drop that one off, and manage to get far away enough from the scene without getting blown up themselves. All without anyone in the enormous crowd saying, "Hey, why the fuck is there a backpack sitting there?"

There's almost no possible way this was a single person acting alone.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you believe a single person was able to drop off a backpack in one spot, go and retrieve a second one, drop that one off, and manage to get far away enough from the scene without getting blown up themselves. All without anyone in the enormous crowd saying, "Hey, why the fuck is there a backpack sitting there?"

There's almost no possible way this was a single person acting alone.
True enough. I wasn't thinking critically when reading your post.

Anyways Pete Williams from NBC reporting that no arrest has been made per his sources and the U.S. Attorney's office in Boston

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I feel like the only way you could escape after doing this is if you caught a flight outside the US immediately after detonation. And if you went overseas I can only assume that when you got to immigration you'd be taken there.

I just don't see how it'd be possible to drop off a package in an area like that and detonate it within a minute of dropping it off and not get caught.
Idk there is so much going on people are in their own worlds, the hardest part would be the first bomb after that mass confusion is on your side.

Like you said the bombs werent there before hand they did a pretty intense sweep that would have most likely spotted these, so if they werent there at the start they had to eventually have been placed during the race, only what makes logical sense to me but im far from intelligent.